Safe water

MarkP
By MarkP on Sun, Sep 15, 2013 - 10:17am

Hi, I'm new to the group. Looking to install a good whole house filter for water. We are in a non-fluoridated town, but I'm still concerned about water quality. Considering reverse osmosis. Any experience here? Recommendations?

6 Comments

FreeNL's picture
FreeNL
What are your isues? Is your

What are your isues?

Is your water cloudy or have fine suspended particles?

Does it have an odor and/or color?

What treatment method does your town use (Chlorine?) and how old is your towns water system? 

Does your water leave hard water stains after a while, especially on metal.

Have you had your water tested?

How many boil orders can you remember in the last 10 years?

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Water filtration

I was very concerned with our municipal tap water supply which is supposed to be very good but I just don't trust anyone anymore. So I did my homework and opted for the 5 stages reverse osmosis system but only for the drinking water. It produces approx. 3 gallons daily enough for a family. I've got this system in stalled in 2 houses under the kitchen sink. I  change the regular filters once a year and the main reverse osmosis membrane once every 3 years. There's a last small filter for taste which is changed every 2 years. All very easy maintenance and doesn't require electricity or counter top space.

I wouldn't recommend this system if you have more than, hmmm if my memory serve me 120 or 140 ppm. If you have well water you might need a pre filter to bring down your ppm down below 140 ppm and you also might need a pump to add pressure so the system can work. 

I'm very pleased with them and sometimes I'm stuck to drink regular tap water and the chlorine smell just get to me aughh.

Hoped this helped a bit. 

NN

http://www.aquasafecanada.com

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Buying drinking water in bulk

For the past year, my family has been buying its drinking water in bulk. It's surprisingly affordable, especially when adding in the peace of mind.

As most PP readers know, my family moved to the country last year. Our (rental) house is on a well, and when the winter rains started, our tap water turned orange. Turns out there's a lot of iron in the soil.

Of course, that got me wondering about what else is in the soil. We are surrounded by farms of one sort or another. For decades, many of them used pesicides and other nasty chemicals (arsenic, etc).

Our house does have a filtering system installed, but it stopped working years before we moved in. The quotes I've received to get it running again start in the several hundreds of dollars.

So, intially out of necessity, I started buying water from the local market. They have one of those big dispensers that lets you choose between reverse osmosis or 100% distilled water (I choose the former).

I have two 5-gallon containers that it costs me $4 to fill up ($0.40 per gallon). We go through about 20 gallons a month. $8/mo for safety I can count on is a bargain in my book.

(It also shines a light on what a rip-off single servings of bottled water are. A 12 fl oz bottle of branded water at the same market costs around $1. That's 26x more expensive per fuild ounce!)

As part of my emergency preps, I have a stainless steel water filter with ceramic candles in storage. If we ever find ourselves unable to buy drinking water in bulk in the future, I'll use the filter to purify what we get from our well.

RoseHip's picture
RoseHip
How close is the nearest natural spring

Here in the pacific northwest we have fair amount of natural springs one can collect water from. The closest one to my house is about 20 miles located directly adjacent to the highway. I have four 10 gallon containers and a 55 gallon drum I periodically fill up when needed. As a bonus now my girls ages 3 and 5 will only drink this water saying the tap water taste funny. They have formed the opinion that this spring water is sacred or at least of a higher quality. I hear them often talking about small drops that they spill. Often times these sources are well known by the locals and the info is keep just between close friends. I recommend finding out where the closest one to your family is.

Rose

Mallinson's picture
Mallinson
Water filtration

Hi,

I came across the LifeSaver system some time ago, see http://www.lifesaversystems.com/_blog/LIFESAVER_Blog/post/how-water-purification-disaster-relief/

These filters can filter out virus sized particles and make the very worst water drinkable. I thought that having such a device on hand, (the bottle can filter 6000 litres of water and a gerry can sized one can also be had) would reduce the need to have so much water stored. One can also buy a similar more portable device called the Life Straw. Hikers and Trampers can carry these without having to carry lots of water. I thought these would be ideal to have onhand and as part of the emergency kit.

Paul

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
water filtration

My simple solution was to 'install' a ceramic candle type (Berkey is one brand) filter on a shelf just over the edge of our kitchen sink.  Without moving it we fill it with tap water with the sink sprayer and only drink and cook with this water.  As long as you remember to replace what you take out it is very low maintenance.  After one year I have yet to replace a filter.  Initial cost is a few hundred dollars, follow on cost is nil. You can filter out fluoride with one type of filter if this is a concern.  It is also very resiliant in that you can use it with just about any water (think rain barrel, creek, pond) in an emergency.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments