Annual National Heirloom Exposition

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Thu, Sep 12, 2013 - 10:02am

Yesterday, I took a trip to the 3rd annual National Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa, CA ("The most anticipated pure food event of the year").

I first heard about it about it a month ago, when Jere Gettle mentioned it to me in our interview on growing heirloom seeds. I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Turns out, the event is a kind of Nirvana for folks interested in resilient living.

There was an amazing abundance of farm-fresh food everywhere. Both being sold for immediate consumption or as part of commercial or educational displays showing techniques for growing it yourself.

Along with the food were acres of exhibits of sustainable services and technologies. Aquaponics kits, natural-fiber clothing lines, beekeeping classes, CSAs, low-footprint camping gear, non-GMO seeds -- a huge parade.

I was struck by how many of these businesses were owned & operated by younger couples. These are the Gen Yers/millennials who are rejecting the broken societal narrative and stepping into the future promoted in this site's Resilient Life section.

We talk about the real need and the value of folks having the courage to do this. It was very inspiring to see and meet a number of people who actually are.

If you have the opportunity to visit the festival, I give it a strong recommendation. Unfortunately, today is the last day for this year, but it will happen again this same time next year.

I met up with Jere while there (a painfully nice guy), and he said it just gets bigger every year. Which is heartening to learn. 

6 Comments

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Big friggin' pumpkin

Among all the exhibits described above, the Heirloom Expo has a traditional "largest pumpkin" content.

Here's this year's winner, weighing in at almost 1,400 pounds!

AKGrannyWGrit's picture
AKGrannyWGrit
Suggestion

Thanks Adam, recommendations are very helpful. Suggestion/question, under the "events" box which is to announce events for Peak Prosperity perhaps including expositions like the one you attended woud be useful. Something to ponder perhaps.

Ak GrannyWGrit

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Agree

That's a fine suggestion, Granny.

In this case, I wasn't planning on attending the festival - the opportunity kind of came up suddenly. 

But it sure would have been nice to enjoy it with fellow PPers. I'll make sure to give notice of any similar events Chris and/or I may be attending (and for other good ones, even if we aren't able to attend) as far in advance as possible.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
that sounds wonderful

If you took any more pictures, please share them! I noticed the same thing with young people rejecting the broken narative in some encounters at the store today. I was buying materials to promote my Farmer's Market table at a hobby store, and one young employee said she was starting her own dairy with her fiancé. They are into resillience big time and very optimistic about their future. And excited about being close to nature: they also raise chickens and ducks and the first ducklings are due to hatch next week.

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Daily Prep - List of heirloom seed companies

Just posted a daily prep with a link to a list of 100+ heirloom seed companies.  Happy planting folks.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/dailyprep/82934/100-heirloom-seed-companies

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Curious for more info

Wendy - I am curious to learn more about the dairy operation you described.  Did you inquire what type of dairy (cow or goat) and if they were going to be under the radar or a licensed commercial operation?  From the readings I have done - dairy operations are a hard way to go at a small scale if you are going the commercial / licensed route.  But things are a changing.  :)

I know I am $25 richer this week for selling for dog food dairy products.  Cats and dogs just love fresh made goats cheese!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments