beginning the journey... in my mid 40's

personalliberty
By personalliberty on Thu, Aug 22, 2013 - 7:31am

My company is laying off and all signs point...... to me - as well as other's (don't want to be selfish here!).  It started with low rating on an annual performance review; shockingly low.  I just didn't have any idea that my contributions were so ill respected.  At this point, I started going through the stages of grief : denial, anger, bargaining, depression and on my way to acceptance at this point.  Keep in mind, I'm not laid off yet - that list comes out in October but their are many signs : targeting of managers, low annual ratings, business isn't as well as expected in my area, and my boss starting our annual review session with "... the company believes they can find better talent on the open market than keep lower rated employees..."  I felt like a seal clubbed in the back of the head.

I, like Adam, am in high-tech.  I'm a manager at a very successful, global, prestigious, well known company.  in fact, I have, in my mind, always wanted to work here someday.  However, I can tell you, I am not fulfilled in any sort of way except monetarily.  I make great money but feel quite dead and empty.

I purchased Adam's book because of his high tech story and the path he has gone down and am looking forward to reading and putting it into action.  Even if I don't get the bullet between the eyes, I'm starting a different path and the first step is with this book... should arrive in a day or two from amazon.

support and hugs to all out there who can relate... 

8 Comments

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
We're here for you

Ugh - hearing the "dead & empty" description of your job in the corporate grind sure brings back unpleasant memories. In fact, I'm hearing that same story more frequently now from the contacts I still have in Silicon Valley.

I know it doesn't feel great right now, but kudos to you for having the awareness and courage to face the writing you're seeing on the wall. Most people don't take Step 1 until forced to by a pink slip. You're already ahead of the pack.

I think (and hope!) you'll find the book a good resource at this early stage. If being a high-tech manager/executive isn't your fantasy job, then spend your focus right now on the exercises in Stage One (the first third of the book). My advice is to get through as many of them as you can before October -- just in case your name is indeed on that list. You'll be much better prepared for what comes next if you already have that foundational work completed.

Realize, too, that the Peak Prosperity community is here to offer ideas, feedback and/or emotional support as you may need it. We've all experienced the angst of uncertainty at times in our lives & are here to pay things back/forward if we can. Don't hestiate to lean on us.

And please keep us up-to-date on your journey. (I, for one, will be interested to hear what use you find the book)

cheers,

Adam 

Jim H's picture
Jim H
PersonalLib

Keep your chin up... as a fellow manager in Fortune 100 High Tech, my view is that we are entering a period of Corp. EPS-driven brutality like we have never seen before.  Think about it.. most corporations have adopted the model of promising continous, linear EPS growth to Wall Street.. much of which has been (successsfully) made to happen in the last few years through outsourcing, moving jobs to lower cost geo's, buying back shares, and all kinds of accounting chicanery.  The goal of every Exec is EPS growth or die.  Now though we are in a world where growth rates are shrinking if not negative... How are corporations supposed to grow EPS now, going forward, when business is down and most of the easy EPS-boosting bullets have been used?  Forget about organic revenue growth... maybe you can get a little if you steal market share.. but in general the game is coming to an end.  The option no longer exists at my company to use saved cash to ride through bad periods... no way.. it's boost EPS or die.  The corporations are complicit along with the FED in their vain attempts to abolish the business cycle... good luck with that.

You are doing well in facing this head-on, as Adam has said.  I really feel for you.. and could easily be in your shoes tomorrow.  If you would like an additional resource beyond Adam's book and all of us here, send me a private message and I will forward you the contact info. for my brother - he is a therapist in Seattle who successfully navigated the transition from High Tech to his new career later in life, and he has a thriving practice there helping folks like you and me navigate the corp. waters, and sometimes helping us to find our underlying passions, and in the process, our way to a new career.  I am sure he would entertain some phone sessions.  All the Best,  Jim 

Gratidude's picture
Gratidude
Get ready for a great ride

Hi PersonalLibery. What I particularly like about Adam's book is the concrete process. You sound like a person who appreciates the same. I'm 46 years old an I've read probably six books on this subject (and received some value from each of them) but most books I found focus on the "follow-your-bliss" or "you-can-do-anything" mindset and that's really not the info I need. I started in late June and now I'm well into Adam's process (doing research on specific jobs) and have had two delightful epiphanies. I will say that it's taken most of my free time outside of my day-job so prepare to work, take tests, ask friends for help, write about inner-most thoughts, network in a new industry, and write some more. I suggest having a dedicated notebook to keep all thoughts and papers on the subject. I've woken up from dreams and needed to immediately record my right-livelihood ideas. And it's all been empowering and eye-opening. I can't wait to be unemployed!

I'm posting my journey in this group under the "Following your technique Adam" thread if you want to read the gritty details. I'll post more there soonish. 

And Jim H - I completely agree re EPS and I think it goes further than that. The economy as a whole is running out of things to monetize. Practically every single activity in the country has been turned into a product/service and costs money now. I think the only place for further monetization is in the diminishing returns of technology. Welcome to the end of the Monopoly(tm) game. 

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Augh ... It's happening everywhere!

My boyfriend has been out of work for 3-5 years off and on. He was in avionics marketing, traveling the world and then poof ! Now he works here and there with his buddy installing and assembling office furniture and taking care of the daily stuff at home. A great mind going to waste at the moment. At least he has a great moral and so do I. 

I bought Adam's book and we will work on that during my Christmas vacation when  i have time. 

Personliberty I will sent you good vibes. I know it sounds corny but there it is. 

NN

personalliberty's picture
personalliberty
beginning the journey... in my mid 40's -- thank you

Adam -

thanks for the caring response and guidance.  I relate to your story and see that you have made a successful transition and would like to emulate your experience via your book.  I will give you some feedback on your book and how well it works for me personally.  I hear you on feeling dead/empty in this career.  It's a real task to drink the corporate kool-aid anymore - it's time to go.  I'm almost looking forward to getting laid off to leverage severance to find a new path to something more fulfilling; less money is OK with me and happiness is key.

I will concentrate of the first 1/3 of the book as recommended and provide you some feedback to your book - thank you.

side note : I'm starting a raised bed garden now and planning the crop for spring next year.  I read your blog and analyzed your pics of your garden - this was very, very helpful.  I am buying/planting fruit & nut trees in the fall.  I'm going to try the gutter berries (strawberries) as well.

thank you again Adam

kevin

personalliberty

JimH -

thank you for the words of confidence and guidance.  I hear you on EPS - we are no different in our corporate culture; earn or die.  We are very dependent on govt spending in my specific sector and that is doing nothing but contracting (as we - amerika - are bankrupt).  Thanks for the tips and guidance on Adam's book - looking forward to getting this journey on.  Too funny about your brother going from high-tech to being a therapist and I will reach out should I feel that need for his help; very much appreciate the offer.

Also, good luck to you and stay sane at your company.  :-)

PLiberty

personalliberty

thank you Gratidude !

I will get a notebook, carry it to work and keep it by the bed.  I do appreciate the comments on the "concrete guidance" as this is exactly what I like and agree with you.  Thanks for steering me clear of "follow your bliss" as these are not realistic.  I will take a look at your blog and am curious as to your two epiphanies.  I dig your profile pic - got a chuckle out of it!

PLiberty

personalliberty

NN - thanks for the words of encouragement and helps me put my life in perspective hearing about your personal experiences with your boyfriend.  Humbling and prepares me for what might come.  Thank you kindly for the positive vibes - not corny.  :-)

Pliberty

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments