'Super Honey' Healing Soldiers & Killing Superbugs

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Tue, Aug 20, 2013 - 12:05am

An entrepreneur is funding R&D to heighten honey's natural antiseptic powers and create a natural super-healing salve.

Initial reported results of the resulting "Surgihoney" product are promising:

• Wounds and ulcers, including those infected with the superbug MRSA, healed within days
  • The number of women who suffered infections after giving birth by caesarean section halved
  • Treated acne and protected the skin of recovering cancer patients

Says a doctor involved in the year-long field tests that have recently concluded:

Dr Dryden said: ‘I have conducted numerous laboratory tests and compared it with honeys from around the world.

‘I found Surgihoney better for treating every type of bug. So for the past year I have been using it on patients and the results have been amazing.

'There are plenty of products that can kill bacteria but they often don’t help heal tissue.

‘Honey is a fantastic natural medicine. The important extra is that it kills the bugs but doesn’t damage the tissue.’

The full article can be read here.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Beekeeping Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of bee enthusiasts share information, insights and knowledgable daily discussion to help each other support and nuture the pollinators our food supply is so dependent on. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

2 Comments

robshepler's picture
robshepler
Wound treatment

Great article Adam!

There are some clinical trials occurring here in New Mexico with a particular regional honey for treatment of MRSA, I can't seem to get the link to the article to paste....

Sure seems like another great reason to keep some bees around when things start to wind down. Skeptic that I am of alternative medicine, I have heard quite a few first hand experiences with the benefits of bee sting therapy, from MS to arthritis. 

Trun87114's picture
Trun87114
Just honey?

Great find, Adam.  One more reason to keep bees.

I'm sure it's proprietary but I really wonder what they are doing to the bees or the honey to supercharge the anti-bacterial properties.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments