Energy Tomorrow

LisaR
By LisaR on Sat, Jul 27, 2013 - 8:51am

I just saw a commercial on television that caught my attention. So much so that I rewound and transcribed it. Here it is...

-----------
Americans are asking, "Just what will our energy future look like."

Well it could look very bright.

New technologies are safely unlocking vast domestic supplies of oil and natural gas like energy from shale. And with smart policies we can create even more great jobs and could generate billions to fund schools, roads and other services.

So what does all that look like? A secure energy future for generations to come.

Log on to learn more. EnergyTomorrow.org"

-----------

I was initially just focused on and impressed by the composition of the marketing message. But then I started to wonder about who EnergyTomorrow.org is.

I went to the site and noticed that three of the 5 menu items were Energy, Economy, and Environment (sound familiar?)

Does anyone know anything about his group? Friend or Foe?

Lisa

10 Comments

e4's picture
e4
Petroleum industry

Found this on their web site

http://www.energytomorrow.org/who-we-are

Advocacy
We speak for the petroleum industry to the public, Congress and the Executive Branch, state governments and the media, through programs like Energy Tomorrow. We negotiate with regulatory agencies, represent the industry in legal proceedings, participate in coalitions and work in partnership with other associations to achieve our members’ public policy goals.

Phil Williams's picture
Phil Williams
American Petroleum Institute

Lisa,

This organization is run by API, so it is essentially a lobbying arm for the petroleum industry. I looked through the site a little, and some of the information is wrong. For example:

Technological innovations like hydraulic fracturing, a nearly 60-year old process that is used to drill 35,000 wells in the United States each year, are opening the door to new discoveries of unconventional shale plays. It’s estimated that the United States now has as much as 2,000 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas, or a 100-year supply. In a world where access to natural resources plays a key role in nations’ economies, our natural gas wealth has far-reaching implications for our economic recovery, foreign policy and energy security. - See more at: http://energytomorrow.org/energy-101/natural-gas#sthash.oAEWKUa6.dpuf

In th above excerpt, they are taking current rates of consumption, and all of our estimatable recoverable reserves. They are not taking into consideration that we might want to use more energy in the future, or what the cost of those recovering the resource is going to be. I doubt we will get every drop, and for all the talk of our vast wealth of nat gas, we still import from Canada. The BIG thing that is wrong with the excerpt is that recoverable reserves are nowhere near the figure given. See the article from the NY Times in the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/us/new-data-not-so-sunny-on-us-natural-gas-supply.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The EIA has the number at 827 trillion cubic feet. The USGS recently downgraded the estimates of recoverable reserves of gas. So, with the new number, we have more like 40 years, IF we can recover everything economically, and IF we don't use more than we are using now, or god forbid export.

The only way American energy independence is going to happen is if we all become dramatically poorer.

LisaR's picture
LisaR
New commercial

Thanks for the info. That points me in the right direction to learn more.

So Phil and Ed, if we wrote our own commercial, would it would go something like...
"American's are asking - Just what will our energy future look like? Well it could look very bright. Technologies that have been around for decades (and are just waiting in the wings for funding) could be further developed that will allow us to use our limited resources and exploit our sustainable resources more efficiently then ever before. And with smart policies we can create more jobs and could generate billions to fund schools, roads, and other services. So what does that future look like? Learn more at PeakProsperity.com.

Hehehe
Lisa

susanattheville's picture
susanattheville
Billboards, too!

Hey all!

While Susan and I were driving through Pennsylvania, we saw billboards promoting the 100 year supply of natural gas notion. In New York state, we saw "banner billboards" promoting the passage of "safe drilling legislation" - AS IF!  It's enough to make you take up some of the billboard removal actions Edward Abbey wrote about in "The Monkey Wrench Gang". Of course I would never resort to violence, but if you want to see a very irate side of me, just ask me about some of my personal experience with Marcellus gas well drilling. My father signed agreements a few years back to allow these operations on what remains of our ancestoral farm in SW Pennsylvania, a farm that has been in our family since the end of the Revolutionary War - and that my first generation American ancestor received as payment for his service in the Pennsylvania militia. My anger about this is only assuaged by the fact that the land was probably stolen from the Seneca tribe before being handed on to my ancestors! What goes around, comes around, I guess...

Thanks Lisa for starting the thread, and to you Phil and Edson for great contributions to it.

We'll be in touch.

Jeff and Susan

LisaR's picture
LisaR
Marcellus gas well drilling

Hi Jeff,

Well I don't want to incite anger, but I am curious about your experience with Marcellus gas well drilling.

Lisa

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
What to do?

So would you look at a hybrid car or all electric?  If TSHTF can you recharge the electric? Obviously bicycle as much as possible, but work entails driving at some point. Personally I want a scooter :)

vicky

Yoxa's picture
Yoxa
Scooters

>> Personally I want a scooter.

Consider one of these:

http://www.xootr.com/kick-scooter_mg.html

I have the Street model, which is built for riders up to 300 pounds (or a smaller rider with a pack.) It is sturdy enough that it will likely last longer than I do. I don't have personal experience with the other models, but they get good reviews too.

The Xootrs are great for distances up to a mile or thereabouts, assuming you have smooth road or sidewalk surfaces. You could certainly go longer, but there comes a point where the greater speed and mechanical efficiency of a bicycle starts starts to justify the extra parking / storage / handling needed for a bike.

The Xooter models fold small enough you could easily carry one while you hop on or off public transit. It would be roughly like carrying a golf bag.

Recommended!

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Scooter

Thanks. Tho I was thinking of the 15 mile drive to work. 

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Scooter

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Scooter

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments