Building real community

e4
By e4 on Fri, Jul 26, 2013 - 12:21pm

So after being home for a few days, I made an alarming discovery. Our driveway slopes downhill toward our garage, and with the heavy rains all spring and summer, water has occasionally flowed into our garage. Not to the point of flooding, but certainly damp. When I went down to the garage after returning from the trip, I found mold growing EVERYWHERE.

So now I'm probably looking at a very expensive project to get all the moldy drywall out and replace it with new drywall. And dig a drainage channel across the driveway. And maybe new garage doors too, since a door that won't close all the way may be contributing the the runoff and the high humidity.

All so I can get back to where we were a few months ago.

And all I can think is: If I had a network of like-minded people locally, I could get help with the labor of removing the drywall and digging the drainage, maybe expertise or connections to someone who knows how to deal with this, advice on what (if anything) could be done in place of drywall in a higher humidity environment...

So I'm ready to get serious. But how? What are my next steps?

9 Comments

e4's picture
e4
Trying to figure it out...

I like the idea mentioned at Kripalu of setting up regular showings of the Crash Course DVDs. But from a logistical standpoint, I'm not sure exactly what to do. How do I find a venue? How big of a venue would I need? (Probably not big at least to start with.) Who could lend me equipment to set up a screening?

And if I get those questions figured out, how do I get the word out? I live in a rural setting so i don't really have neighbors per se. What kind of wording would push people (people like us) from "oh that might be interesting" to "we should really go to that"?

I may have the wrong skill set. But at least I'm motivated I guess. :)

- Edson

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Community to tap for answers

Edson -

Sorry to hear about your mold issue. That's a pain to deal with.

I'd highly recommend you connect with Mark (from Canada) from the seminar. He runs his own successful home mold-removal business and I'm sure can give you expert advice on what next steps to take.

As for mobilizing your community to watch the Crash Course, I did reach out to the gentleman from Sonora, CA we mentioned at the seminar who has been extremely successful with his efforts. He gave me his OK to connect the two of you over email, which I'll do now.

cheers,
Adam

LisaR's picture
LisaR
One idea

Hi Ed,

Ugh sorry to hear about the mold. That is a big job. Reminds me of the Weaver story.

I think it's cool that, as a result of what you learned at the seminar, you are now framing your experiences and thoughts around the benefits of community. I see my thoughts shifting in similar ways.

What was interesting to me about Adam's comment, is that Adam knew who could help. Adam is a networker (and a damn good one). I think part of next steps are following that excellent example. Moving forward, get to know the skills of everyone you meet, and always be thinking about who can help whom in your community. That is one, of many, ways to bring people together.

re: getting the word out
Are there any places in your town that already have little events? Like a coffee shop of any kind of meeting place? Maybe try to find the places where the people who are already inclined to be social are hanging out, and start your screenings there. They are probably your best publicists too.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

- Lisa

e4's picture
e4
Thanks Adam

If I don't have a local community yet at least I have a virtual one. Thanks for your help!

e4's picture
e4
The weaver story

Excellent point. That black dog unraveled some things for me while I was stirring the soup. Better get back to weaving.

That's a good idea on finding meeting places. Every Saturday night during the summer they do this "Saturdays in Saxapahaw" thing. At the bottom of this hill they have a farmers market and some local musicians playing, and everybody brings blankets and chairs and hangs out on the hillside. They set up a huge slip-and-slide for the kids with tarps and hoses, and drop some round bales of straw for them to climb on. And it's a free event.

It's not a small gathering, probably a couple hundred people or more, but if I can make myself a regular, maybe I can start making some connections.

Thanks for your perspective.

- Edson

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Wording

I'd love to talk with your contact too. 

I have the venue but need help with the hook, draw, wording. 

Thx

Vicky 

e4's picture
e4
A plan (of sorts)

So I had an exchange with Coop, and what I learned is that he was in a better position to make things happen in his community, because he already had a lot of connections and some social capital to work  with.

Since the seminar, I've realized that community is my weak link. I mean I live in an area with a lot of great things going on. The problem is, I've never really made myself a part of it. I need to connect with others and start building trusted relationships and all that. I think I was trying to put the cart before the horse.

So my plan is to start going to the free Saturday night summer festivals in a nearby town that we'd like to move to at some point. Once we're there, I want to make a point of talking to people - not about anything in particular. Just making the effort to meet some folks. Then I'm thinking of getting my boys involved in the local 4-H program. And maybe looking into one of the churches in same town. I don't live in a neighborhood and the few neighbors we do have tend to keep to themselves. And I've been guilty of the same thing myself.

So Step 1: I need to get out more. :)

- Edson

workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569
Good thinking

Hi Edson,

I have been working for almost 20 years on building community in my small rural town. I work on paying it forward a lot and it really shows.  Right now I am on my way to wash dishes at a fund raiser event near my house. Before, I wouldn't have gone to this event.  In my area, people are divided, by choice, into the "Bud Light" crowd and the "micro-brew" crowd. I have been working to bridge this gap and supporting this very worthy cause put on by the camo wearing bud light community is one example.  Keep up the good work.  When the SHTF, one of the things that I believe will show up is a widening of gaps as people get confused. Fascism shows up at times like these and good solid relationships will be needed.

Kate

LisaR's picture
LisaR
re: A Plan (of sorts)

Edson,

I think that is an excellent plan. I love to see all of the positive change that came out of that weekend! And I am glad to see you are getting your kids involved too. Parents naturally bond when their kids are doing activities together.

Lisa

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments