Back to the "real" world

e4
By e4 on Mon, Jul 22, 2013 - 9:16pm

Well, today I survived traffic in Brooklyn & Staten Island, Newark, Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Durham, and the dreaded "Mixing Bowl" I-95/395/495 interchange in Springfield VA. A/C is still out on the car, so my left arm and left knee are well and truly sunburned. Great weekend. Happy to be home. I hope everyone else's travels were safe as well.

- Edson

22 Comments

LisaR's picture
LisaR
Edson - Thanks for starting us off

Glad you made it home safely (other than the sunburn). It was smooth sailing for me. I am curious to know how the seminar affected your life. I know it had profound effects on me. Many great changes already.

Cheers,

Lisa

e4's picture
e4
Yeah profound effects here

Yeah profound effects here too. I think it did several things for me. It showed me what is possible, especially at the community level. It gave me motivation and focus. And best of all, it gave me ideas about what to do next. If only I didn't have this pesky day job. :)

- Edson

Phil Williams's picture
Phil Williams
Great Group!

I very much enjoyed meeting everyone in Kripalu. I wish we had more time, what a great group of people. I wish you guys were all my neighbors!

dblowe7's picture
dblowe7
The group...

I second that thought, Phil.  As I was traveling home, I was thinking that if we could all have been in the same community, what we could accomplish!  The diversity in backgrounds was a great sampling.  We'll just have to all be neighbors from afar.

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Really enjoyed the weekend

Apple's CEO already bot a rain barrel and enough compost for another garden bed. 

Miracles do happen!

-CEOs trophy wife

e4's picture
e4
Love it!

That made me laugh... :)

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Hallelujah!

Vicky -

Great to hear! Please tell Ken (ahem, Mr Cook) we're proud of him.

Not surprising to learn he started with the rain barrel - something without square corners :)

cheers,

A

dblowe7's picture
dblowe7
Name?

Yeah!  What is he gonna call it?  The iBarrel? ;o)

susanattheville's picture
susanattheville
home now and onto all the easy and hard things

Hey all!

Susan and I arrived home safely after (FINALLY) navigating the clustermuck of boondoggle overpasses and cloverleafs of the Albany, NY area - then nearly running out of gas in Western NY, which is far more remote than I remembered. I mean, how would that have looked - running out of gas in a "SMART" car?  Who was it that said that the difference between a little energy and no energy is an important distinction? All I can say is thank God for gas fumes...

In any case, it was great to meet you all, and what a great seminar with great people in a great location! Susan and I were inspired once again to take up our intermittent yoga practices, and have done 2 sessions together using our purchased video from Kripalu, on Tuesday and again this morning. Feeling wonderful. We are missing the healthy food of Kripalu, even with our own homegrown vittles, and that's saying something. We're not really missing the silent breakfasts - still, we were able to resurrect our hand signal communication skills, as well as pass notes, snorting and giggling most of the time, disrupting the silent mindfulness. I think some egg came out my nose once. But hey, even the Buddha had a sense of humor.

Wanted to express our sincere thanks once again to Chris, Becca and Adam for all their hard work at Peak Prosperity, as well as planning and carrying off an amazing seminar, flexibly tailored "on-the-fly" to meet the needs of our group. Well done - and not at all easy to do!

And our sincere thanks to all the members of the group. In any seminar of this nature, it is your fellow participants who make or break your experience. What a positive group. The hardest part comes now, and in trying to maintain contact. I still like the idea of a reunion. Kripalu is a nice location, and we hope to return within the year. We will keep everyone posted. It's easy to slip back into normal routines. One of my goals was to stay in touch with people. Help me to reach that goal by rattling my cage when you don't hear from me for awhile.

We connected with our "farm sitter" the evening we arrived home. It became an impromptu "teaching in the garden" session - helping Livvy and her 2 kids identify various herbs and plants, and explaining our scientifically devised method of non-weeding and the value of foot high grass in a peak oil world. Luckily, the kids were most interested in our compost pumpkin patch - the one we planted by not turning our compost pile in a timely manner - never underestimate the power of procrastination.

Checked the elderberry crop, and it looks like it will be a good harvest, and by extension, the makings of a very merry Christmas.  We'll warm a glass for each of you.

Cheers! Jeff & Susan

P.S. Ask me about my recipe for apple mint julep sometime...

susanattheville
No chickens yet?

Hope it works out for you to add chickens in to your situation. They really add many benefits - eggs, fertilizer, an another interesting channel of "Farm TV" to tune into on a regular basis.

Best Wishes - Jeff & Susan

Denise Williams's picture
Denise Williams
Ditto!

I totally concur with everyone. I'm so thankful to have met you all and glad that you all made it home in one piece. I wish I could move you all within walking distance of Phil and me.

Adam, Chris,and Becca I want to thank you for your insights and of course your drive to share.

I 'm so glad that Becca discussed her community purchasing raw milk. Phil and I live near a mennonite run market which sells raw milk and cheese. It is wonderful! If you have not tried it, I highly recommend it.

I just received a rather large donation to get more books for my classroom library. Yeah! I'm in the midst of convncing my principal that all of the books will be school appropropriate (Blah, Blah, school politics:(  Anyway,  I'm trying to stay positive:) So, if any of you have book suggestions please feel free to send  them my way. I teach 7th grade, so many can handle high school and adult reading levels. The books can be ones that have to with topics discussed at Kripailu and/ or something you loved now or as kid.

P.S. The Crash Course and Finding Your Way to an Authentic Career will be on the shelf!

Thanks so much!

Denise:)

LisaR's picture
LisaR
Almost a week

It's been almost a week and I find that I am really missing you all. There is so much more to talk about!! I agree with Phil. I wish we were all neighbors.

I also find that I am really bad at figuring out who is who, especially the ones without pictures. I am piecing most of it together, but if you feel comfortable, maybe add some additional clue about yourself in your comments (for those of us who are name challenged).

Loved your post Jeff & Susan :-)

Cheers!
Lisa

JonathanF's picture
JonathanF
Hi Everyvody

It was so wonderful meeting you all.  Thank you all so much for making Tara and my experience so memorable.

Jeff, we're definitely up for a reunion - keep us posted, and we'll be there.

I already took a small step - bought a six month supply of cat food, so I can add one more check to the list.

-Jonathan

susanattheville
Great to hear from you.

Jonathan and Tara -

Glad to hear you guys are building your resilience. Susan and I did not buy more cat food yet, because we thought our cat had packed his kitty bag and left. Finally he showed up this morning - he is an outdoor cat, and won't stick around for "strangers" taking care of things for us, though he does sneak in to eat his food. We were very happy to see him, and to hear from you.

We are hoping to get back to Kripalu within the year. With you guys setting up digs in that area, we sure hope to reconnect. And of course, if you ever get to Missouri, we hope you'll be able to swing by and see us.

Any word from Eric. I'd still like to get that book discussion thread going, starting with "Blood of the Earth".

Cheers to you, and stay in touch!

Jeff and Susan

susanattheville
Books

Denise -

Susan and I will be thinking of book titles. I like your creative way of thinking about how to get around bureaucrats in the education business, rather than being stymied by them or fighting. I need to learn from your example. I'll be in touch when school gets going for me. I'll also be working with 7th graders, and will certainly need some tips from a pro.

Best Wishes

Jeff and Susan

e4's picture
e4
Book titles

I'd suggest The Man Who Created Paradise by Gene Logsdon. Very inspiring to me (Gene is kind of a hero of mine.) It's a short story, but very readable, and packs in a lot of great concepts. You can actually read the whole story online here if you're interested.

And I can't resist the chance to shamelessly suggest a book that contains a short story I wrote: After Oil, edited by John Michael Greer.

- Edson

Denise Williams's picture
Denise Williams
Book Titles

Edson,

Thanks so much for the book suggestions!  They sound fantastic! I'm so glad you included what you wrote. Phil and I are super excited to read that!

Thanks again,

Denise:)

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
I'm so into all your enthousiam!!!

It's gives me such a burst of joy connectinig with like minded people !! If only all of you and my Kripalu 2012 Group could be my neighbors!!

I might go back in 2014.

Love you all.

NN

JonathanF's picture
JonathanF
definite yes on the book discussion

I'm still down in Florida closing my business (and going a bit out of my mind in the process), but I'll be back to my normal life this weekend.  I'll reread the book and get back to you.

Jon

Phil Williams's picture
Phil Williams
After Oil

Edson,

I am going to get your book for my kindle. It's kind of BS how Greer gets the press for the authors in the book. I think it's a fantastic accomplishment to write a book! I will let you know what I think after I read it.

Phil

susanattheville
Right on! I've got lots of

Right on! I've got lots of underlined passages I wanted to get your take on. Best of luck with all your transition work from Florida. We'll catch up as things begin to slow down for you.

take care - Jeff

e4's picture
e4
After Oil

It's okay, my story is only one of many in the book, and it wouldn't have existed in the first place if he hadn't made it happen. We all get a share of the royalties (which doesn't amount to much when split so many ways). I'd love to be able to turn my short story into a novel one day, but so far it's been too daunting. I've actually been trying to write a non-fiction book, which I find much less challenging, but life keeps giving me other priorities. Thanks for the interest though.

PS - Loved the Survivalist podcast you posted about. It made me want to quit my job and follow in your footsteps...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments