Gleaning and foraging

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Thu, Jul 4, 2013 - 12:23pm

Anyone out there taking advantage of gleaning and foraging opportunities?

As I write this, I'm eyeing my neighbor's cherry tree and trying to figure out how to get the cherries down out of it.  I think I'm going to engage my kids in a little shake-the-tree action this afternoon, if I can get my neighbor's permission. Mmmmmm, pie.....

I've also been keeping an eye on edible greens in my small in-town yard...I've had plenty of greens from my garden and CSA, but part of me says, try this stuff and don't let it go to waste.  I see lots of plantain, violet, lamb's quarters...daylily can also be used...maybe this is also a gardening post, but to me, it's part of frugality:  What can I eat for free from my yard?

Have you done any scoping-out of your neighborhood to find similar forageable or gleanable food?

6 Comments

kellyr's picture
kellyr
Gleaning in the back yard

Yes, not only do we eat weeds, I plant them.

Our lamb's quarters has naturalized and it's all over.  We also have red orach, violets, dandelion, salad burnet (planted seed several years ago and it comes up volunarily),  I have others, Oh, nasturtiums, which sometimes come up a second year, but don't count on it.  I also planted french sorrel a couple of years ago, and it comes up every year regularly, and it appears early. Lemon verbena is another addition to salads and iced tea.

I make a point of planting edible perrenials. I don't have much sun but my "weeds" don't need it, so we can feed ourselves.

Would love to hear other ideas.

Kelly

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
Wild edibles in the backyard

Kelly wrote: "I make a point of planting edible perrenials. I don't have much sun but my "weeds" don't need it, so we can feed ourselves."

Me too!  I have planted nettles, ground elder, woodruff ,  dandelion, Jack-in-the-busch, creeping thistle, starweed, plantain, coltsfoot and we (zone 8) are eating it from mid april to november. Tasted good and had a lot more vitamins and minerals than "normal" garden fruits and veggies.

Foraging too is a lot of fun!! This year I made jelly from roseflower and from woodruff and syrup from fir and also from elderberry blossoms - it's so delicious and a much welcome gift to others.

Thank you Amanda for bringing up this topic!

Yours Regina from northern Germany

annie.grace's picture
annie.grace
Huckleberries, mmm...!

Huckleberry season is coming up--can't wait!  There are also lots of wild raspberries around town too.  Delicious!  Now if I could just figure out how to get ahold of canning supplies... apparently they've gone out of production a generation or two ago here in Norway.  We usually freeze berries but it would be nice to have an alternative.

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
Canning supplies in Europe

Hi Annie,

oh, I love huckleberries so much! Here in northern Germany near the danish border we have lots and lots of huckleberry-fields in the forests - but since 5-6 years no huckleberries at all -:((( Don't know, what happend to them.

Re "canning": I have ordered my canning supplies at the original producers webshop. They have the whole range of canning supplies and the prices are ok. Weck is the name of the producer - even my grandmother had these "Weck" Canning Supplies and in Germany you name the process Ein"weck"ein...

All the best to norway

Regina

maceves's picture
maceves
Dandelion

I wonder if I could say I planted dandelion on purpose with a straight face.

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
Dandelion

Lol!

But when you taste your first selfmade dandelion flower liquer or dandelion flower jelly, I think, that you think that it would be a good idea to plant more of them -:)))

Some dandelion leaves in the salad are a wonderful supplement full of vitamins and minerals!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments