Things I will miss the most

jasonw
By jasonw on Fri, Jun 21, 2013 - 8:47pm

In a collapse scenario or just following our current trend of a slow decline in our quality of life, what are the things that you cherish the most and would rather not live without? What are those irreplaceable items/conveniences that would make living really really hard if you did not have them? And what are you doing to ensure you and your future generations have those items?

For me the top item is refrigeration. With refrigeration, food security becomes a whole lot easier to manage.  Actions I am taking to ensure I have refrigeration in the long term are working on building a biogas digester to power a propane refrigerator and also exploring the construction of a solar ice maker and ice house made from 100% locally sourced materials.  (locally milled lumber, animal fiber insulation, construction knowledge). 

What will you miss the most if/when we get knocked down to a pre-iphone way of life?

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's World Made By Hand Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community explores the methods, experiences, and philosophies of prospering in a world where abundant energy and resources no longer exist. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

54 Comments

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
Chocolate, coffee and white sand.

I live in the pacific northwest. We have great wine, local produce, salmon and all the staple crops one can ask for. Fruit is plentiful.  Water is not a problem provided you are able to filter it.  Temperatures are moderate most of the year.  The things I expect to miss the most are simple luxeries that can't be produced locally. Namely chocolate, and coffee.  I have considered quiting them before they quit me, but I figure as long as I have to live in this pre-collapse melow-drama, I might as well enjoy the luxeries.

I also love to travel and will miss having access to the whole world when I need a change.  Something about a week in Maui always makes the six months of Seattle rain a little more tolerable.  Along those same lines it is going to be an odd day when the internet finally goes down.  I spend so much time now following the goings-on of the rest of the world. I wonder how much news we will get in a world made by hand.  I guess when the world is no longer flat we'll have a lot more work to do at home and the bigger world will matter less.

badScooter's picture
badScooter
if that sort of thing happens

...what I think I will miss most is a sense of security and stability; I mean the kind you don't necessarily have if you live in, say, Somalia or something.  We take much for granted, imperfect as our society is.  Hope is not a strategy, but I surely do hope I'm never remeniscing fondly about long gone basics like a full tummy anytime I want one.

Sometimes I make a point to enjoy whatever commonplace miracle I happen to notice, in the event it goes away.  Things like street lighting, book stores, access to extraordinary medical care that can fix in a blink things that would have killed a fellow a century ago, having a nice craft microbrew without having to know how to brew it myself, etc.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
the luxury of having choices

In any sort of downturn, collapse or slow decline, the net result for the mass of individuals will probably be a longer day of more strenuous toil.  Manually tending a garden.  Walking or biking long distances to do any number of chores.  Today I chose not to go to work.  I may not always have that choice.  Aloha, Steve.

ferralhen's picture
ferralhen
toilet paper and tissue

toilet paper and tissue

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Tuff question

To be totally honest, at 61 I'm not sure I'll be up to the challenge.  I've always been a do it yourselfer, had the good fortune to be able to support myself and family well and had overall good health.  However, advancing arthritis and other things are starting to make it clear that I will not be able to continue to put in long physical days in the garden, cutting firewood or general chores indefinitely.

Also, if the natural gas stops flowing, I'm not sure we can easily survive winters in Wisconsin.  Currently, we are expanding our use of natural gas to generate electiricty, ignoring it's irreplaceable value for other uses.

So, natural gas, the internet, USDA Choice red meat, produce and fruit from the West and Central America, security, roads and decent health care, to name a few things.

I shudder to think of going back to a day when you can't look up information and source purchases on the net.  Yesterday I was looking for a crankshaft for my lawnmower and a manual with instructions on how to replace it.  Today, it will be other things, but I never go a day without looking up something.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to feed ourselves are going to have a much more fundamental diet.  Remember the old movies where people got oranges in their Christmas stocking?  I'm sure they were really excited to get them.

Les

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
I remember getting oranges

I remember getting oranges and exotic nuts in the Christmas stockings when I was young!!! 

I will miss the abondance of choice, the fruits, vegetables, spices , exotic condiments year round. I love to cook recipes from every corner of the planet. Now I understand back in the days they would have community food fairs to figure out who was the best cook with mostly local ingredients. 

I will miss the internet so much. It's my "How to do encyclopedia" about everything at the click of a few fingers. Priceless.

NN

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Bens, or "C" notes

I'm gonna miss the attention and the stuff a pocket fulla fiat still affords. Robie

actually i'm gonna miss diesel fuel and its ready supply

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
petrodollar

I'll miss everything that our current petro dollar affords - even though I know it causes others pain.  Its what I've learned to accept as my world -  and I like it....alot.  Cheap energy, healthcare, food, fuel, housing and so much more - like the important things in life, cold beer....and pizza.  

jgritter's picture
jgritter
pharmacuticasl

I have to weigh in with LesPhelps.  I am going to miss pain medication.  I don't have any practical experience with the cultivation or use of opium, but is very close to the top of my project list. 

Doug's picture
Doug
jgritter wrote: I have to
jgritter wrote:

I have to weigh in with LesPhelps.  I am going to miss pain medication.  I don't have any practical experience with the cultivation or use of opium, but is very close to the top of my project list. 

Although this does not affect me personally (except to the extent that what happens to my friends affects me), a friend who is still young enough to have a highschool age daughter has had a very difficult medical history with a number of life threatening conditions and numerous serious surgeries.  She is totally functional now, holds down a responsible job, and has for the nearly 20 years I have known her.  But, not to put too fine a point on it, without her medications she will die.

I always think about her and her situation when these subjects come up.

Doug

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
antibiotics

And what can you do about thngs like worrying about losing pain meds? You can lean how to make aspirin form willow bark, for one thing.

I thought I would miss olives, so I planted and olive tree. I will miss peanutbutter so I planted peanuts. I will miss tea, so I am planting tea bushes today.

What I worry about the most ares superbugs and lack of antibiotics. Did you know petrochemicals go into antibiotics? Lord, keep me out of those cross-contaminating hospital settings. We need to do whatever we can to increase our healthly immune systems. Raw honey. sunlight and exercise, enough sleep and vitamins....

jgritter's picture
jgritter
meds

Wendy, I'm sorry if I struck a complaining note, that was not my intent. 

Of course there are a great many things that can done.  I am little reluctant to say things like "marijuana" and "opium" too loudly, but no one seems concerned about the fever few and stinging nettles growing wild in my yard.  The thought was more related to being pragmatic about things like how far I can walk in a day ( and whether I can walk the next day at all ), getting on and off the top of a labber, and how to carry a rifle and a walking stick at the same time.

I work in an Emergency Room and super bugs scare the hell out of me. During the Swine Flu outbreak I was repeatedly amazed at how many people, concerned that they might have the flu, would come into the Emergency Room.  Rather then take a couple of Tylenol and some tea with honey, they flocked to the most heavily contaminated place in town were we could do nothing for them.  If the sick don't crush the public health system during the next pandemic, the "concerned well" will.

Are you close enoough to and ocean for salt and far enough south for pepper?  I haven't come up with a solution for those yet.

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Wild Caught Fish

We have become spoiled by the great omega 3's in wild fish. We don't eat any red meat, but have tons of deer on our place, so will have to change to wild red meat for protein. 

Hestia_Bread's picture
Hestia_Bread
what I will miss most

Being able to communicate on the phone with my family and close friends who live in another country; Having easy access to books and to the information on the internet; and having access to baking soda and other basic chemicals that make life so much easier.

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
Penicillin

Wendy,

There are currently to my knowledge no remaining US producers of antibiotics.  Most production has been moved to cheaper regions. I read recently that it's possible to make rudimentary penicillin by tearing up a piece of whole wheat bread and letting it mold in a sealed plastic bag in a warm place. Blue/green mold is the only mold that will work, white mold will not.  Once the bread is covered in mold you tear it up and soak it in water for 4-5 days doing your best to keep the water temperature between 95-100 degrees F.  You then filter out the bread and drink 1-4 ounces a day until symptoms improve. It will keep up to a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator. 

!!!Important!!! I read this on the internet, I have not tried it and do not recommend it.  I am not a doctor or a medical professional, so please don't try this without backing up the research on your own (and if you do please don't hold me liable for your results).

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Jet Fuel

So that I can fly to the opposite coast to visit my family.

Rector's picture
Rector
I have considered this many times and comment to my wife often

The things I will miss most after the collapse are:

1.  Sushi

2.  Shiner Bock beer

3.  The internet

The rest of it can go.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Antibiotics

Welcome to PP Hestia Bread.

I've sucessfully used the hot mashed potato & vinegar poutrice to fight infections about 7-8 times. If the finger gets infected and swollen because of a small cut, you'll need about 4 large potatos. Boil them til they're cooked, drain and mash with vinegar. Place the mashed potatos in a thin cotton (dishcloth) and fold. Wrap the whole infected finger with this poultrice and leave over night. Throw that poultrice in the microwave to reheat it when it cools down. 

As a kid I ran the top of my foot on a pitch fork. The next day my foot had swollen. My mother wrapped that foot in about 5 lbs of this stuff. Next day all gone. 

Seems colloidal silver is making a come back.

NN

Nate's picture
Nate
from the other side

And the thing I will enjoy most is that Krugman and Bernanke will finally get a fork stuck in them and the world will declare their nonsense DONE!

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Gravity.

Real gravity where things fall straight down and dont curve due to the corriolis forces.

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
antibiotics. travel. the dreams of oil.

Stephen Harrod Buhner writes sensibly about plants that heal. I still feel pharmaceuticals are vital and can only officially recommend them but I can also say I have all his books......garlic is good, so is grapefruitseed....etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotics-2nd-Edition-Drug-resistant/dp/1...

I will miss travel. At least knowing that I can travel if I choose. And the internet. And y'all. :)

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
I've contributed

that diesel fuel and its help around the farm is what i'll miss, but there are things i look forward to as well(this should be another thread)

growing up in the deep south during the 60's on a tobacco farm, i feel nostalgic about the heat and the sloooow pace required of field hands esp during the hot mid-day. we would start at first light and take a several hour break often from 11 to 3 or 4 then back to the field till near dark. a vegetable lunch was easy to digest and prompted a nap of an hour or sometimes more. it was common for 3 or more generations to be lying on the heart pine floors of a 10+foot ceiling room (no AC) i imagine it will be alot like my beginings. My fear is for those incapable or unwilling to embrace the austerity.

robie, husband,father,farmer,optometrist

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
Alright, alright

I wanna change my answer, reality tv - mostly dancing with the stars, there, you pried it outta me....happy?!

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Re-runs...

...of the "Love Boat".  Gonna miss cruising (and I'm not even old!)

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Noise.

It is going to become awfully quiet. The wind will blow lonely through the pines.

ferralhen's picture
ferralhen
i'll add to my list: i have a

i'll add to my list:

i have a solar freezer, and refridgerator up and running .so no worry there. i am working on a diet that i can grow here in se michigan. without the coolers. i have a dehydrator and am learning the concepts so when i complete building my solar one, i know what i have to do. so far mexican diet looks like an american diet that can be grow here.

i'm trying to simplify and live the simple life now so i can work out the kinks(while there is energy to help me get the "work" done with "cheap" energy and not "miss" anything later.because-- i am focusing on what do i want and how do i get like it   wendy..(thank you for your post) not on what will be gone. i am proactive now. actually what i am doing is a healthier life style regardless  if things crash and are gone or not. i am lessening my spending of the future piece by piece.

i maintain connection with an ex that is a physician...you know how valueable that is.and yes, the health care system is a mess and i'm staying away from it for as long as possible.....by starting to live healthier even when it means "missing" now things that don't help me be healthy.

i am cultivating locals that can help me(and i emphasize that i do not "use" them....one woman grows meat chickens and trades me for my chemical free produce. i am buying lots of good will with my raspberries. in fact i am quite far in the bartering /trust relationships with many people nearby.actually it's more like gifting that barter....barter still has links to greed and" what do i get" to suit me. and because i am a boomer, i remember when life use to be this way.and  remember when my grandparents talked about life with no cars, no planes, no electicity and certainly no technology.(i have my gma's crank phone and it still has a dynamo in it for dc current)

the neighbors across the street: he is 69, she 64 and i 60. i have introduced the idea that the three of us can still accomplish what younger folks can if we all heave hoe and pitch in what we can. the 3 of us have done some amazing things and we are building a healthy sense of doing our own stuff and only asking for the threesome when necessary.

i have stopped using many products that folks in  this thread say they will miss. i am learning what withdrawl and acceptance mean for me and moving on

i worked 6 hours today trimming trees and hauling branhes in 85 degree humid heat, mostly sunny. then i went for a 3 mile walk...yes the heat was awful and yes i felt-- not swell....but i am developing a resilency now....(i recently got an a-ok physical first) i know exactly where my physical limits are because i have pushed to find them, not because i wimped out at the first sign of discomfort.

i see things collapsing now and  for quite some time, and i am adjusting now....i am not waiting til the moment when everything is gone. i am older and can't switch gears  so quick. it took me 2 months to be able to walk comfortably 3 miles aday 5x a week.  and i was an athlete in my younger days.

if you haven't started to live simply now...count on it taking some time when the shtf and you finally decide to move off the couch or computer and into the "new" wayof life..

i suggest less blogging and more livng and i think then you will start to see answers on how to live in the coming days because more and more of you will actually have some experience to talk about not theoryor blat.

when the titanic went down and in a lifeboat, molly brown, because she knew the simple hard life first hand , told the ladies to row to live, to stay warm...think about it. are you a molly brown who knows, or are you a priss who wants to have what you have,,,,even as the ship sinks. molly had a resilence that i have had to learn because i started off as a priss. i appreciate her perspective now.

i am not saying i hold the corner on how to do this, but i am saying i am learning how to do this now, before i have to..and doing this-- actually --starting to live in a way that makes sense, it's teaching me so much and making me ask fewer questions on what do i do when it happens.

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Trunk Monkey

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
Gotta say

I'm impressed, really.  I like what your saying - and how your saying it too.  I wish I could find a way - the way, your way ... of doing the same.  Keep it up! 

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Chocolate

Remember Spain had chocolate before the discovery of oil, human beings can be amazing creatures when it comes to seeking out lifes little pleasures.   To bad we have not figured out a balance and sustainalbe life on an onging basis.

ferralhen's picture
ferralhen
anyone in this group have a

anyone in this group have a seaworthy sailboat that makes regular trips to spain?

hard work actually is one of life's greatest pleasures.not the only one, i agree. chocolate is nice. in moderation and respected as a one in a while treat, not a way of overindulgence or habit.

life without oil means a whole new time management table, and both boomer and xer's will have to once again develope the skill of being patient and planning, and waiting. those who don't know how to plan ahead will have to go without

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Wendy S. Delmater wrote: You
Wendy S. Delmater wrote:

You can lean how to make aspirin form willow bark, for one thing.

There is not a do it yourself solution for replacing modern health care.  Asprin are wonderful for getting rid of a headache.

I don't currently require modern pain killers daily or even weekly, but when my back goes out, asprin and ibuprophin don't dent the pain.

Frankly, I'm hoping for something short of complete collapse and anarchy.  

Les

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Oliveoilguy wrote: We have
Oliveoilguy wrote:

We have become spoiled by the great omega 3's in wild fish. We don't eat any red meat, but have tons of deer on our place, so will have to change to wild red meat for protein. 

There are 7 billion people on the planet and about 30 million deer.  How long do you think that's going to work?

Our oceans having very few fish left should be a good indicator that there are far too many of us to feed by hunting and gathering.

I believe we are well into population overshoot at 7 billion people.  I believe we are in a grace period while we finish consuming the Earth's stored up bounty.  Once that resource inventory is at zero and we have to subsist on what we can produc each year, either the population will have to decline or we will have to drastically reduce our lifestyles to get by while we manage our population down.

The second option assumes that we suddenly begin to make rational, intelligent choices.  Do you see that happening?  Unfortunately, I don't.

Les

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Arthur Robey wrote: It is
Arthur Robey wrote:

It is going to become awfully quiet. The wind will blow lonely through the pines.

I'm buying a solar panel to charge my music player with.  I don't intend to give up music.  In fact it will sound better with the constant traffic noise gone.

Poet's picture
Poet
Not Worried About Chocolate, Coffee, Tea, Or Sugar

Travel by sea will still be an option. In smaller vessels, with bunker fuel extracted from lonely oil pumps, or maybe even steam engines running on coal - augmented or entirely replaced by sails.

So, yes, don't worry too much about being able to get chocolate or coffee or tea or cane sugar... Probably easier along the Atlantic seaboard.

Just save up some trade goods.

Poet

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Trunk monkey?

How about Achmed the Dead Terrorist?

Carl's picture
Carl
Trunk Monkey

treebeard,

Thanks for the Trunk Monkey. Waaay off topic, but I found it hilarious.

Carl

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
freedom

Not just the "Braveheart"sort but the little every day freedoms. I, for instance, expect to be indentured by TBTB to my farm. Now i'm able to farm in relative freedom,however, ibelieve that an org. of the gov. will someday require me to produce for them their needs maybe to quell the starving masses.

robie, passionate about things husbanded(is that a word?)

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
LesPhelps wrote: Arthur Robey
LesPhelps wrote:
Arthur Robey wrote:

I'm buying a solar panel to charge my music player with.  I don't intend to give up music.  In fact it will sound better with the constant traffic noise gone.

Why not buy a guitar, some strings and get some lessons?
That's my hedge. Plus, a great non-electric recreation that has some morale boosting benefits.

Not that I disagree with charging a media device, I don't, and have done the same, but it's also nice to know how to "roll your own" in any given situation.

Cheers,

Aaron

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Music?

it would be an easy apologia... music was...well...i dunno...better before so many "life easing" technologies. we all play and sing in our family and have accumulated acoustics for our often O/W electric instruments. my hd28p is at martin for a restoration, i hope it gets back b/4 the...   

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Great comments everyone

Lots of great comments here.  Got me thinking about a couple of things.

1) Need more salt.  Looks to me that the closest salt mine is Redmond, Utah.  Not to confident that the ocean on the pacific coast will be clean enough and usable as we descend.  We are not doing a good job of keeping things pure with our abundance of energy now - I hate to think what the future holds.

2) It is a good idea to really start differentiating between necessities and luxuries.  Love my coffee and chocolate.  Have quit them several times (those darn "I'm only eating locally" kicks). I think with a mindset that lots of things we consume are luxuries (easy energy affords us those luxuries (foods, consumer goods, even services)) and that those luxuries will become more expensive or unattainable, it will be easier to prioritize the needs from the wants and live more simply. 

3) Need to plant more and take stock of my surrounding resources.  Going to harvest the elderberries this weekend.  If time permits get some more medicinal plants started.  Get 3 more lambs ear plants in the ground (My toilet paper alternative for my composting toilet project). 

Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion so far and I look forward to reading additional thoughts and comments.  Keep them coming! 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
I will miss convenience.

I think that covers all else, for me.

I love that I can take convenience for granted right now.  (And I am armed with the perspective that it will probably decrease significantly).  I like sucking down juice, for example.  (Open the bottle and glug!)  I love grape juice, cranberry juice, etc.  If we had to make our own, it would be much too precious to merely suck down.  It's a "treat" on our current budget, but the ease of access -- to juice and many, many, many other delicious and useful things -- is mind-boggling.

As someone else mentioned, I will also miss the "easy sourcing" of Internet shopping.  Need a part; find it online and have it shipped and in your hand within days.  That is truly a miracle that seems impossible to retain forever.  Want something to make your life more comfortable?  If you have the money, just look it up and press a few buttons, and voila.  When that option no longer exists, I think it will be a shock to many people who have only ever known life to have that convenience.  (My kids, for example, had no concept of "catalog ordering" when it recently came up in conversation.  Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery?  They were incredulous.)

Of course, there are many other permutations of convenience -- transportation, food gathering and preparation and preservation, clean water, bathing, obtaining or making clothing, all sorts of things that may or may not be impacted.

The only other thing that I can think of to add in addition to "convenience" would be access to advanced medical care in a timely enough manner to make a difference.  Also medical care for comfort not survival -- elective knee replacements, for example -- might not make the cut, no pun intended.

ferralhen's picture
ferralhen
round two

again i want to say it's not what we will miss, but what do we have and how to appreciate that. i will share that.

and yes celebrations....a break from tedious hard "geterdone" days are part of who we are--.don't get dressed up. --don't bring brag books or thoughts...just come and be.sing a song or pass a dish..it's what we do- what we like.

when i announce i am firing up the brick oven for pizza, some bring guitars and drums, some bring wine, some bring friends, some bring fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano, peppers, salad,  etc some just come and are lifted from the depths. and some bring their laughter to share, no one analyzes they just are there.

what we all want most is to belong and be part of what is happening, and if the food is good, the music can vary,and the firepitburning  lifts the spirits as well as the smiles  --then a bad day can turn for a moment into an ok night.  we fear the nights so we celebrate dinner time.

in 2005 i spent a month camping in the rockies to find out a few things. one thing came one night....

one night in bear country, @7pm(dark at 8) there were only 3 campsites, including mine and we were approx 400 ft away from each other.. we all had fires going. about 8:15 one of the fires died out.  my heart sank...i needed to know others who were  making it were ok, were there. the dark can be fierce. suddenly their fire returned. i can not  communicate the joy i felt. but it did tell me that fires would go out soon for the night andi must prepare to close out mine too.a simple fire is such an awesome thing

go learn these things now while you can.so you don't have to miss them

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Holy Molly Arthur where do you get this.....

LOL wet my pants.

Thx for the laughs.

Here's for the ones that will miss ......can't say the punch line.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy4ffu_emma-pub-papier-toilette-mdr_fun

NN

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Shh, NN

There is a lot than can be said about the modern Asian water closet that probably shouldn't be NN. Butt there is no waste of paper.

Here is some chamber music. I will limit myself to but one.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Arthur Robey wrote:There is
Arthur Robey wrote:

There is a lot than can be said about the modern Asian water closet that probably shouldn't be NN. Butt there is no waste of paper.

Here is some chamber music. I will limit myself to but one.

Arthur,

I saw Mr. Hurst playing live in the Portland Airport. Extremely talented gentleman.
It was a surreal experience, as I expect airports to be wholly unpleasant. It was like catching fresh air, hearing the sound of the cello. I just stood there, bags in hand, watching in curiosity. The combination of surprise and the beauty of the music was a pretty great experience.

The culture of our modern world, that we forget through the noise of all this chaos is what I'll miss most. 
Good literature. Freely exchanged knowledge. Opportunity. Music. Chamber Orchestras. Freedom of travel and transit. Those are the things I hope we can preserve.

Cheers,

Aaron

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Where's the funeral?

Thoughts on being off topic....

Sometimes the threads on PP can get a little dark to say the least.  Sometimes it feels a little like walking into a funeral home and you stop ask someone "who has has died?" and the response is, "no one yet, but someone is bound to any minute!".  This particular thread had that feeling because of the nostalgia for things yet to be lost.  Don't get me wrong, I love the topic and the comments, that's the problem (perhaps it is a gift), almost everyone here thinks like me and I generally don't need the encouragement in that direction

The thought of Trunk Monkey was actually prompted by some elses comment that they would miss the internet.  Without it, I doubt those video's would have ever been produced, let alone seen by me.  The dower mood of the thread and the thought of missing humorous videos on the internet seemed to be the perfect match. No explanation necessary. Well maybe not...........

Here, in the company of freinds, it is easier to reflect more deeply and freely about where we are at.  There is not the compelling need to convince others of the dire need to act responsibly, least we plummet more deeply and swiftly into the darkness than we might otherwise do, everyone here gets it.  Without that pressure the mind opens up, and this thread made me think about where we are all going and why.

There are many people on this planet who are already missing what we fear to miss in the future.  They are livig the future that we fear, now.  I think about a ten year old kid lying in a hospital bed in Bagdad, half his body missing, family dead, no chocolate or coffee, few antibiotics, maybe power a few days a week.   Is that the future that we all fear?

I have never known hunger, except maybe from a few badly planned camping trips and self imposed spiritual practices.  I have never known real terror or periods of extended abuse or suffering. I have already lived longer than a lot of people in times past expected to live.  What do I have left to fear?  When my life nears its end, what is it that I will really miss?

I hope I don't let fear rule my life, that I am able to live with an open heart full of love despite what the world may throw at me.  That what ever comes my way, that I am able to see the beauty in all things, even the coming period of darkness.  I hope I don't get lost in little things and a small mind, but can see the love that is in all things and is the foundation of this world.

nigel's picture
nigel
hmmm

Good thread,

I'll miss fuel and oil for my chainsaws, maybe spare chains as well.

I'll really miss buying spare tractor parts off ebay.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Friedrich Nietzche.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Friedrich Nietzsche

yogiismyhero's picture
yogiismyhero
Hmmmm, what will I miss?

OK, I have been reading so much here this weekend and, have a sense of what people think. Heck, as best I can tell these conversations happen every day at the homes of millions of people and are not exclusive to this enlightened board.

What will I miss? Well, I had to first ask what I have of value and won't miss at all, that will be a constant no matter what happens. I have a beautiful and life long friend in my wife. I have a wonderful family. A working family, and one with multi skill sets. The extended family that surrounds me/us are first rate. I live in a community where we pretty much know everyone. I/we have established very nice relationships that are not intrusive but solid and dependable. Salty folks who work for their keep and share with equal vigor to those who reciprocate. It's a farming community dating back to the Civil War (even before that but my history lacks precision as far as dates go) and structure is all they know. Preserving and planning are their first thoughts when they wake up. Seasonal things, plow the fields, plant the seeds, get the fields off, can, jar, and prepare for the long winter. If you live in this type of a community you understand what I am saying. Go to any breakfast club in town and, the farmers are there, talking work, planning, prices, coordinating with other farmers where someones new harvestor can be best used in the farming community and where the best planter can be used within the farming community. See, they all work together, and what one has they all have. It's just farmers being farmers. Of course there is the weather. OH MY!, do they ever talk the weather. All are expert meteorologists!.

Now, I ask myself what will I miss and, honestly, I have to answer not a darn thing. I actually think that I will gain so much more from a world that will now have to revert backwards to a time where machines weren't so dominant and, that skill set I would love to learn so I look forward then. I do not plan for negative outcomes, I am sorry, I plan for the possibilities of all outcomes and then move or adapt with each situation as I view them in real time. So preparations are always a key element to every day of my life. I must be prepared so that I can react quickly to a changing environment and not worry about the necessities of life. 

I have known hunger, fear, financial problems, and have seen great injuries and sadness. If not for my wife and family my focus may have waned and I may have given in but it's funny how being responsible for others who rely on you makes you Man up and continue to do the right things, to work hard and, place your good efforts on the dinner table at the end of each day. Do this and good things generally happen or at least your spirit is calm as you have given your best effort.

Poet's picture
Poet
Don't Forget...

Don't forget...

For the world's bottom one billion people, they've yet to see electricity. Yet to use a telephone or cell phone. A car is something they see, a bus is something they might have ridden a few times.

Western medicine is virtually unheard of, doctors are for the rich. Childhood malnutrition and death is common. A dentist is a neighbor with palm wine and a pair of pliers.

For them, nothing will change.

Poet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments