Dogs: A false sense of security?

thc0655
By thc0655 on Wed, Jun 19, 2013 - 1:25am

We've talked before on PP about the pros and cons of dogs in the home as crime deterrents and defenders of the home and your family.  It is definitely true that some criminals will not target a home that has dogs, or dogs that are frightening to that particular criminal.  It's very subjective: some criminals are affected by dogs and others aren't. The primary value of dogs, then, is in their limited deterrent effect on some criminals.  A criminal who is not afraid of dogs or has a plan to deal with them (kill, poison, intimidate, ignore, feed) will not be deterred from committing a crime in your home.  (I handled a burglary last year in which the criminals knew the house had a pit bull and they brought their own pit bull to the burglary to fight the home owner's dog while they looted the place!)  Some criminals who stumble into your home without realizing you have a dog (or dogs), will probably still not be stopped or inconvenienced by your dogs.  Watch this report from an Oklahoma TV station.

NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

The reporter's comments at the end are spot on: Dogs often give their owners a false sense of security.  People should plan to defend themselves, and if their dogs help out that's an added bonus.

Of course, there's a big difference between family pets, and dogs who have been carefully selected and professionally trained as guard dogs.  Those kind of dogs are much more likely to reliably contribute to home defense and safety.  On the other hand, those dogs are also much more likely than family pet dogs to attack an innocent neighborhood pet, child or adult and thereby expose it's owners to a lot of grief and legal liability.

Tom

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Personal Safety & Home Defense Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community helps one another effectively address the issues of personal safety in and around the home. . Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

5 Comments

yogiismyhero's picture
yogiismyhero
I loved that you used a Rotty picture to tell this story.

He's a little fella compared to my B-ASS who goes 150 and will do his charge. I got his back too.

Yes, dogs can give a false sense of security and Rottweiler's for instance are dogs for the seasoned pro who trains and takes care that this dog is well handled as just his size can hurt you while playing. Here's the deal, have a safe room (should be your bedroom I hope), let your dog be charged with alarming you and be prepared to move the instant it does so the dog understands you are relying on him to be this kind of dog for you. I don't care if its a Yorky.

Dogs are great pets but can absolutely alarm you to noises you would never hear, just praise them and react when they do as you wish, and the dog will be a tremendous help. Back that up with a shot gun and Walla, squeeze the first one off for free if you want because anyone hearing that will get out of your home. Guaranteed!!! If not then that's an easy and unfortunate call.

I have basically a room where you just can't get into, and bullets will not penetrate the wall from the opposite room so I have the advantage, plus, I have two other options within the room to get to different places in my home, and with little effort you could too. For instance: It is easy to get to the basement, perhaps the garage or to another room, it just depends on your home. Each place can be prepared to function as a safe room too. You just need to give yourself time. I do not want to lose my best friend in B-ASS either so he stays with me. Incidentally, B-ASS is trained to not bark if I don't want him too. Why? I don't want the intruders to know I have left my room should I have a number of intruders so I will need to bide some time. He must be as quiet as possible should I have missed something. Besides, alarms will be blazing and the police less than one minute away should benefit us. With all of this going on I doubt seriously intruders will find my home a pleasant experience.

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Pit bulls taken in home invasion!

This one is even better: two men commit a home invasion and among other things they steal the resident's TWO PIT BULLS. So much for that home defense plan!!

http://m.nbcphiladelphia.com/nbcphilly/db_279705/contentdetail.htm?conte...

thc0655's picture
thc0655
And the hits just keep on comin'

Home invaders shoot dog kept for protection (probably by drug dealer).

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9205600

thc0655's picture
thc0655
False sense of security

These people live in a low crime town and left their doors unlocked partly because they have a dog. False sense of security.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/23291371/heartless-burglars

misskitty's picture
misskitty
dogs-false sense of security

I have had bad people as friends and I noticed a change in my dogs.  My dogs weren't as happy and they acted different around a couple people I suspected had been coming into my house when I was gone.          I know my dogs have been given doggie downers before because all three were so wiped out a couple times and hadn't done anything out of the ordinary.  One guy always has to have a laser pointer with him.  These guys also always have small magnetics with them.  My alarm system shows a yellow light and no dial tone on my home phone which is odd.  Alarm systems and dogs combine use to make me feel safe.  But not in todays world. Today it's not the stranger to fear but those who pose as friends.  I hate that fact. And wish it weren't so.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments