Following your technique Adam

Gratidude
By Gratidude on Tue, Jun 18, 2013 - 11:47pm

I’d like to give you a big “THANK YOU” Adam,

I got your book from Amazon and it's precisely what I needed to read at precisely the right time. Thanks very much for writing it. I expect this will be one of the top books of the decade for me.

I have several friends that recommend that best way to find my ideal career is simply "follow your bliss" and the universe will guide me toward my best fit. While I appreciate that point of view, I abhor trial-and-error as a way to accomplish anything worthwhile. Like you, I think the quickest way from point A to point B is to gather data and take a procedural approach.

Identifying my aptitudes is especially a challenge for me because my priorities have been so messed up for so long I don't know what I'm good at anymore. For the past several years when I shared with others that I didn't like doing a particular chore, I often heard "but you’re soooo good at it."

So I'm making no assumptions and starting from the beginning of your process.  I will start my testing at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation tomorrow morning. I'm open to learning nothing about myself and/or learning surprising things about myself. I’ll post the final results here in a week. 

6 Comments

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Excited to hear the results

Gratidude -

You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear the book's approach appears a good fit with your transition needs & timing.

The Stage One work of identifying aptitudes, values and passions is the hardest of the entire process, but also by far the most valuable, leverageable and gratifying. If it helps to hear, I, too, had a real concern that I had trained myself to be better-than-most at a number of skills that I had no real love for. I was afraid I'd index highly for them in the testing and find myself being pushed into areas that weren't aligned with who I was innately. Fortunately, the variety of exercises and tests mentioned in the book helped surface the truly authentic ones (with the Johnson O'Connor testing being particularly helpful).

I'll be very curious to hear if your JOC experience produces useful insights for you. Please keep us informed.

cheers,

A

Gratidude's picture
Gratidude
Aptitude Test thoughts

For those deciding on which tests to take, I've taken several and I've determined that I only really needed two; The Predictive Index personality test and the Johnson O'Conner aptitude test. They are complimentary and their findings do not overlap. I learned a great deal about myself from each test. Together they form a complete picture of fields where I would be to able excel and the work style I most enjoy. E.G. I learned I could be a superb Tom Edison (center of a well-organized team) or a crappy Nick Telsa (highly-focused lone inventor). They are both inventors, but obviously quite different in their approach.  

1)      The Predictive Index test (http://predictiveresults.com/) focuses on personality traits and on how I want to be managed and how I manage others. E.G. "Rodger is an intense, driving, results-oriented self-starter...". It even covers some esoteric subjects like how I prefer my compensation to be arranged. Due to its simplicity, people taking it a second time unconsciously “game” it. They say you only get one try at this test so be serious about it the first time. It’s generally agreed that these traits don’t change as people go through life.

2)      The Johnson O’Conner test focuses on measuring aptitudes and then I can use my scores to research jobs held by other people that scored high in the same aptitudes. E.G. “Rodger scored 99%tile in Structural Visualization, Analytical Reasoning, and Idea Generation”. The thing I found most interesting about this test is that I can see where I stand in relation to others who have the same aptitudes, so it’s easy to discern tasks that I can perform with relative ease even as a new comer to a field. I also learned aptitudes that I had no idea I possessed which broadened my career choices significantly. These traits can change somewhat for a person through training and experience.

These two test together blew away anything I learned from Myers Briggs or What Color or any other test I’ve taken. As a fairly introspective person, I felt I knew myself well enough and didn’t expect the test results to influence my decision for my next career move. But these results have indeed influenced my plans quite significantly and it was rewarding to take the time and effort to learn about myself. 

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Glad to hear these tests were so useful

Gratidude -

So glad to hear you found both these tests so valuable.

I'm much less familiar with the Predictive Index than I am with JOC, but it seems similarly-based on measurable data. I'm going to investigate it further for consideration for the next edition of my career guide.

Kudos to you for not only taking these tests, but for expanding your transition consideration set based on the unexpected insights you received.

As you have further progress to share in your transition, I hope you'll keep us informed! 

Gratidude's picture
Gratidude
Step 6!

I'm on Step 6 of Adam's book now and here's what I've accomplished the last two months:

1. Through testing, writing, and interviewing friends I've defined what I want in a job, what I value in life, what I'm naturally good at doing. I took this exercise all the way and outlined how I want my life to look in 5, 10, 20 years and at my death.  This output of this work alone will serve me for the rest of my life. I now know where I want to live (in general terms) and how I want to spend my time. 
  2. By inventorying my previous jobs, I've defined what my priorities are in my work and where I'm willing to make trade-offs. I learned that if I was looking for work right now I would not choose to do what I'm doing today - or anything else I've ever done for money.
  3. I have much more clarity over what my current job does not provide me. I've been able to negotiate and plan with my company to meet my well-defined needs. It's very empowering to know exactly what I want and having nothing to lose by asking for it (because I'm quitting anyway!).
  4. From the testing and introspection I've learned some eye-opening facts about myself that I had not acknowledged before. [1] For the past decade I've had a knowledge-worker desk job, but I prefer to work outside, in the elements and dirt, with my hands and tools [2] against all my assumptions I learned I really like working with people and need to be part of a team [3] The testing revealed precisely how good I am at certain activities which allows me to feel more comfortable starting a new career in a competitive industry. Having a strong aptitude for something is like a shortcut to having 8 years experience.  

Some tips I've discovered:

1. Set a schedule to work on these exercises and keep a dedicated notebook and binder. I arranged with my company to take every Wednesday off and work on Saturday. This has allowed me to focus one full day per week and is the major reason for my progress. If you are planning to quit anyway, you have nothing to lose by attempting to arrange your schedule the way you want it. 
  2. In my case I found many of my friends did not like that I was intending to quit and move out of the area. A few have turned just plain negative about it all. I have minimized my exposure to these folks. There are also a few friends who are very supportive so I arranged regular dinners them because [1] I'll miss them when I move and [2] it's great discussing this process with supportive friends. 
  3. To discover your values, list the things that make you angry (note: I sometimes violate my own values so I get angry at myself)
  4. I've learned that quite possibly the worst thing that can happen to someone is a moderate success in something they dislike doing. I really had to ignore people who (likely had my best-interest in mind but still unhelpful) told me that I was a fool to consider quitting and that I was really good at my job and that the job market is awful, and that other's would kill for my job, etc. 
  5. I found it difficult to really stay determined. So I arranged with my company a deadline whereby six months from now I'll work remotely and reduce my time to one-day-per-week (I'd reduce it to zero if I could but there are circumstances that prevent me from doing so). This has been very motivating. No turning back now!
gemel's picture
gemel
Hi, Can you tell us what your

Hi,

Can you tell us what your new job is ? How are you coping with the transition from a high income to a lower income (my assumption)

Thanks

G

Gratidude's picture
Gratidude
income transition

Hi Gemel,

Your insighful question compelled me to write a long answer so I created a new discussion in this group: http://www.peakprosperity.com/discussion/82815/coping-income-transition-your-authentic-career

Regarding your question about the specifics of my next job. I haven’t determined a specific new job yet and my research is ongoing. I’d rather not provide any more details than that for now. But if a terrific job opportunity suddenly presents itself I know I can handle most any financial challenge with aplomb. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments