Assume criminals are watching and plotting

thc0655
By thc0655 on Sat, Jun 8, 2013 - 5:06pm

Two South Jersey burglars find homes to burglarize by studying the obituaries in the newspaper and then hitting the deceased's home while the funeral is going on.  This kind of thing is common all over the country.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9132130

The key is to be constantly aware that there are criminals out there looking for victims and accepting that you may be targeted.  Take appropriate steps to protect yourself and your property.

In this case, the easiest countermeasure is to hire a housesitter for the hours that you will be away from home for the funeral, wedding, bar mitzvah, etc.  Any event you will be attending that a stranger could discover should be considered for hiring a housesitter.  If you can get a friend or family member to house sit for free, all the better.

Be careful though.  You should explain to your housesitter WHY you want them at the house and the measures you want them to take to make it VERY obvious that someone is home.  You should also discuss with your housesitter what they should do if someone knocks on the door, calls the home phone, or begins the physical act of breaking in.  In light of all of this, it wouldn't necessarily be right or wise to hire the 14 year old girl who babysits your 7 year old child if you and she don't think she should be exposed to the potential danger and she isn't fully prepared to respond appropriately and safely.

Tom

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Personal Safety & Home Defense Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community helps one another effectively address the issues of personal safety in and around the home. . Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

7 Comments

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Good points

Thabks Tom!

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
Its amazing

how the criminal element is always 'on'.  Where I work, and this is where unemployment is just over 2 percent, where you'd think we'd be immune to theft (for now..) of copper, materials, etc.  Three business neighbors have been hit for $145k, 7k, and ?k.  Another has had generators, tools, etc taken during business hours - like over a lunch break period...my thoughts are drugs.  Addicts are getting squeezed and gotta feed the addiction.  My guess is that drug addicts (including prescription druggies) will represent the first, visible wave of unrest - they'll be so desperate to as not care who sees....cameras, bystanders, authorities, etc.  Otherwise, between preying on peoples trust and acting on opportunities, who knows?  Just my guess I guess.

Organic Raw Veggies's picture
Organic Raw Veggies
Inside job

House keepers, cleaners, painters, gardeners, friends, coworkers, employees and their friends. I don't share plans with anyone until after. And I always have a house sitter. Losing material items isn't the worse thing. Every crime hurts a criminal more than the victim, they just don't always know it right away. It will catch up someday. Reforming is not easy either. 

We need a pack of crooks to go after billionaires only. Get that Maserati. With police assistance even. The mc mansion robbers. There is a sea of empty mc mansions near me. Don't the wealthy take long vacations. Maybe we need to educate crooks. Bigger houses mean more sh$).

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
It does sense to pick a house sitter who can handle a break in

Definitely good points here. Sadly the house sitters can get taken down in the robbery. I have heard of one instance where something like this occurred with tragic consequences for the people who sat out the funeral and surprised the violent robbers.  As mentioned funerals are published and are the ideal information source for finding empty homes. 

Whenever I take time off I have to tell at least 100 people (who employ me) in advance when I take off and when I will return. I have taken to hiding my home address and I have wonderful neighbors (the best ever) who keep an eye out for me. I am one lucky woman to have them. Good neighbors make a huge difference.

And yes ORV, the robbers here definitely keep an eye on the rich neighborhoods (the number of daylight kick in the back door robberies in the rich areas here is impressive) . I think the goal is to make it as difficult as possible for these people to gain entry.  And keep your absences private where you can. Etc....Things you all already know.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Outsourcing the problem.

Outsource the penal system to Russia or Africa. (Siberia or Central Africa?) To some private enterprise outfit.

The convicted only spends 3 months there. (We dont want him to become aculturated now, do we?)

He still has the rest of his sentence hanging over him. And then give him an area to look after. If Any crime happens on his patch, he goes back for another 3 month stint. (hand in hand with the other perp.)

That keeps the cost of policing and incarceration down and the Russians and Africans will be well pleased with the arrangement.

Edit: Wall street Banker?

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Armed House Sitters
VeganD wrote:

Sadly the house sitters can get taken down in the robbery. I have heard of one instance where something like this occurred with tragic consequences for the people who sat out the funeral and surprised the violent robbers. 

Here is a business opportunity. Security companites could offer this as a 1 day service with an armed and trained person. Most definatly NOT a place for a 14 year old neighborhood girl or boy.

WH's picture
WH
Oliveoilguy wrote: VeganD
Oliveoilguy wrote:
VeganD wrote:

Sadly the house sitters can get taken down in the robbery. I have heard of one instance where something like this occurred with tragic consequences for the people who sat out the funeral and surprised the violent robbers. 

Here is a business opportunity. Security companites could offer this as a 1 day service with an armed and trained person. Most definatly NOT a place for a 14 year old neighborhood girl or boy.

That IS a good business niche. My brother-in-law is in law enforcement and I've discussed to him starting a business in security or firearms training.

Good thoughts too about the drug addicts. The more we understand about the crinimal the better decisions we will make when the time comes.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments