Removing Unwanted Bees Gently

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Sun, Jun 2, 2013 - 10:41pm

PP.com reader Time2Help has discovered a bee hive in his attic:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/153374#comment-153374

He's asking for ideas on how to get the bees out of there without harming them.

To our veteran beekeepers: please respond with any advice below.

4 Comments

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose
Bumble bees in atic not bees

He has bumble bees in his atic, not honey bees.

I know bumble bees were very hard to introduce to New Zealand, so moving them out without harming them could be a bit tricky.....

Cheers

dps's picture
dps
removing bees

Even removing honeybees is a very tricky proposition that requires special tools.

If they are native bees (bumble) and you can let them stay, please do.  They are in deep trouble from the pesticides; same as many other insects. 

Try to find a local beekeeper for help.  Or contact me in Colorado:  303-248-6677   ... dons

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Bees in the attic

Screw it, they can have that corner of the attic for now - with the caveat that I'll check in on the nest in the winter (when dormant) to make sure they are not the "carpenter" variety.

Other than that - thanks, little guys, for the wonders you are working in our garden.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
And Bats from the Belfry
Alzheimer's disease is on the rise, but researchers like Dr. Michael Devous expect the numbers to shift into reverse. "I think we're going to cure Alzheimer's disease, and we're not far away from it," said Devous, a professor and director of the NeuroImaging Core for the Alzheimer's Disease Center at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-06-doctor-alzheimer-disease.html#jCp

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments