GMO Wheat Detection

jasonw
By jasonw on Fri, May 31, 2013 - 1:16pm

Just so everyone knows - GMO Roundup Ready Wheat has been detected in fields in Oregon. 

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2013/05/ge_wheat_detection.shtml

Other Articles:

http://deltafarmpress.com/wheat/usda-investigating-ge-wheat-oregon-farm

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ab8c40e1-811b-4cee-9669-61...

http://www.agri-pulse.com/Unapproved-GE-wheat-found-in-Oregon-field-0529...

Keep in mind the RR Wheat has never been approved to be grown and sold and the implications of field contamination are going to be big if results hold up.  Will all wheat crops need to be tested before going on the Global Market?  Does this news affect any of our PP members and farmers?

I will be keeping track of this over the coming months and will post updates as they come in. 

What are your thoughts on the new issue in our food supply?

18 Comments

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Denny Johnson's picture
Denny Johnson
Grover's picture
Grover
Let the backlash begin

I hope this begins a backlash against GMO and Monsanto. It is bad enough that US citizens can't be notified on food labels that a GMO product was included in its production. Their lobbying efforts get clauses inserted in various bills that allow them to function above legal reproach. Here is an example of lobbying gone bad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-murphy/monsanto-gmo-food_b_3337043.html

Only two months ago, Monsanto made the single largest strategic error in its 100-year history when they finally succeeded in sneaking a special corporate loophole that protected their genetically engineered crops from judicial review in a must pass spending bill.<

By passing Section 735, now known as the infamous Monsanto Protection Act, Monsanto finally exposed the truth to millions of outraged citizens of how they operate as a lawless corporation, willing to manipulate our nation’s laws to protect their flawed GMO technology and able to get away with it because our elected officials at the highest levels have become accomplices to the ultimate corruption in the writing of our nation’s laws.

Grover

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
this may be what it takes

While I feel really bad for the wheat farmers that will be impacted by this debacle, financially and emotionally, this may be what we have to go through to finally stop this madness.  I am continuously reminded of something that was said to me many years ago when I was trying to decide whether I wanted to do something, "Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should do it.  Being a mature adult is knowing when not to do something you can do."  Now I realize that the seductive drive to make money seems to short circuit this process in mature adults, it still applies.  And as mature adults it is time those of us in America say no to Monsanto, Dupont, et al and the government that shills for them.  Gut punching our economy over one of us biggest exports will be painful but certainly a teaching moment.

Lnorris's picture
Lnorris
Round up linked to Parkinson's, AD and Alzheimer's disease

There was research that came out earlier this year about round up that linked it to several neurological diseases. Great way for the Agriculture industry to feed the sick care industry.  

http://www.nationofchange.org/study-links-monsanto-s-roundup-autism-park...

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
From the (Violated) Garden Isle

Hawaii in general, and Kauai in particular, is a test bed for the largest GMO firms.  We're working hard to get them off the island.  It's a tough fight, but I think we're making headway despite their very aggressive tactics.  "My" local community radio station interviewed a couple of guys involved in the growing of this garbage- you can listen here to the May 21 Kauai Soapbox show.  I met the two guests after the show and mentioned that I couldn't believe they even came in for the interview, given that the station programmers are generally very anti-GMO.  One fellow indicated that folks at the lighest level of the companies would be monitoring the program....Wish us (all) well in our struggle.  Aloha, Steve.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Monsato a Corporate Monster

Monsato is worst than the tabaco industry in my opinion. 

If you smoke you're conscious that you are damaging yourself. You know the probable consequences.

With Monsato it's hidden, unlabeled, pervasive. It is trying to monopolize the seed, crop industry. Control the food, control the people. It wants us dependant and enslaved to their product and not to what Mother nature created and gave freely. Life.  As an individual you have to rely on governmental agencies to protect you and they're not doing a great job in the US. They're now lying in bed together.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

As a farmer if his seeds get contaminated by cross breeding , he loses on way or another. Many corn farmer examples abound. He has to pay a fine and if he attempts to fight the SOBs, he gets dragged in court and finally loses his farm. So many US farmers have lost their land because of Monsato. I can't imagine going through what these farmers went through. The struggle, the rage of losing your livelyhood to a rogue corporation and a legal system that supports it is insane!                                                                                               And now this new twist!!!! How are they going to compensate this (these)farmer with the contaminated wheat? Monsato? Who's going to buy this wheat? Monsato? How many wheat farmers are going to go under because of Monsato!!!!  Who's going to pay?   

Corporations for profit but the loses are always socialized!!!!!  What a farce. Down with Monsato before it sets something else in nature we will regret !!!!  

I'm sure almost everybody has seen this Doc on Monsato but here it is again. 

Sonya

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Roundup is an invasive specie

After thinking about the article and the research it appears that the pernicious effect of glyphosphate is it's residual presence in so many foods consumed in our diet.  Like an imported weed species it has invaded our food.  Even most grass fed beef ends up at the feed lot on corn for finishing.  Like asbestos, GMO crops and their damaging genes are going to be proven harmful and will eventually have to be 'abated' from our seed stocks at great cost.  I hope sooner than later.

Thrivalista's picture
Thrivalista
Maybe that's what they want
Nervous Nelly wrote:

... So many US farmers have lost their land because of Monsato...

I sometimes wonder if that isn't part of their intent - if farmers lose their land, agri-business can snap it up and plant Monsanto products, which benefits both evildoers. It's the agricultural parallel of what's going on with foreclosed homes being bought for a song by real estate investors who turn around and rent them out to displaced homeowners.

America: From Fascism to Fuedalism. (Sorry, not the usual upbeat mood seen here, but there it is.)

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Monsanto Primary Agenda: Terminator Seeds

Thrivslista, I wouldn't put it past them to do such a thing. Good catch. 

What mankind should be afraid of is their intent on pushing genetically modified  terminator seeds. There's enough proof to show that these GMO are affecting and cross pollening their genetic codes to other plants of the same species ex: corn.  It has also been proven that the weeds have geneticaly adapted to Roundup  and are now resistant to it. More and more Roundup (and other herbicides) is required to do the same job, poisoning our water supply even further.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2011/07/monsanto-superweeds-roundup

The Super Weeds are a farmers nightmare! An infestation!  A monster unleashed in the environment that can no longer be controlled.  

My question now is what about the Terminator Seeds? Should mankind let Monsanto unleash such  dangerous seeds? What happens if they cross pollenate with other seeds and renders them sterile? What happens to our food supply and our ability to grow our own food is wiped out? Control the food ,control the people.  It is absolute abomination. 

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/TerminSeeds_Monsanto2.html

The section " Terminating Healthy Ecosystems ? " is an eye opener.

Pray that someone out has enough sense to stop this.

NN

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Monsanto and "The Wind-Up Girl"

Nelly,

HughK mentioned a GREAT sci-fi book here on pp a few months ago, "The Wind-Up Girl."  It is set in a not-so-distant future in Thailand.  The global temperature and sea levels have risen and Bangkok is surrounded by a seawall with continuously running pumps to keep the ocean from flooding the city.  The "calorie companies" (like Monsanto) are competing for market share throughout the world.  They compete by releasing viruses that kill off the proprietary crops of their competitors.  Then they introduce their own plants with the specific genes needed to withstand the viruses that they themselves had released.  Millions starve as the calorie companies fight for market share.  Hey.  It is just business.

Since corporations are amoral organizational structures, without empathy or any sense of social responsibility, I most certainly do not want to have one of these in control of the food supply!

Steady Footsteps's picture
Steady Footsteps
I second that, Sand Puppy!

Windup Girl is definitely one of the most brilliantly conceived and scariest books that I have ever read!  The author, Paolo Bacigalupi, pulls together all the bad trends that we see barrelling down upon us (climate change, sea level rise, economic collapse, peak/post oil, collapse of government services--in short everything Peak Prosperity projects) and then throws in the persistence of the "calorie companies" and the genetic manipulation and concentration of seed supply which they are already engaged in.  I, for one, genuinely enjoy reading about the future as portrayed by James Howard Kunstler in World Made by Hand and The Witch of Hebron, but Windup Girl completely threw me for a loop!  The hijacking and concentration of the genetics of the world's seed stock is not dependent upon continued cheap fuel and is not reversible.  Other Bacigalupi-created dystopian future scenarios can be found in Pump Six (a collection of short stories) as well as Ship Breaker and Drowned Cities, two novels written at the young adult level.  They are all excellent and well worth reading!

KathyP's picture
KathyP
How does poisoning the world's food supply benefit elites?

Something I've been pondering.  Do those in charge of these corporations realize that THEIR food supply is being poisoned as well?  Perhaps they have another source of food? (Can you grow stuff on the moon?)  Is short term thinking in pursuit of profits so powerful that the implications for all of humanity can be ignored?  Or, maybe those doing "God's work" think they will be spared from disease and extinction.  This is truly horrifyingly amazing!

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
It is all about mind set

A large number of multi-national corps are really just doing business, and anything is okay in making sure their market share is the best.  Competition gone wild.  Monsanto (and their ilk) does appear to want to rule the world by ruling the food system.  Since I suspect they've convinced themselves of the stories they are telling themselves, at least at some level of the corporation, they don't see a problem with what they are doing.  Some humans just do not think past the moment, themselves or what they want.  Long-term thinking is at a premium in much of human society.  The human body can take a lot of abuse before it starts to break down.  By that time connecting the cause and effect is nearly impossible.  And the "we need to feed the world" speaks to some people who do not wish to think about this too much.

Once this stuff is on a roll, and in western society it has been for several centuries and on steriods for about 60 years, stopping it requires a lot of push in the opposite direction.  And in most of the world those of us that like to feel we aren't a part of this problem make our decisions to consume that helps to keep the momentum going in the current direction.  These folks really don't care whether their GMO crops are consumed as whole foods, in processed food or in dehydrated survival foods.  They don't care whether their cotton goes into a weavers loom, a third world sweat shop for WalMart or a high end clothing store.

Monsanto is without a doubt one of the most egregious example of corporation culture gone wild.  And their partners in crime is our government.  But until all of us are willing to make individual decisions that can't support them in any way I doubt we will stop them.  And may not be able to even then.  They are like consumption/TB in the human body.  To stop consumption it takes 9 months of a cocktail of antibiotics taken every day to rid the body.

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
Roundup linked to inflammatory diseases

One reason Monsanto has cfreated GMO seed is to sell lots of Roundup.  Here is a link to an article and video on recent research linking glyphosate in Round-up to many inflammatory diseases in humans.

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/06/06/monsantos-roundup-herbicide-featuring-the-darth-vader-chemical/

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Thanks ptwisewoman

That  article or video was well worth my time!

Very interesting links between increased use of GMO's ,Roundup and the increase in auto immune diseases in the USA .  I now understand why Monsanto doesn't want the GMO labeling. If this information leaks out to the regular media no one will want to eat the crap they produce. 

Keep gardening folks!

NN

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Found this Doc "The Genetic Roulette"

http://vimeo.com/65527710

i was on the fence on GMO because of lack of evidence but this Doc

by Jeffery Smith confirmed all the side effects going on with GMO's.

NN

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Monsanto Video Revolt July 24th

http://monsantovideorevolt.com/

Get involved and send a video to youtube to revolt against Monsanto on the 24th. 

Let's make this viral!!!!

NN

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments