Questions for Chris & Adam

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Wed, May 29, 2013 - 9:38am

It's been a while since our last podcast fielding open questions from our readership, and we're game for the next installment.

Have something you want to ask Chris (or me)? Pose it in the Comments below.

We'll compile these questions and get through as many as we can in this weekend's podcast.

cheers,

A

[Update: these questions were addressed in two podcasts. Click here for Part 1. And click here for Part 2.]

74 Comments

kenkelley89's picture
kenkelley89
Nomads

A home is provided for us because of our jobs.   So what priorities should we look at since we will never know for sure if we will have an acre or a city lot?  And we move every 5-8 years on average.  It has been challenging to come up with a plan for resiliency when nothing can be permanent. Thx. 

Brak's picture
Brak
home innovations

What interesting or even novel things are you doing lately to increase the resilience and productivity of your homestead? For example, I know from a personal conversation that you were experimenting with biochar a couple years ago. Has that gone anywhere for you? I'd like to hear more about what your active mind and research skills have been turning up in terms of growing and storing food, building community, and things like that. Adam, too! Thanks in advance.

Poet's picture
Poet
If You Want Questions, I Got Some Tough Ones...

1. The poor. If someone in America were very poor and with few resources. Let's say they lost their job and have used up their savings to survive and now depend on the government. Then they found your Crash Course. Are there any additional, specific advice or suggestion or strategy would you give regarding survival for those who are poor?

2. The elderly. Many Americans have no retirement savings. They are (or will become) wholly dependent on the government for Social Security payments, Medicare for health care, etc. Suppose someone is 70 years old and just watched or read the Crash Course. What kind of strategies would you suggest for the elderly (even those who may be childless and alone)? Do you think the system will at least last long enough for them?

3. The physically disabled or those with chronic medical issues - There are people in wheelchairs, or the elderly who are weak or sick. There are also people who are otherwise able to work, but requires regular medicine or insulin (which may be expensive), or people who needs daily care. What advice would you give them in light of the 3Es and coming crises?

4. Minorities - People not of the dominant race (White) or the dominant religion (Protestant Christian) in America. As you know, about 30% of Americans are racial minorities. Since in some states and cities in America, visible minorities make up less than 10% (sometimes less than 2%) of the population, what suggestions, strategies, and advice would you offer to minorities so they and their families can stay safe and prosper in the coming years? Would you suggest strategic relocation ot areas with a larger concentration or a more cosmopolitan make-up?

Three of the four factors above could affect anyone. The fourth can provide pride and resilience and community... and can be (and have often been) a target. It is interesting to note that most of the known speakers and bloggers in this sphere are not in these categories. Still, while I know there are no easy answers or short answers, I'd like some of your thoughts or suggestions on these topics.  Thank you.

Poet

riskmgmt's picture
riskmgmt
spousal communication

any tips on conveying the alternative lifestyle message to a spouse or loved ones in a constructive way?

Hrunner's picture
Hrunner
Scenario

Chris- you are on record as expecting a moderate to large US stock market correction between now and Sept (can't remember the exact magnitude, maybe 30-50%).  Fair enough, I appreciate your sticking your neck out.  If it makes you feel better, the chorus of analysts/ bloggers predicting the same is growing.

(example from today:  http://www.investing.com/analysis/three-signs-a-market-top-is-near-168931)

Two questions related to that:

1)  What will happen between Sept and Dec 2013 (and following if you  want)?  Can you paint a scenario picture?  I know it's hard to look past the next year, but some sub questions (to play fair, I've added some answers where I had an opinion):

Will it be a broad-based stock market correction- all sectors?  (yes, structural change in market)

Will EU, Japan, China, participate in the correction?  (I will say yes, since markets seem to be so correlated)

What will be the response/ deflection of 10 year UST?  Dollar Index?  Price of gold and silver?  Price of WTI and Brent?  (10Y= 3.5%, DXY =72, Gold- 2200, Silver- 55, WTI 75, Brent 85)  I know it's a lot, but to ask another way, will this event look like 2008?  If not, where will it be different?

What will be Fed's response?  ( I predict doubling QE, possible direct buying of equities)

What will be govt response?  (I predict nothing- stalemate between dems and reps)

How long to get back to 2013 peak level (never- currency reset first)?

Anybody going out of business?  Commercial banks (yes BOA and MS)? Hedge funds (yes)? Municipalities (don't know how exposed they are to the stock market)?   Non-profits or universities (yes) (read once that 2/3 of tuition is covered by endowment proceeds)?

2)  Given the above scenario, and not asking for investment advice, but in your personal situation, are you personally positioning to profit from the event?    If not, why not?

I know you are safeguarding with much PMs, as am I.

If yes, then what?

- shorting the bond market?, shorting the stock market?  shorting the dollar?  buying chinese yuan?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate that these are thought-provoking questions, but at least I consider these important questions.

Edit:  Didn't mean to not include Adam.  Just that Chris provided the post, but I would definitely be interested to hear if Adam agrees or has a different opinion on one of the questions.

Grover's picture
Grover
Career Choices

Chris and Adam,

Thanks for asking. I've got a neighbor boy who is graduating from high school this year. He looks up to me and asks me for advice. He hasn't settled on a career direction yet, but he does run ideas past me to get an independent view. I haven't found a solid answer for him yet and it bothers me. I'd rather suggest something positive than burden him with the problems we face.

What career areas would you suggest for young people to pursue? He's a "B" student who isn't likely to be college material. What would you advise for the "A" students or the drop-outs?

Grover

ehess's picture
ehess
:"soft Landing"

With a lot of time & energy being spent trying to predict how and when things will go south, I am curious, can you envision ANY scenario that would lead the U.S. past the numerous crises ahead of us WITHOUT some kind of crash? thanks for reading, ehess 

MGRS's picture
MGRS
Career Change - positioning yourself through your career

With all of the changes coming in the next twenty years, what careers do you see as good areas to be in? Many people are either going into student debt or utilizing the GI Bill to make a career change.

Some thoughts I've had: 

1) Health care - definitely a growth industry as population ages, but also increasingly more regulated.  Regulation will probably increase and margins will narrow as resources are stretched thin. Also, providing a service that so many people view as a "right" or entitlement means that many of our policymakers and regulators will not be trying to solve our problems using free market means, and subjecting all players to coercion in one form or another.  

2) Sciences/Tech/Engineering/Manufacturing - Also a growth industry, possibly subject to much more foreign competition as standards of living and education increase worldwide.  

3) Self-employment - the most freeing, and also the most risky in my view.  Expense of access to benefits and health insurance increase the risk.  In a system increasingly designed by and for the big boys, the little guy is always at risk of being regulated/harassed/IRS'd out of business.  

4) Education - Free market primary/secondary education is an exciting idea, but the bureaucratic hurdles seem almost impossible to overcome without massive disruption to the current system.  

5) Government - Stability, for now.  Likely to get squeezed in the future as fiscal situation deteriorates, although government will always be first in line for newly printed fiat money.  Local governments are probably most vulnerable to this squeezing, while national government will be last to feel pain.  This could encompass everything from municipal services (local police/fire) to working for a university (dependent on state funding and government student loans) to working for a federal bureaucracy or the military.

Anyways, I'd love to hear Chris and Adam's opinions on career directions, and maybe some actionable steps toward building resilience in through your career choice.  I'm currently pursuing a combination of medical and self-employment (unrelated to medical) using the GI Bill, but I would love to get some thoughtful perspective.

bbroadhead's picture
bbroadhead
holding PM overseas vs at home

I've been following the great discussions about getting out of financial institution IRA's and overseas accounts and am inclining more towards physical possession as the ponzi scheme gets deeper and the likelyhood of gov't theft and capital controls increases.  Any comments on this would be appreciated.

cowtown2011's picture
cowtown2011
Asset Allocation

Do you have a recommended asset allocation based on where we are today?

(Cash, Bonds, Equities, Precious Metals)

And reason for your split.

Given how tough things are to perdict I have trouble with your existing allocation to primarily precious metals.

Thanks

james_knight_chaucer's picture
james_knight_chaucer
UK Seminar

I'm sure all of us in Europe would love to attend the Kripalu Seminar if it was not so far away. What numbers would you need to hold a seminar in London?

KathyP's picture
KathyP
Funds kept in Credit Unions

In a recent post, Chris mentioned that he was keeping cash OUT of banks.  Have you any thoughts about the safety or advisability of keeping cash in credit unions. 

Also, if memory serves, the Cyprus "bail in" involved deposits in insolvent banks; depositors in the smaller solvent banks did not see their deposits confiscated. 

I also am interested in the same issue as bbroadhead brings up.  I am wondering if I should cash in my BullionVault holdings and purchase physical PMs to keep nearby.  I am becoming increasingly queasy about allowing any institution to hold any property I think I own.

Thanks for the opportunity to raise these questions.

mobius's picture
mobius
Specific Advice for EU residents

Of course all things are not equal, but are there any resiliency specifics that may be applicable to Europeans. 

Personally, my concerns for the mid- to long-term are:

- rising sea levels

- increasing taxation on consumption & goods & services

- preserving purchasing power

- eventual war

Thanking you for your time.

Joanne.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Stuck in the market

Some of us have spouses that retain their investments in 401k plans and IRAs and will not budge. Some of these investments are doing OK over the past couple of years (+2.5%yr) and are with "awake" advisors. Perhaps our spouses do listen to us and might pull the cash for a short period - less than 60 days before rolling it back in to avoid penalty to placate us. Is there such a scenario where that might be a sure bet? How will we know when to cry wolf?

Nate's picture
Nate
PM's

Assuming one already owns PM's and wants to add to their position, at what price levels would you add more?  Do you think a portion of a PM positon should be in PM equities?

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
I'm sure, that also some

delete - double posting

ReginaF's picture
ReginaF
I'm sure, that also some

I'm sure, that also some Members from Germany would enjoy the Seminar!

Best from Hamburg (Northern-Germany, only 1 h Flight to London -:)))

Regina

BecomeMinimalist's picture
BecomeMinimalist
Question

I have two questions (for now):

1. I am a paramedic so health and safety are always forefront in my mind. How do you see the change of Emergency Services in the future? Will the frivolous or less critical 911 calls be abandoned due to the high cost of fuel to send an ambulance?

2. As a Minimalist I am trying to live the smallest, simplest, and eco-conscious life I can. What is the minimum lot or yard size I would need to grow enough food to sustain myself? I understand there are many factors due to location but, a general guideline would help.

Thanks!!

ScottT's picture
ScottT
Gold not an investment only a store of value - discuss

An interesting perspective by David Marotta over at http://seekingalpha.com/article/1462561-the-optimum-asset-allocation-to-gold-is-always-zero?source=yahoo

The points he makes are excellent and worthy of deeper discussion and understanding.  Thanks.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
will a Roth IRA help?

My husband's retirement funds are locked into his company 401K and now they are not even allowing loans against the funds, but some of it could be converted to a Roth IRA. Should our bankrupt government decide to pool everyone's retirement funds into a big (Federally-held) one (also know as "confiscation") would putting it in a Roth make it less likely to be confiscated?

flakeysboy's picture
flakeysboy
Questions for Chris & Adam

My question is to how safe it is to store PMs in a bank deposit box?  Thanks

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Recent Price Drop In Gold and Silver

How surprised were you by the recent price drop in gold and silver?  Not that I was put off.  I took it as a buying opportunity when things went south a few weeks back. However it seemed the number of your podcasts and articles trying to grasp the magnitude of the take down showed a little bit surprise/dismay at what had happened.

Hope all is well.

Jason

arblaw88's picture
arblaw88
Questions - Gold/Silver ETFs for Retirement Accounts???

Greetings.  I posed this Q on the Gold and Silver Discussion Group/Forum but did not get any reponses.  My wife and I only have tax-deferred retirement accounts (401K type) for investment, we do not have cash to buy physical gold and silver (which we know is preferable).  We have some funds (about 40%) from these tax-deferred retirement accounts invested in ETFs, Swiss Physical Gold and Swiss Physical Silver, both of which were hit hard in the past few months by the PM crooks.  Whereas demand for physical metal has skyrocketed in response to PM smash downs, the price on these ETFs has remained low or dropped further as the bullion thieves withdraw and accumulate the physical metal from these ETFs (as far as I understand).  My question is:  Would your best guess be that when the big house of cards falls, and the central banks/planners can no longer keep this fiat system going with printing and market manipulations, will these types of ETFs also rise in parallel with what we might expect will be a huge increase in the value of the PMs (physical)?  I'm hoping your inside understanding of how the ETFs and the bullion thieves work might give some insight into the likely dynamics for those of us who have our retirement savings locked into the tax-deferred retirement accounts and can't buy physical PMs.  Thanks!!!

rayne's picture
rayne
Kids and the Crash Course

I believe I've heard you (Chris) mention that you and your wife homeschool your kids.  Do you believe that the Crash Course is incompatible with public school?  Is there anything relating to the crash course that you specifically do or do not discuss with your kids? 

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
5 acres and independence

written more than a century ago and still applicable. robie

unadilla's picture
unadilla
Bug-out time

My partner and I (early 40s) live as frugally as one can in a major metropolitan center, have bought and paid-off some rural property and renovated the house on it to be super-efficient.  We've organized our lives so that we spend around 1/4-1/3 of our time there.  No children, no debts.  Have planted a limited orchard/gardens and expand every year.  Nowhere near total self-sufficiency (if such is even attainable), but working on it, as well as working on building community ties there when we can.  We are both self-employed/freelance in the city, and have seen the pay scales in our respective industries decline by 50-60% in the last five years.  While we have nowhere near the 'financial assets' that mainstream financial advisors suggest we'll need for 'retirement,' we feel we do have skills, attitude and physical assets that mitigate that supposed deficit.  Remaining in our urban 'careers' (declining in value as they are), still seems just financially viable, but always a little less and less so.  We talk about abandoning the city and trying to get by at our rural 'doom-stead' (hate that phrase….) without the city 'careers.'  How/when does one know when it's time to cut loose….?

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Any way to play this weak hand...less weakly?

Hi Chris and Adam-

I have a retirement savings at work that -like many people- gives very limited choices: US stocks (large and/or small), bonds, US Treasuries, or Int'l stocks (EAFE index).  Like many others, I can't touch my retirement savings until I retire (or change jobs, which I don't plan on doing).  

I'm not thrilled with these choices and am at a loss at how to play them as "safely" as possible.  Right now, I'm ~1/3 EAFE and 2/3 Treasuries.  I am uncomfortable being in Treasuries, but with US stocks pumped up so high, I don't think they are a great choice either.  Is there any "less bad" ways to play these choices?  Ugh; I hate gambling with my retirement!

Thanks!

PS I have stopped contributions and am putting new contributions in PMs little by little.

GeoffB's picture
GeoffB
How will developing countries be affected by the coming crash

Living in Southern Africa comes with its own problems/opportunities. Have you given thought as to what effect the coming "1st world" crises will have on developing countries.

We have raw materials but industry is weak and we trade mainly with developed countries.

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
As far as "Spousal communication"

is concerned, there is a thread that addresses that. I just looked for it and wasn't able to find it. It was posted a few years ago. If anyone can find it and can post the link, it goes into a lot of depth on this subject and answer riskmgmt's questions.

SS

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Ask and ye shall receive

Wow - we asked for questions, and you guys sure didn't disappoint!

Chris and I are recording the podcast shortly, so let's save any new questions until the next time we do one of these. Which will have to be soon, as I doubt we'll be able to get through all of the ones submitted above today.

We'll do our best, though. And to help us out, use the vote-up buttons to let us know which questions already asked are most important to you. We'll prioritize addressing those in our conversation.

cheers,

Doug's picture
Doug
Environment E

Are you going to place any emphasis on the orphan child of the three Es, the environment?  And by environment, I don’t mean commodities or resources.

I ask this question after seeing/hearing Guy McPherson speak last weekend about near term human extinction caused by climate change.  By near term he specified 2031 give or take 13 years…the soonest being 2018, five years from now.  I think he is a bit of an alarmist, but he supports his opinions with science and reasoning.  (BTW, I can’t seem to find his recent interview/article on PP)  He cites BP Energy Outlook 2030 which concludes we will see 4C global temperature by 2030:

Quote:

Off the climate cliff

Unfortunately for just about everyone, this "most likely" energy comes with one very big downside. If we do burn that much fossil fuel we will crank the global thermostat up 4OC. And that, scientists say, will inflict climate misery on humanity for thousands of years. Out of the peak oil frying pan and into the raging climate fire. Sorry kids.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/climatesnapshot/peak-oil-solved-climate-will-fry-bp-report

Although CC is the big daddy of environmental disasters, there are many others.  Will you look at environmental damage from tar sands or hydrofracking?  Have you considered looking into the recent news that the Amazon is now a net emitter of carbon rather than a carbon sink? 

http://thepimmgroup.org/1108/amazon-rainforest-turning-from-a-carbon-sink-to-a-source-of-carbon/

How about looking at the increasing acidity of the oceans with its many knock on effects, including dying coral reefs, shellfish and other marine life?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ocean+acidification+effects&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F1GnUb_QN87h4APx34DIBQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=620

Are you planning in depth exploration of the loss of water, including the Ogallala aquifer and snow pack in the US west?

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3587&from=rss#.UadUIZjD85s

There there’s the loss of topsoil: 

http://www.bleedingheartland.com/diary/4701/new-report-iowa-losing-topsoil-at-alarming-rate

These are a few that occur off the top of my head.  I’m sure others can think of many more.  The bottom line is that it is arguable that environmental issues are more important that resource issues, and it is inarguable that they are more important than economic issues.  When will they take a more balanced position in the coverage of this site?

Doug

hlerwill's picture
hlerwill
Where is the Archdruid?

One of the reasons I joined is that John Michael Greer was going to be a regular contributor, but it's been a couple of months since I've seen anything from him.  Have you lost him as a contributor or has his recent narrative on gold short-term gold movements having all the signs of a bubble clashed with the PM-promoting paradigm here?

Stan Robertson's picture
Stan Robertson
Spare us the hysterics!
Doug wrote:

Are you going to place any emphasis on the orphan child of the three Es, the environment?  And by environment, I don’t mean commodities or resources.

I ask this question after seeing/hearing Guy McPherson speak last weekend about near term human extinction caused by climate change. . . . .

The bottom line is that it is arguable that environmental issues are more important that resource issues, and it is inarguable that they are more important than economic issues.  When will they take a more balanced position in the coverage of this site?

Doug

Despite this comment having six thumbs up already, I think that adding climate alarmism to the list of serious concerns addressed here would be inappropriate. Chris was among the first to tie environmental degradation to the design of our economic system. It is constructive to try to make people realize the indirect costs of our way of life and to try to change the fundamentals of the system in a way that will reduce the consequences. But considering that there is scant evidence for the proposition that the climate is changing in any catastrophic way, I think that it would be a mistake to lend more weight to the voices of alarm than is warranted by the evidence. One might say that the science, like the weather, is unsettled.

Finally, the internet is already full of sites that let people indulge their climate fears, or not, to whatever extent that they can stand. Why change this one?

Stan

Jim H's picture
Jim H
And this is why....

I never post in relation to the question of climate change. 

Poet's picture
Poet
Stan Robertson, Why?

Stan:

Respectfully, I ask why you are criticizing a fellow member's questions of Chris and Adam, when no one else in this thread is criticizing any other person's questions.

We ask questions because we feel they are important, or we wouldn't ask them. And, due to all the hard work of everyone so far, this is a place we feel safe enough to ask.

It will be up to Chris and Adam to determine whether to address Doug's questions, or mention them at all, or decide to start in a new direction. There is no need to tell anyone whether Doug's personal questions are worthy or not.

To me, your reply to Doug feels dismissive and derisive (to call the concerns of millions, supported by the research of legions of bona fide climate scientists, "climate alarmism", amongst other statements, would qualify) and seems to not respect the intelligence and decision-making abilities of others to evaluate Doug's questions for themselves.

Sincerely,

Poet

Lnorris's picture
Lnorris
Mortgage question

Hi Adam and Chris,

What would you suggest to someone who has a 30yr fixed rate with the ability to pay it down substantially.  Is it better to pay it off in 8-10 yrs or is it advisable to save cash? What about saving for college? I'm talking 7 years out on the time horizon. We have an 11 year old and he is aware of what is going on but I don't want to dash his dreams.  Any advise on the careers looking forward would be helpful. 

We've paired our expenses down so we are living on one salary in the event one of us lost our job. We keep our lives simple and try to increase our resiliency with gardening, water, energy and focusing on learning/teaching ourselves new skills.

Thanks,

Lynne

HughK's picture
HughK
When will PeakProsperity recognize the threat of Global Warming?

Dear Chris and Adam,

As I wrote to you personally a few weeks ago in more detail, I believe one of the weak points of PeakProsperity is the apparent agnosticism on anthropogenic climate change.  Since Doug brings up PP's relative neglect of the third E, the font of our primary and secondary wealth, I will chime in with his post by saying that PP's avoidance of climate change is a weak point in the site's analysis of major destabilizing shifts in civilization, and it seems legitimate to share this concern publicly on a site that is successful at being a place to freely exchange of ideas

I really appreciate all of the work that both of you have done over the years, so my concern is not meant in the spirit of criticism as much as in the pursuit of improving and clarifying our understanding of big shifts in civilization.

Cheers,

Hugh

P.S. I have read Stan's post, and I try to follow the Definitive Global Climate Change Thread, so I am reasonably familiar with Stan's position on anthropogenic global warming.  I will just say that I have spent enough time researching and writing about the issue to see that the evidence that AGW is both real and very significant is quite strong and convincing, although, as with any area of science, there are still many specific questions to answer and things we do not know 

Stan Robertson's picture
Stan Robertson
Poet
Poet wrote:

Stan:

Respectfully, I ask why you are criticizing a fellow member's questions of Chris and Adam, when no one else in this thread is criticizing any other person's questions.

Poet,

I did not criticize Doug or his question. I asked a question of my own, which was whether changes in the conduct of PP were warranted.

Stan

Hrunner's picture
Hrunner
When will the climate change alarmists grow up?

Dear HughK,

I try to take everyone at face value, including you.  In goodwill, I assume you don't have a sociopathic axe to grind- all humans are evil, are a 'virus' to the planet, etc.  That said, may I represent a side of the issue that is neither climate change denyer or climate change alarmist, with the objective to give you one perspective as to why the climate change/ green 'everything' people are tiresome, and ineffective, to me at least.

I will try to walk through a calm step of logical steps.

1)  I am a scientist.  I was raised in the long tradition of the scientific method.  Climate studies do not follow the scientific method.  Climate folks seem to love to wrap themselves around 'science'.  They, IMHO, need to take a heavy dose of humility pills.  The scientific method is "Observe" "Hypothesize" "Test" Rehypothesize".  Even then, some science is accepted (Newton's Laws) based on correct hypotheses and experiments, but is often changed or updated in the future (quantum mechanics). 

Let's acknowledge we cannot run experiments with one planet where we add gobs of gases such as CO2 and one identical control planet where we do not add gobs of CO2 to see what effects on temperature and climate are.

So, we are stuck with a paradigm that is not a true, rigorous scientific method.  That is not a debate, that is truth.  We are left with "Observe"  "make a model"  "predict what is next based on our model"  "observe and compare".  For clarity, this is not the scientific method.  This is modeling.  This does not mean it is valueless.  Models occasionally "work" in that predict future results for no other reason than they are lucky.  On the flip side, models occasionally fail to "work" in that they may be generally correct but fall short because they leave out a key correction factor, or have an incorrect multiplier, etc.

Models are models.  They are not proven scientific facts tested by experiments.

2)  About the only thing we seem to have clarity about is that the earth is in a warming trend.  No one seems to deny that.  Although apparently recent evidence is that the warming trend is slower and milder than predicted. Can we acknowledge that the earth has gone through warming and cooling periods in history, including in times where human populations were tiny compared to today?  That does not discount the fact that global temperature changes and climate effects, whatever their causes, can have major effects on humans, including weather damage and changing the way we grow crops.  I, as a AGW skeptic, can agree with that.

3)  I know from personal experience that scientists are humans, not disspationate robots.  They do unethical things, falsify data, or more likely, just cherry-pick data.  There have already been several proven incidents of data fraud in the climate community.  As a seeker of truth, I acknowledge that but also acknowledge (and disagree with some of the more strident folks), that we should continue to gather data and to model, if for no other reason than to get more accurate predictions of changes.  IMHO they have a vested interest in "finding something dramatic, something scary, something impactful".  "Nothing dramatic to see here" is the wrong answer if you want to be accepted in climate community, and most importantly, get more funding. 

While I think this is counterproductive and makes me add a second layer of skepticism to climate research, I actually don't get too upset about it because it has to do with how we are constructed as humans.  I also believe there is an ulterior motive with many on the AGW side of the debate, which dovetails with their political beliefs, that being we need a larger government because the unwashed masses need to be highly controlled.  AGW provides an excuse to exert more control (CO2 is a "toxin" and all that follows from that.

4)  Whether climate changes are caused completely by natural events, completely by human activity or a mix of the two, it is highly unlikely to impossible (human caused) or actually impossible (natural caused) that you and any combination of your AGW community are going to change whatever trajectory we are on.  If AGW is major, are we going to A) shut down all of western living and live in thatched huts and eat berries?  Even the AGW crowd seems to like their Ipads and I-doodads too much for that, and B) invade all the other countries like China that refuse to live in thatched huts to force them to live in thatched huts?

5)  Isn't a more rational course to make a case to get off of fuels that give off CO2, which have their own issues (limited supply, more and more expensive to mine) on the basis of cheaper, more sustainable, does not depend on Islamic fundamentalist countries, and oh by the way, doesn't give off CO2?  I could get behind that. 

6)  Given 1)- 5), I think an actual and more real issue is the other E, Economy, in that we have lived beyond our financial means for so long and set up a system of debt-money that requires too much growth.  That's good enough reason to focus on sustainable living.  And it doesn't require hijacking every discussion and every thread, and wasting precious psychic energy around things you cannot reasonably change.

I say these things as a friend that wants everyone to be more successful and more productive, not to win a political argument.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Re "Spousal Communication"

Hi SingleSpeak and Riskmgmt-

I was able to find a couple of the old threads on spousal communication, in particular if one's spouse is not on board with the ideas in the CC.

1.  First, here is Becca Mertenson's thread on do's and don'ts when communicating with a reluctant partner:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/dealing-reluctant-partner/49618 and..

2. Tabletop's thread on "spouse's who just don't get it":  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/spouse-who-just-dont-get-it/14777

I hope these help!

John Lemieux's picture
John Lemieux
Global Food Crises

IMO it is unfortunate that Jeremy Grantham is one of the few leading financial figures who gets both global warming and growing food insecurity.

Also from Jeremy Grantham;  "Global warming will be the most important investment issue for the forseeable future"

John

hotjock's picture
hotjock
Post Financial Collapse

Dear Adam & Chris,

I bought a few golds (not much) from saving. I have no job now.

If dollar collapses, should I sell gold to get dollars when the price goes up? if yes, I m confused. Why do I sell gold to get dollar back again if it collapses? I am not a guru like you so I do need your help for this for survival.

Thanks,

Brian

hotjock's picture
hotjock
new currency

Dear Adam and Chris,

I just sent you a question but I forgot to ask you this one: if there is a new currency, can/will dollar be exchangeable?

If not, does it mean dollar = 0 and wealth is destrpyed?

If yes, does it mean I should sell gold at a good price then I exchange it with new currency? 

Thanks so much A & C.

Bryan

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Earn the right to be here

I am not a big fan or corporate speak, but they did borrow and twisted around a bit, an important concept from eastern spiritual traditions, what they have called "emotional intelligence".  Ones ability to perceive reality has little to do with one's intelligence.  Or perhaps put differently ones intelligence has little to do with ones cognitive ability, but the emotional field in which it operates.

Thanks Jim H for your comment.  It points to the primary issue of our time.  Are we going to grow up as human beings!  Will we make it out of our terrible two phase as a species or will we destroy overselves?

If we assume that we, us personally or collectively as a spieces, are the center of the universe, then well of course climate change can't be happening or resources can't be running out, because then we can have what we want, and well we know that that is the most important thing in the universe.

We have been given this amazing, awe inspiring beautiful planet to live on, it seems that we have not been able to wrap or minds around the fact that our lives here are a gift for which we should be thankful.  The world is alive and very much more intelligent than we give it credit for, which we in our arrogance and daily actions deny. Everything that we have is a gift from the planet that we live on, and no, we as human beings are not the center of the universe, and the possiblity of our extinction is becoming very real. The world will be able to get along without us, and gratefully so if we don't change.  Jim did a great job of enumerating just a few of the devastating of our ways of being.

We have confused technology with the natural resources of this planet. Our assumption has been that if the natural systems of this world are not giving us what we want then they need to modified to suite our immediate needs without any thought regarding the long term consequences of our actions.  "Don't worry, will cross that bridge when we get to it" just doesn't cut it any more.  We are at that bridge and our ability to cross is getting ever more tenuous.

We need to confront the ugly side of humanity, the poverty, wars, brutality, violence, exploitaion, and self centeredness, which lives on within each one of us.  The native americans called us the fat takers, exploiters who take with givng back or even understanding what they are taking from, the living world that willingly sacrificies for us at every moment.

We have been given everything that we need, the possibility of a wonderful and bright future is possible is there if we choose it.  But we must first understand that we as humanity are one small voice in the choir of conscious life that makes up this amazing universe.

Oh yeah, question for Chris and Adam, in support of jim's request, can we do a better job of tying back the economic analysis, which floats several layers above the central problem, which is our relationship to the living planet that makes our life possible?  To call them "resources" is already a mental denigration which tees them up for exploitation.  Can we change the water in which we swim, can we do the impossible?

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Business as Usual.

How does Chris stand on the Limits to Growth, standard run?

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
intellectual honesty tests

Stan -

This case is actually interesting for me to see how someone behaves when they step in poo in an obvious way.  We all get stuff wrong, and when its pointed out, do we look at it and realize our error and acknowledge it, or do we attempt to deny regardless of cost or situation?  I like to call that sort of thing an intellectual honesty test.

Say for instance, if you first criticize another's post, and then when a third party (say named Poet) calls you on it, and your response is to flatly deny what you just did - its there in black-and-white, and any third-grade second language student reading your criticism would see this - well, that's a straight-out failure of the intellectual honesty test.

The impact of this at least for me is that it tends to cast doubt on the rest of your posts on other, more technical matters.  After all, if you are intellectually dishonest about something so silly - and obvious - why should I bother to take the technical stuff you say seriously?

In case its not obvious, the "A" response would have been something like, "oh yeah, I got carried away, sorry guys I'll take it back to the climate thread."  That earns full points for honesty in a simple and easily verifiable case, thus actually bolstering everything else you write on matters that likely are of far more substance.  When someone admits fault in an easy (but perhaps modestly ego-deflating) case, it earns my respect.  It tells me, "that guy isn't solely about ego - perhaps I should pay more attention to stuff he writes."

Sorry for the digression.  Lots of good questions asked by everyone here, should keep the gang busy for weeks!

rayne's picture
rayne
Sad about the climate change fighting - not a ? for Chris

I feel that there are so many fights about the climate models and overall global temperature that it keeps people from talking about the degradation of our environment on a more local scale.  Doug made some valid points: topsoil degradation, aquifer depletion, ocean acidification...

I'm from SE Alaska and there seems to be this eternal push and pull game between those who want to log the rainforest and those who don't.  One thing that is often not considered from the pro-logging side is the effect logging has on the ecosystem that supports salmon spawning and honestly the majority of Alaskans are less concerned about the salmon and more concerned about jobs.  This is because the salmon runs are still plentiful in Alaska... for now.

The thing I enjoy about the 3 Es is that it recognizes that we are no longer in a state of abundance.  We are peak everything and this causes thoughtful people (like us) to consider the consequences.  The problem is if we put the economy on a pedestal and ignore the environment we will not be better off.  I can guarantee that (given the political climate) if the Gold price doubles there will be an explosion of mining in Alaska with little regard to the health of the salmon streams.  And you can't eat gold.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose
You cant eat gold

You ca'nt eat dollar bills either.......cheeky

Sirocco's picture
Sirocco
Community action?

My sense is that most folks at PP.com are already taking actions on an individual or family level to prepare for the future. My question - are there actions that we (the folks at PP.com) can take as a group/community to prepare and thrive in the present and the future? Note: the capability to discuss ideas and share information is huge, but I'm curious about the possibility of stepping it up a notch...

gpoulsen's picture
gpoulsen
Resources

Although I agree with your general post I do not understand what you mean by "To call them "resources" is already a mental denigration which tees them up for exploitation."   What would you call the things of the earth of which we use to live?  Are not water, air, soil things we can utilize to continue to live on this planet.  By definition  "A resource is a source or supply from which benefit is produced."  Is your question then, how can we utilize the earth without destroying it?  I too have that question and would be interested to hear opinions on such.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments