Interesting...delay on materials for my solar hot water

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Sun, May 19, 2013 - 10:41am

Got this in an email from the contractor who is handling my solar hot water installation (Wagner is the brand of panels that we are using):

I heard there is a backlog of requests for Wagner products so I'm not sure when that all will arrive. Sometimes it takes several weeks.  I guess the freighters are going much slower these days to conserve fuel.  Interesting to see how our post peak oil world is changing. 

I'm so glad to be doing this project now.  I really feel that, for me, it's now or never.  State incentive money is expected to "dry up" by July-ish (as heard from more than one local source in the industry.  The federal tax rebate may or may not be renewed.  Both of those incentives are key to my being able to afford this project, as is the current balance between the value of the U.S. dollar and inflation.

I've been wondering if materials such as solar panels would either become harder to get or relatively more expensive or both.  I've wondered how the rising price of oil affects these bulky things that have to be transported long distances.

Makes me wonder where the solar-panel factories are in the U.S., if there are any?  I don't know anything about this, but it has me curious. 

It just reinforces that there is no time like the present to invest in resilience...

Login or Register to post comments