Fracking in my home town

tomed
By tomed on Sat, May 18, 2013 - 8:15am

Hello and new to Colorado.

What am I missing on this topic of Fracking?

I cannot understand how anyone can think this is good for our future.   The risk is far worst than any thing being talk about for our future energy sources.  It smacks of having Love Canal right along side of my water source.

9 Comments

zpaiss's picture
zpaiss
The Upside of Fracking

Good Morning Tomed,

I agree with you. Just imagine you are the long time CEO of an oil and gas company. After thirty years of searching the globe for rich deposits of the resources your company is designed to extract and process, you are coming up dry more times than not. You have even resorted to searching in crazy places like miles beneith the ocean or converting oil-soaked sand into a usable product at a profit margin your father (the previous CEO of the Company) would scoff at. You are definately scraping the bottom of the barrel and if your company is going to survive, you need new sources of oil and gas no matter what the cost.

Then some brilliant engineers in your research department tell you of a new technology that can extract the oil and gas from shale rock! It sounds crazy but you can see that the wells are producing. Yes they deplete quicker than previous wells and they use a lot of water, but you can get the product your customers demand.

The big challenge is because of the small or even non-existant profit margins at this point in time, you will need to get your lobbyists to work on congress to allow for export of these products (especially the gas) oversees where the prices are 3-4 times what you can get domesticaly. That should not be a problem with the right members of congress who have consistantly supported you in the past.

So the environmental issues you raised are just externalities and the unfortunate side effects of supplying product to your customers who are desperate for what you have to sell.

Cherihuka's picture
Cherihuka
Hi tomed, welcome to

Hi tomed,

welcome to Colorado!  

I think Zpaiss hit on some good & valid information there.

One more thing to consider is that our counties get a LOT of fee and tax money from these industries- and that in turn keeps our property taxes low. Though no one really likes to see the gas well invasion they don't fight it a lot -maybe that's the reason. Water is becomming more of an issue though so it could change things if drought continues.

dps's picture
dps
In the end of the chain of

In the end of the chain of dependencies for every living thing is a viable ecosystem.  Should we choose to ignore this fact, the price shall eventually be paid.

Permaculture ideas worth implementing:  Earth Care, People Care, Fare Share

For ideas about improving your habitat in your neighborhood, consider checking out Living Systems Institute in Golden, CO. 

Donald P. Studinski, Beekeeper, 303-248-6677, I do not text, twitter or facebook.
Year-round Beekeeping Mentor Program,
Collecting Swarms, Providing Pollination, Performing Extractions
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
michele wells dinsmore's picture
michele wells d...
hi from southeastern colorado! intro and reach out

Very good summation! Im new here, and found this group while searching for like minded folks and educating myself about aquaponics.  I AM DELIGHTED to have found this group.  I live out east (of pueblo) and alternative ANYTHING out here is surprisingly lonely! Although the old timers and hold outs are good folks overall, this area has seen more than its share of small town decay and the infiltration of urban refugees typically hard luck stories with no jobs and various monkeys on their backs -and sadly ,many young uns in tow.  I consider myself more fortunate than many as I found a small farm with a well and am making a go of it. I havethis crazyidea , that if possible, would  regenerate some local food production work but realize that everything must take time and money. Theres too much know how and  fallow resources out here to ignore,and frankly, I cant imagine how folks will carry on out here without reverting and reestablishing a stronger local built economy.  Not long ago this wasa thriving farm country,with canneries and pickling plants.  Holly sugar was THE big company out here.  Now, since big agra took over, and the frontrange demand for water literally reallocated our main water sources, each of these remaining industries dried up and closed.  The term "FOOD DESERT"  IS very appropriate for the five southeastern counties that now rely on drive through gas stops and wal mart for their food.  We still have a few IGA stores but they arent able to do much but hold on, much less expand services.  It all seems to come down to getting our local small town infrastructures repurposed and revived on a SMALL scale.  With so much seasonal food production going on,the only gap now is getting that fresh local food canned,dried,and stored for year round availability. I wonder if the locals,if a local canning, drying facility were set up,if they would prefer non gmo sustainably raised foods specifically packaged for long term storage would be appreciated?  Especially if we could create a brand identity for this area?  Im already producing a line of dried fruit and nut treats that are all nongmo low real sugar only (or real local honey)made snacks from locally grown (Colorado and Northern NewMexico) foods. I use stevia and local honey only and collect from a variety of sources including wild growing  sources.  InAddition, we have local ranchers who pasture feed and raise a variety of milk and meat animals and they are passionate about the sustainable farming as well.  Ive produced and distributed my products freely to local businesses who have welcomed my product, and tell me if i can manage to gain a commercial food licence they would stock my products.  To that end, I am currently scouting for a facility with a commercial kitchen,or at least the potential for a retail food via a restaurant or cafe that I could  operate in conjunction with the food stores.  I realize the path of good intentions is strewn with failed attempts and bureaucratic land mines, but i am forging ahead as best I can, as I see that our only hope of surviving and at the same time retraining ourselves as to how to live more sustainably for the future is going to become the sole means for a great many folks today,as well as for the next generation.  

Im a cook and bootstrapper business developer with a past in the corporate world trade background. I spent 10 yrs @IBM 1970 ,1982.  Since escaping, Ive owned operated and created several small startups including establishing revenue streams for non profit animal refuges, and ocean research and exploration. Ive also created and operated several hospitality businesses including my own B&B and restaurant and food store. Ive published and written my own newspaper, and have been an active volunteer in many start ups in many countries and states. Im sincerely hoping that there are others here in the outskirts of Colorado who feel as I do, and are as committed to restoring local sustainability and self management to our rural towns. Right now, its getting our small farm producing perma culture crops, and doing lots of research, and gathering intel and networking with folks around the state,region. My email is [email protected]   and we are currently working towards going completely off grid on the farm. ANY advice,inquiries and suggestions are welcome.  Also any warnings or heads up from those schooled in hard knocks are welcomed too. Im a tough bird and I know weve got a really screwed up and dirty political system here in Co.  ( THATS OK! Ive wrestled with political pigs for a long time! I guess I kinda got used to it now! )  "An Army marches on its stomach".

NAMASTE with an open mind,open source, open heart, and an open carry!

Cherihuka's picture
Cherihuka
a penny's worth

Hi Michele, 

Just a few thoughts...

I think Colorado is lucky to have someone like you investing the time and effort and thought into our future. I'm in Durango which is not too far directly west of you- 60K-population --a tourist town more than anything. Sadly our farms here grow mostly feed/fuel corn and hay, but there are a very few CSA-type farms that are expanding, and a few start-up greenhouse endeavors (mostly selling to restaurants) that are finding small-scale personal success. Restaraunts proudly include the names of these farms with the product (beef or salad greens)... makes us feel good to know we're eating local produce! 

I recently remarked to my husband: What if we had a real sudden collapse- how would this place feed itself?! Scary thoughts...  the faster we get onboard with ideas like yours, the better. 

I don't really have any suggestions for you other than the brand identity is a huge draw for tourists and local people here- they like the local microbreweries and locally made salsas, honey, etc. even if they cost more. (I will buy wine by how pretty/unique the bottle or label is, and I will buy something local simply by virtue of it having that word on it's label.)  

Hmm, on second thought, for both ideas nad contacts, I would encourage you to pick up "Edible" magazine (San Juan Mountains version). They feature local farming stories- things people are doing out of the box, and against odds... it's $32. but we get them free off the rack around town! LOVE it... hope to see you in it one day soon!

PS It made me laugh that you 'escaped' from IBM, when people think they are lucky to land a job with them... 

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Colorado Cottage Foods Bill

Hi Michele,

Welcome to the group and thanks for posting your background.  I wanted to give you some info on the recently passed Cottage Foods Bill in the state of Colorado that would allow you to produce and sell certain foods without the need for a commercial kitchen.  Maybe it could help foster the growth and community development you seek to sell locally made food products.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPHE-DEHS/CBON/1251586894464

Again welcome and thanks for posting.

zpaiss's picture
zpaiss
Creating a Sustainable Future

Good discussion forming here. I wanted to make sure than none of you think I support fracking or other energy sources that harm our environment or encourage "Business as Usual" with regard to the amount of energy we use, our unsustainable level of consumption, and all the related healthcare issues which stem from this path.

Below is a wonderful short talk by Richard Heinberg about the problems of "more."

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/DK7R4ZCbd_E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

zpaiss's picture
zpaiss
Video Link

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Edible Magazine copies

Cherihuka and Michele,

Here is a resource for you to access and read all the back issues of Edible San Juan Mountains.  Hope this helps and gives you some inspiration and connections.

http://issuu.com/sunnyboypublications

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments