Eating the Uglies

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, May 9, 2013 - 6:30pm

A few of our strawberries came out looking ike this. It's a result of the cold snap we had while they were in bloom, I understand. You cut around the bad part and eat the rest.

I reminded me of a story my husband told me, of a boyhod visit to his grandparents in Laona, NY. Grandmother asked him to get some apples off the tree to make an apple pie. He came back with the bad news that there were no good apples on the tree. They were either wormy, had other bugs, had been pecked by birds, or had rotten spots. She told him to bring them in anyhow, and he watched her cut around the bad areas and make a marvelous pie from a mound of edible apple pieces.

Home-grown freuts and vegetables rarely look like the ones you purchase at the supermarket. Green beans can look like someone squeezed them in the middle. Cabbages can be small or eaten to cutwork lace. Carrots and other root vegetables can be mishapen. Peanut shells can be tiny and only have one nut. Green peppers and cucumbers can be smaller than you're used to. Peaches can have brown spots.

So what? As they say in the South, "It'll eat." They are still edible, and still taste great. We just had the most marvelous strawberry shortcake for dessert. Have you had any crazy-shaped or damaged garden produce that you ate anyhow?

5 Comments

maceves's picture
maceves
strawberries

so that's why my strawberries look like that...

Woodman's picture
Woodman
I've eaten the most messed up

I've eaten the most messed up potatoes you can imagine, cutting out the bad parts for the chickens or compost.  They taste way better than storebought though.  Unfortunately I ran out of last summers crop this week and will have to buy potatoes.

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Growing for yourself vs for others

When we used to grow and sell produce at our local farmers market stand, we were always facing the dilemma of trying to save and sell the very best produce for market vs us getting to eat the prime foods coming from the garden.  We were not growing so much that we had huge overflow but it always seemed the we "the farmers" where eating the damaged "uglies" that would not sell easily.   Gave us a better understanding and perspective of what is edible and how much food is probably wasted in this country because it is not pretty.  I am now ok with sharing a bit of my produce with the bugs and eating plants that have been snacked on previously. Ugly food tastes just as good as pretty food. 

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Jason, we do the same

Jason, we do the same thing. Our local health foods store buys produce from us. They get the really pretty stuff. We get the twisted, blighted things but they STILL taste better than what you buy in the supermarket.

maceves's picture
maceves
melons

Years ago I lived on land that was largely leased to a big ranch to raise melons.  They would come in a few times to pick the melons that were the exact size for market and left everything else.  They let the people who lived there go into the fields and take the rest.  Needless to say, everybody ate melons.  Now trying to pass them off as trick-or-treats at Halloween did not go over well with the kids.  The melons that were too big, too small, or a little deformed tasted just as good as the perfect ones.

I was very impressed by what a waste that was...but at least the snowbirds, pensioners, unemployed, and everybody else had a lot of melons for a while....

That company decided to grow cotton the next year.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments