Rooster

Woodman
By Woodman on Fri, Apr 26, 2013 - 11:32pm

We keep a rooster to help protect the flock and to allow us to occasionally incubate abd raise a batch of chicks.  "Rooster Jr", our current guy, is really rough on the 9 hens.  He doens't seem to have a favorite but rakes the feathers off the backs of them all.  So far now I put him in his own coop separate from the hens.  Any solutions or suggestions.  I've put saddles on some hens in the past when they got mated on too much,  but doing this for the whole flock doesn't seem to make sense.

4 Comments

peakoilwelder's picture
peakoilwelder
Roosters

A couple of years ago we two roosters that were beautiful, magnificent birds. They were big, black, with bright red combs; and complete monsters as far as the hens were concerned! They would actually fling the hens around after mounting them! We served them side by side at a family dinner and got different roosters. They were brutal birds and just not worth keeping around, we asked ourselves if we really wanted offspring from these two; the answer was no. 

Roosters can be a little tough and gamey, I suggest the slow cooker if you go the "terminator" route. All kidding aside, we have tried to modify behavior and train chickens, but roosters run on testosterone and instinct more than anything else. Besides that they just aren't very smart. We now try to cull out problem boys before they hurt the hens, it just makes sense to us. Hopefully this isn't a special, heritage breed rooster that you have an interest in preserving. Just my two cents, I hope I didn't offend you.

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Roosters

No worries here.  We kept one rooster out of six hatched at my place, choosing the one that was the least aggressive with acceptable appearance, and put the others in the freezer.  I think his roughness on the hens caused egg production to drop down lately; as soon as we isolated him we've been been getting more eggs lately. 

Doug's picture
Doug
Thanks Woodman

Our last rooster is causing the back raking problem.  As a novice chicken keeper, I assumed a rooster was necessary for protection.  Ours mostly defends the hens from us by attacking when our backs are turned.  Plus, none of our hens display any setting behavior, so the rooster is apparently useless.  Maybe stew is the best solution.

Doug

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Roosters

Yes roosters supposedly will defend the hens from predators.  I've lost a couple roosters that were attacked; their sacrifice might have saved some hens.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments