Gun control – A clash of cultures

Travlin
By Travlin on Sun, Apr 14, 2013 - 11:10pm

The gun control debate is passionate, divisive, and angry.  But ultimately it is not about guns.  It is about control.  This is becoming the line in the sand where some people say -- Enough!  We won't be pushed any further.

This is the fault line of two cultures with very different views of the world, and freedom.  It will not go away, and it will be a fight to the bitter end.

To better understand this I recommend reading the remarks below.  Then see the full essay.

Fred Reed wrote:

A staple of American self-esteem is that we Yanks are brave, free, independent, self-reliant, ruggedly individual, and disinclined to accept abuse from anyone.  Call it “freedom.” Because we were free, we felt free.  It was a distinct psychology, though we didn’t know it.

Things then changed. The country increasingly urbanized. So much for rugged.  Self-reliance went. Few any longer can fix a car or the plumbing, grow food, hunt, bait a hook or install a new roof. Or defend themselves. To overstate barely, everyone depends on someone else, often the government, for everything. Thus we became the Hive.

Serving as little more than cubicle fodder, they could not survive a serious crisis like the first Depression. And they look to the collective, the hive, for protection. The notion of individual self-defense, whether with a fist or a Sig 9, is, you know, like scary, or, well, just wrong or macho or something. I mean, if you find an intruder in your house at night, shouldn’t you, like, call a caring adult?

Read the full essay

Travlin

2 Comments

MarkM's picture
MarkM
A Hard Rain's Gonna' Fall

Feds bite back at states asserting their rights. Holder starts using "Constitutionality".

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/02/4214060/us-attorney-general-tells-gov.html#storylink_mainstorystack

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna' Fall

I am not sure that Holder has even read the Constitution.  For him to refer to the Constitution on what is constitutional and what isn't I find even funnier.

He is definately not my favorite AG...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments