Recipes from your garden

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Apr 11, 2013 - 6:49pm

I just had my first greens (kale) and mouthwatering herbs (parsley & thyme) and vegetables (onions and radishes) from our 2013 garden. It got me thinking - are there favorite recipes you make with food from your garden? Please share! Here are a couple of my faves, using kale:

Kale Chips: a simple snack food.

Lay kale leaves on cookie trays and dry in oven at low heat. Break into pieces. Spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss. That's it! Crunchy like potato chips but so good for you.

Chicken Minestrone: kale makes this soup, the way okra makes a gumbo

• 1.5 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken
  • about 2.5 quarts water seasoned with chicken bouillion (or 2.5 quarts chicken stock
  • 1can (or two cups cooked) beans - red or white kidney beans or garbazos (chick peas) work best
  • a hand full of pasta - preferably ziti or fusilli, but any pasta will do in a pinch
  • 3 or 4 handfulls of garden kale, cut in strips - lark's tonge kale is traditional, but any kale will do
  • Garlic - two mashed garden cloves or one teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup fresh onion - I use about two Egyptian walking onions, including the tops
  • 1 cup garden carrots, cut into coins - and reserve about a tablespoon of diced carrot tops for garnish
  • 1 cup garden string beans
  • two or three garden tomatoes, diced - include juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

Put the water & bouillion (or chicken stock) in a stock pot. Add spices (garlic and sal & pepper) and add vegetables in an order based on how long they take to cook: carrots, then green beans, then kale, then onions, then tomatoes. Add the chicken and beans, bring to a slow boil and add pasta. Ready to serve when the pasta is at desired firmness. 

Let's hear some more recipes! Nothing gets those gardening juices going like thinking about the end products.

2 Comments

Thrivalista's picture
Thrivalista
Kale & Potatoes stew

Gently brown chopped onion and garlic, as much as you like. Add cleaned cubed potatoes, water or broth, and kale cut into 1-2" pieces. We cook this in the pressure cooker for about 3 minutes on high, or you could simmer it on the stovetop until the veggies are tender. Don't worry if the potatoes fall apart - that thickens the stew. When the veggies are done, add several splashes of apple cider vinegar - enough to make the flavors pop, salt if you'd like, and a twist or more of freshly ground black pepper. We top this in our bowls with a spoonful of pesto, overwintered in the freezer.  DH adds hot sauce too. (The man puts it on his porridge when I'm not looking.)

Supreme comfort food for these blustery northern spring days. Even our "carnivores only" friends love it.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
stupidly easy spaghetti & pizza sauce
  • 10 to 12 garden tomatoes, stems removed and quartered
  • 1/2 garden jalapeno pepper, seeded
  • 6 garden garlic cloves
  • 1 garden onion, quartered
  • any other veggies you have lying around that would taste good in a totato sauce (bell peppers can be roasted with the rest , but boil carrots, mushrooms, leeks, green beans, and snow peas to add After Roasting)

After Roasting: run it all through a food processor with 6-8 fresh basil leaves and any boiled veggies. then, in a bowl add:

• 1 TBS sugar per quart of tomato sauce
  • 1 TSP salt
  • 1/2 cup Romano cheese
  • Add water to correct thickness

Roast tomatoes and basic ingredients (not boiled or After Roasting things) in a 350 degree F oven, stirring occasionally, until it all turns to mush. Let sit in the oven overnight. In the morning, run it all through a food processor, adding the basil plus any boiled veggies - and a little water (as needed). Once you have a batch of sauce in a bowl, add the sugar, salt and cheese. The cheese will soak up a lot of the water, so allow for that.

I can this in a waterbath canner for 20 minutes, but you can use it right away, or freeze it.  I mostly use it as sauce on whole wheat pizza. It's amazing.

(adapted from a recipe I found in The Quarter-Acre Farm by Spring Warren. She puts peaches in one variety of tomato sauce, and olives in another. Never tried those ingredients, so no opinion.)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments