Anyone following the developments in Colorado?

MarkM
By MarkM on Tue, Apr 2, 2013 - 10:11am

A little snip of the people Colorado is having to deal with...and they seem to be winning.

http://co-ironwill.blogspot.com/2013/03/he-wants-to-cleanse-society-of-gun.html

11 Comments

Travlin's picture
Travlin
There’s more

MarkM

Two major companies in the gun industry, Magpul and HiViz, have announced plans to leave Colorado due to recent gun control laws passed there.

Companies in other states are considering leaving too, due to new laws proposed or already passed.  It comes a point where you have to vote with your feet. 

Travlin 

MarkM's picture
MarkM
I agree that voting with your feet is good

However, that ultimately allows another domino to fall and the "other" side slowly chips away. A state here, a state there.

Interesting that many of the sheriff's of CO have stated that they will not enforce the laws. Then, a sheriff came forward and said that he had recieved a thinly veiled threat that compensation packages for sheriffs would be influenced by the actions of dissenting law enforcement officers. This was after sheriffs spoke before the state legislature in opposition to the gun laws that were subsequently passed.

Now, we have word that the Governor has a bill on his desk that would supposedly allow the Secret Service arrest powers in Colorado. One has to wonder what the motivation is for that.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=22348

I'm glad I live in Texas.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Delving deeper

MarkM

Your link lead to this one that goes into more depth.  It is particularly interesting to see the list of proposed state laws to limit or prohibit federal authority.  Some people are really pushing back in several states.  Here is a quote:

“A growing list of now more than 340 sheriffs who have reportedly vowed to uphold the Constitution against efforts to undermine Americans’ gun rights is being accumulated by the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association.”

Travlin

nickbert's picture
nickbert
difficulty in enforcement

As someone who's in Colorado (at least for the next year or so), I can't help but wonder how they expect to enforce the new magazine ban.  As far as I know, to date there is no way for them to determine if a given magazine has been bought or brought into the state before the ban goes into effect.  The law mentions requirements for magazine manufacturers in Colorado (if there will be any left cheeky) to have the date of manufacture on the mags, but there is no reason for manufacturers outside of Colorado to do so.  There is also no registration mechanism for grandfathered mags in the new legislation either (to my knowledge).... so how do they prove a given mag is grandfathered or in violation?  How would an owner prove it, especially if they don't have receipts or they brought their mags in from another state?  One of the Colorado sheriffs supposedly said he'd refuse to enforce this new law in part because of the inherent problems in enforcing it:

http://news.yahoo.com/colo-sheriff-refuses-enforce-gun-control-bills-024...

I suspect that the law may get successfully challenged at some point, both because of this and the fact the poor wording of the law actually bans more magazines than was intended ("any magazine that 'can be altered' to hold more than 15 rounds").  In the meantime though, I expect either the law will be largely unenforced, or it will be enforced in such a way to make magazine owners "guilty until proven innocent" (especially in the Denver area).  Probably a combination of both....

- Nick

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Obama visits Colorado

Biden visited Colorado before the state passed the new gun laws for the purpose of furthering the president's agenda. Now the president will be visiting to praise the good job the Colorado legislature did.

Here is one local police officer's take. He does not like being used as a pawn in the politician's games.

http://co-ironwill.blogspot.com/2013/04/denver-cops-colorado-sheriffs-not-happy.html

Travlin,

Here is the white house response to the sheriff's stance. These folks have the propaganda and manipulation game down pat. You folks must follow the "law" but we don't have to.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/white-house-sheriffs-follow-law-enforcing-gun-control-measures

nickbert's picture
nickbert
MarkM wrote: Biden visited
MarkM wrote:

Biden visited Colorado before the state passed the new gun laws for the purpose of furthering the president's agenda. Now the president will be visiting to praise the good job the Colorado legislature did.

Here is one local police officer's take. He does not like being used as a pawn in the politician's games.

http://co-ironwill.blogspot.com/2013/04/denver-cops-colorado-sheriffs-not-happy.html

Travlin,

Here is the white house response to the sheriff's stance. These folks have the propaganda and manipulation game down pat. You folks must follow the "law" but we don't have to.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/white-house-sheriffs-follow-law-enforcing-gun-control-measures

Wait, he's speaking here in Denver today?  Talk about rubbing salt into the wound. 

I'm going to look up if there are any planned protests for this today.  I know this is a 'closed event' and there's that horrid "secret security free speech exclusion zone" around any event he's at, but I'm sure there's a venue nearby that gun owners will be gathering at to protest.  What would you put on your posterboard if you had a chance to attend? smiley

- Nick

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Tape a 30 round magazine...

Nickbert, 

Tape a loaded 30 round magazine to your poster and write the words, "Come and take it!"  And be resolved that the only magazines they'll get from you will be emptied first...  wink

Personally, I'm plotting my strategy about how to avoid being a prop in one of these photo ops (without getting fired and spending 2 years in litigation getting my job back.)  

Tom

nickbert's picture
nickbert
thc0655
thc0655 wrote:

Nickbert, 

Tape a loaded 30 round magazine to your poster and write the words, "Come and take it!"  And be resolved that the only magazines they'll get from you will be emptied first...  wink

Personally, I'm plotting my strategy about how to avoid being a prop in one of these photo ops (without getting fired and spending 2 years in litigation getting my job back.)  

Tom

It will have to be a 10 or 20-round mag.... the city of Denver already has it's own ban on mags holding over 20 rounds.  One small example of how this metropolis is at odds with most of the rest of the state.  Yet it still manages to have most of the control.

Besides, I don't have any high-cap mags here.  Nope, no sir....

- Nick

nickbert's picture
nickbert
The crowd around Obama's Denver visit today

I was fortunate that my son's doctor appointment finished quickly, and was able to catch the latter part of the protest outside Denver's Police Academy where President Obama and CO governor Hickenlooper were doing a speech today.  While the building and grounds were closed to the public, the area just outside near the entrance had it's share of people speaking out for both gun rights and gun-control.  I'd say the gun rights crowd had maybe a little more than 40 people there, and the gun control crowd across the street had a little less, maybe somewhere over 20 people (the latter was really hard to be sure of, since they seemed to be mixed in with regular spectators in two different areas).  This was the first gun rights protest of any sort I've been to (in Alaska gun control was a no-win issue for politicians so it was rarely a problem), but I was heartened at how civil and cool-headed most people on all sides were.  The gun rights crowd was vocal at times (especially as the motorcade headed out), but the chanting was limited to "Don't Take Our Guns!" and I didn't overhear anybody making threats or hurling insults.  Most of the time the gun rights people were just talking amongst themselves, and while I overheard a couple "Alex Jones/ Infowars" kind of tangential conversations (i.e. not necessarily baseless but still largely based on speculation and opinions that go beyond the topic at hand), most people seemed pretty rational and reasoned in their conversations on gun rights.  The Denver cops seemed to go out of their way to be polite and courteous to everyone, even though many seemed like they'd rather be doing something else.  The only nastiness I heard were occasional shouts to the gun rights people of "Get out of Denver!" from the gun-control crowd, but it sounded like the same two or so people and not the whole group.  While waiting to cross the street I caught a bit of a conversation between one of the gun-rights advocates visiting the gun-control side and trying to begin a dialog.  It seemed civil enough, but the gun-control guy pretty much stated "I don't like guns period and don't think anyone should have them", so it's not surprising they didn't talk very long.

The one thing I found quite disappointing, though not entirely unexpected, was the lack of mainstream news covering the crowd.  There was a bunch of news vans inside the compound, but other than seeing a camera guy taking shots of the crowd from a distance, they seemed to show zero interest in anything other than the president's speech.  There were a small number of independent journalists and reporters talking with people and covering the event though, and I overheard at least one interviewee that was remarkably well-spoken and on-focus on gun-rights issues and information.  But sadly no mainstream coverage, and I didn't see anything about it on the local TV news either (though they very briefly covered a rally in a different part of town of a group of sheriffs protesting the magazine bill).  Oh well, they ignore a growing movement at their own expense....

- Nick

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Magazines are ammunition

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/04/03/co_democrat_doesnt_understand_high-capacity_magazines_can_be_reloaded.html laugh

Unfortunately, the opinion of the masses is swayed by useful idiots such as this.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
How rational

Oh yeah, we're supposed to have a rational conversation with people who are totally ignorant on the subject, and don't bother to learn about it, yet feel qualified to make restrictive laws.  There are many more examples like this.  And they wonder why gun owners hold them in contempt?

Travlin 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments