Book Reviews

DLClark91
By DLClark91 on Fri, Mar 29, 2013 - 5:53am

Hey everyone!

It's been on my mind for awhile to reach out and exchange book reviews.  During the conference I hurriedly jotted down several of the books which have shaped/guided/inspired many of you, but I know I missed most of them.  I thought it might be helpful for everyone to jot down their 'MUST READ' books that have shaped/guided/governed/expanded your learning.   If you shared a book/resource during Rowe, or would like to share one here - please post the basics & simple review.

I was pretty enthusiastic when talking about THE FOURTH TURNING (Strass/Howe, 1997).   Two of my 'trusted sources' told me this was a must read and I finally dove into the work mid 2012.  It walks the reader thru 500 yrs of Anglo-American history and shows how our society has closely followed a cyclical pattern that repeats itself about 80 yrs.  The term coined by the Romans is SAECULUM ~ defined as the length of a long human life ~ and is characterized by four turnings of roughly 20 years each (High, Awakening, Unraveling, Crisis).   With the cyclical view of history established, the authors then dive deeply into an explanation of what makes each generation unique, and how each of the four generations interact during each turning.  They provide glimpses into periods when we got it right, and when we failed; they capture the strengths & weaknesses of each generation and how they perform during each period.  The roles & interactions of the generations is fantastic.

The most optimistic take-aways for me was to learn that community is the backbone of success in transitioning through any crisis.      It's the primary reason that I like PeakProsperity - emphasis on community.  

Cheers,
Dan 

3 Comments

DLClark91's picture
DLClark91
Other Books of Note

Here's the quick list of what I jotted down...not sure who referenced each work

EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE

COLLAPSE by Jared Diamond

ASCENT OF HUMANITY by Charles Isenstein (sp)

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Books

Great topic, thanks for starting this thread.  When we were at Rowe I heard you mention The Fourth Turning, does sound facinating, I will try to track it down.

I guy who wrote similar stuff is William Irwin Thompson.  These are the three works of his that I read, he is a bit academic and heavy.  I did find them fascinating, talks in great detail about the structure and evolution of culture.

At the Edge of History: Speculations on the Transformation of Culture. NY: Harper and Row, 1971.Passages about Earth: An Exploration of the New Planetary Culture. NY: Harper and Row, 1974.

The Time Falling Bodies Take to Light: Sexuality, and the Origins of Culture. NY: St. Martin's Press, 1981. 

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
The Fourth Turning

Three Beers (and anyone else interested) -

You can learn more about The Fourth Turning theory and find links to the book and related discussion groups here:

http://www.fourthturning.com/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments