A question of Salt

jasonw
By jasonw on Mon, Mar 25, 2013 - 2:23pm

My family has recently completed an experiment to determine how much salt we use for our cooking and flavoring.  When thinking about eating locally and how we produce and grow our food, the question of salt always comes up.  Salt is one of only ingredients we feel we can't do without and we can't produce ourselves. 

The main salt we use is Celtic Sea Light Grey Course Salt.  We hand grind it with a mortar and pestle since it clogs up most grinders.  For our usage trial we measured out 4 oz into a jar and then dated it.  It took us 23 days to use 4 oz.  So our rough estimate is 4 lbs per year of salt with normal use.  This does not include an increase for canning and any preserving that will take place.  So we are going to plan on 5 lbs per year for a family of 4.  Now the question is:  How much should we stockpile? (bulk purchases will save us big)

Does this seem in line with what other folks use?  What are your strategies for keeping this precious resource on hand and available?  Do you have a local salt source available?

Love to hear your feedback and comments about salt. 

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's The Healthy Table Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of culinary enthusiasts explores and share knowledge and experiences with cooking and food preparation. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

, , , ,

2 Comments

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Cheap salt

Jasonw

"What are your strategies for keeping this precious resource on hand and available?  Do you have a local salt source available?"

You can buy large blocks of salt cheap at your local farm or feed store.  I remember them as being nearly a foot square and around 10 pounds.  Keep it dry and just break off and grind what you need.  Salt kill germs so it it is safe if it is clean.  If you are finicky you can research how this product is produced.  Probably not "certified" for human consumption, but probably just fine.  It is certaintly a lot better than doing without.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/062575-blains-farm-and-fleet-white-...

Travlin 

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Interesting point

I am not sure I would use a salt lick block for the family but it raises an interesting point to consider, that of the needs of the animals we take care of.  Might be good idea to have a few of these salt blocks on hand for the animals and pets.  Thanks for the comment Travlin.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments