Change This

TreeGap
By TreeGap on Sun, Mar 24, 2013 - 12:34am

I read an article an I'm very concerned.

After reading the following, I can only thing that if there is no problem with terrorism, pocketbooks stop getting lined and somebody's economy crashes.  Thus, there is significant motivation for a problem.  How do we de-escalate this?

Naomi Klein, “Labratory for a Fortressed World”

“Israel now sends $1.2 billion in “defense” products to the United States–up dramatically from $270 million in 1999. In 2006 Israel exported $3.4 billion in defense products–well over a billion more than it received in US military aid. That makes Israel the fourth-largest arms dealer in the world, overtaking Britain.

Much of this growth has been in the so-called “homeland security” sector. Before 9/11 homeland security barely existed as an industry. By the end of this year, Israeli exports in the sector will reach $1.2 billion–an increase of 20 percent. The key products and services are high-tech fences, unmanned drones, biometric IDs, video and audio surveillance gear, air passenger profiling and prisoner interrogation systems–precisely the tools and technologies Israel has used to lock in the occupied territories.”

http://www.thenation.com/article/laboratory-fortressed-world

2 Comments

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Good article TreeGap

TreeGap

That is a very interesting article you linked.  The premise is that as a country under siege by terrorist Israel is the laboratory and test-bed for anything related to security, and exporting their security products is vital to their economy.

In the USA the military-industrial complex has struggled to reposition itself since the end of the Cold War.  The giant “defense” firms see “homeland security”  as their lifeline as traditional military procurement is bound to fall with the winding down of our current wars.

The US government is the prime market for both of the above sources.  As you say the terrorist threat seems greatly exaggerated, but it sure is good for business and expanding bureaucracies.  These imperatives may not deliberately set out to destroy civil liberties, but the affect is the same.  The control freaks in government aid and abet the process.

Thanks for starting this discussion TreeGap.  I hope more people will do so, and become members of the Civil Liberties group like you.  But you don’t have to be a member of this group to start your own discussion on civil liberties.

Travlin

TreeGap's picture
TreeGap
Incentive

Hi Travilin,

I thought the article was telling and very, very concerning.  If Homeland Security is a cash cow, that is an incentive for securing the "homeland" to keep the money flowing.  The efforts to provide this "security" trampel our civil liberties. 

At some point, this infusion of cash will have expanded certain bureaucracies to be so large—there will be no return to Life as we've known it.  The freedom and way of Life we've have had here in the US for centuries...  would not be enjoyed by our children.

With the compounded dynamics of the US military economy and the geo-political sensitivies of Israel (and their need for a strong economic export), this is not going to be an easy stranglehold to break.

When I first read this article it really connected some dots.

-- TreeGap

P.S.  This also has large implications for the 2nd Amendment.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments