Completing the coop with roosting bars

phecksel
By phecksel on Sat, Mar 23, 2013 - 9:06pm

We have the cutest coop that sits under the extended overhang of the new shed.  Very pleased with the look and design... except it did not come with any roosting bars.

Since I get to put in whatever I want now :)  What do chickens like best?  We're in a northern climate and I will have to add some form of supplimental heat.  It was suggested nothing more than 2x4 on side that way they can keep their feet warm.  How high should each hop be and how far apart should they be?

Some of our pullets are leaving us tomorrow.  We bought extra and one friend is taking hers tomorrow.  Another friend is taking hers in a few days.  Thinking next weekend they will make into their new home.

6 Comments

Doug's picture
Doug
roosting

For adults the roosts should be about 2" in diameter.  I use tree branches.  They worked pretty well when they were still, maybe, 6 week chicks.  A foot or two off the floor seem to work pretty well.

Quote:

Roosts. Chickens feel safe at night when they are at least two feet off the ground on a roost of some kind. It can be as simple as a thick branch you've cut from a tree or a dowel rod from the hardware store, but chickens will do best on a square bar about 2 inches thick. some people put these at different heights (starting at 2 feet and stair stepping up), but if you put them all at the same height, they will all feel "equal" and not fight as much over the top roost (ever heard of a pecking order?). Be sure to allow 10 inches of roost per bird and place them 18 inches apart. And there should be a pit underneath with plenty of liter to catch excess droppings that accumulate during the night.

I got this here:  http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2010/10/poultry-basics-shelter-roosts-and.html

Doug

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
pvc pipe

I used some 2" diameter PVC pipe. I sanded it a little to give it some texture for them to grip. They seem to be fine with it. 

Woodman's picture
Woodman
roosts

I've used 2x3's laid flat about 2' high in the coop, and my chickens seem happy.  One hen has taken to sitting on the waterer lately, which makes a mess; I need to put something on it to prevent that.

I don't worry about heat for my chickens in Maine unless it gets down below about 10F, then I put in a heat lamp or a small electric heater to keep eggs from freezing and the rooster from getting frostbite on his comb.

phecksel's picture
phecksel
After a few days, most used

After a few days, most used is the middle bar.  A couple have ventured onto the top bar, but it is not the norm

Here's the coop, sorry for the mess, I finally finished this afternoon and still had a bunch of tools out

Couple of the birds :)

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Nice coop!

What do you have for hens?

phecksel's picture
phecksel

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments