The Hillbilly Housewife

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Fri, Mar 22, 2013 - 7:13am

If you want to start cooking from scratch, especially if you wish to use up ingredients from your deep larder, this is the site for tried-and-true recipes. The Hilbilly Housewife site is also chock full of frugal ideas and money-saving "life hacks."

This morning I wanted to make pancakes. We normally use Aunt Jemimah Whole Wheat Blend mix, which is currently about $3 retail. It makes 12-15 pancakes. And notice the nasty work "blend." That means it has evil white flour in it! Using this recipe I quickly made five 100% whole wheat pancakes for about 30¢. It was easy.

vs. scratch: 

Mind you, the egg milk and oil were not included in the mix, either. So an equivalent to my old box of pancake mix will cost me 90¢. This was a great way to use up some of the home ground, red heard wheat flour in my pantry.

8 Comments

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Great resource, Wendy

I read her website long ago, so long ago I had forgotten about it.  Definitely incorporated some of her ideas (and felt validation for some I already knew.)

One thing I'd like to share is, you don't need milk.  We are dairy-free and have been since 1993 (kids, too.)  I had a dairy sensitivity that has since resolved, but we still generally don't eat it, though I confess I enjoy a bit of aged local raw cheese these days when I can get it.

To bake without milk, just use water or other liquid and add baking soda -- a pinch, or a 1/4 tsp, or up to 1/2 tsp. depending on the recipe.  I especially love using up leftover bits of cider or fruit juice mixed with water, but plain water will do just fine.

You can also halve the sugar in any recipe calling for it, if you bake with sugar.

I'm going to revisit that site.  I remember it being very inspiring (and definitely a case of "take what you need and leave the rest" -- not all of her suggestions will resonate with everyone, but it's worth a read.)

Woodman's picture
Woodman
pancakes from scratch

I make crepes or pancakes from scratch every weekend in my household. It's and easy routine I don't understand why anyone wastes money on a mix.  We never get dry cereal or mixes anymore.  I change things up with a little oatmeal, cornmeal, blueberries etc.  We have plenty of eggs from the backyard so I always substitute an extra egg for the oil in pancakes, muffins, etc., and  I think that tastes better and is more nutrious.

mobius's picture
mobius
Pancakes with Buttermilk

Ditto Woodman, but I make flapjacks with buttermilk instead of regular milk.  Less calories in the buttermilk, and is cheaper than 1,5% fat milk.

Don't mind the weird reaction when you beat the buttermilk into the eggs...

Et voila...enjoy.   oh yum...now I have a hankeriing for them 'jacks.

Wishing you all a pleasant long weekend.

Joanne.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
We are really enjoying oatmeal for breakfast these days

Hard to imagine why more people don't make it from scratch.  Put it in a pot, bring to a boil, stir, cover,  remove from heat, and let sit for a few minutes.  We toss in a small amount of any of the following for texture and taste:  granola, raisins, fresh or frozen berries, apple bits, coconut (tropical luxury food, LOL), nuts, even the crumbs left at the bottom of the "nut jar."  My kids like a demitasse spoonful of local maple syrup on it, but I think it's fine without as long as there's other interesting things on it (and I even have a sweet tooth).

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Can't help but think of the Tightwad Gazette here as well.

Seems to me that the Hillbilly Housewife and Tightwad Gazette go hand in hand.  I have this edition of the Tightwad Gazette -- back in the early 1990s when it was published, people thought Amy Daczyczn was nuts, but I think her message is very timely now.  I discovered her books in the late 1990s.  A lot of her suggestions are more relevant to people with more mainstream leanings than mine (e.g., storing onions in worn-out pantyhose...I haven't worn pantyhose in years), but her point is sound -- you can absolutely make do and feed your family and save money creatively to support your family's resilience.  I don't believe she used the word "resilience," but her financial choices definitely qualify.  If you can "take what you need and leave the rest," her books are thought-provoking and humorous at the same time.

lld3j's picture
lld3j
Just made three batches of homemade laundry soap last weekend

It took me all of 30 minutes to make and will last me about a year (90-100 large laundry loads).  The cost for the ingredients was ~$6.50.  I finely grated 1 bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap--use a micrograter if you have one. Mix grated shreds with 1 cup of 20 mule team borax and 1 cup arm & hammer washing soda.  Mix with a wooden spoon for ~ 5 minutes until the shreds break down and form moderately fine powder with the borax and washing soda.  Its more economical than commercial detergent, uses no petroleum based detergents, no petroleum based bottle to recycle and cleans better than most commercial laundry products.

Lorrie

solana314's picture
solana314
BudgetBytes

I love the Tightwad Gazette too.  I love how she takes a very logical approach to every solution and often tests and analyzes multiple alternatives instead of just saying "do this because it saves money".  

I recently found a website that I now use a lot with tons of cooking from scratch recipes that calculates cost per serving for every recipe:

www.budgetbytes.com

I like how it has step by step pictures too, so you can learn new things.  

I learned from it also how to make homemade chicken broth almost entirely from things you would have otherwise thrown away (or composted).

solana314's picture
solana314
BudgetBytes

I love the Tightwad Gazette too.  I love how she takes a very logical approach to every solution and often tests and analyzes multiple alternatives instead of just saying "do this because it saves money".  

I recently found a website that I now use a lot with tons of cooking from scratch recipes that calculates cost per serving for every recipe:

www.budgetbytes.com

I like how it has step by step pictures too, so you can learn new things.  

I learned from it also how to make homemade chicken broth almost entirely from things you would have otherwise thrown away (or composted).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments