off-grid weather prediction

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 - 2:15pm

Yesterday, after a couple of months of disappointment, the NOAA let me down. They did not predict rain, let alone a severe thunderstorm that knocked out our power. As governments around the world cut their budgets, weather prediction is just one more thing that will suffer. As gardeners, this has implications.

Up until Jan 1, 2013 the National Weather Service was updating its temperature and weather "current conditions" every 10 minutes. Now, they update it every two hours. This was annoying to me since I want to know when to fire-up our wood stove (anything below 50 degrees and falling is optimal) - so I bought an outdoor thermometer.

Now that they failed to predict a severe storm, I am adding a barometer. My husband wants to put together our own weather station. He knows how. Here is what you need to know:

If you want to learn about the weather, an excellent place to start is with the Forecasting The Weather section. Then, using cheap or free materials, you will learn to build and understand:

·           A wind vane (surface wind direction)

·           2 different barometers (atmospheric pressure)

·           2 different hygrometers (humidity and relative humidity)

·           3 different anemometers (surface wind speed)

·           2 different nephoscopes (clouds & winds at high altitude)

·           A rain gauge

·           A snow gauge

Then, you will learn how to:

·           Set up your home weather station

·           Chart your readings and data

·           Watch local TV weather forecasts in a new way

from http://www.salemclock.com/weather/weather01.htm

Login or Register to post comments