where to buy gold and precious metals

Joe McDonald
By Joe McDonald on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 - 10:44am

I am interested in what yourexperience has been in purchasing bullion coins. I have bought several times from APMEX and have been satisfied but wonder what else is out there.

7 Comments

Sami Jim's picture
Sami Jim
Lots of choices

The choices for me while looking on line were too many, as I am new to purchasing coin. I settled a few months ago on Independent Living, and have zero complaints. Being a small purchaser, I see the premiums do vary a bit, but appear to be competitive.

Poet's picture
Poet
Gainesville Coins

I have experience with both APMEX and Gainesville Coins (in both cases, buying a little silver only). I've noticed that Gainesville Coins is generally a little cheaper and just as good.

Poet

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Gainesville..

I love Gainesville..they keep me broke (in the fiat sense).  I consider this a screaming buy right now;

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/163229/2013-1-oz-american-gold-...

was $75 over spot yesterday... $80 over today.  You are getting a slabbed, serialized, numismatically graded and validated coin for $15 more than one that comes in the Mint plastic laminate.  

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Reviews

When I've comparison shopped, APMEX prices have always been a little higher than some of their competitors.

I started out with California Numesmatic Investments until they royally fumbled the ball on a shipment.  I got it eventually, but the wait was well past unreasonable.

Then I did a google search on gold dealer reviews.  CNI was correctly rated 3 out of 5 stars.  I price comparison shopped on-line on the dealers rated close to 5 stars on golddealerreviews.com/gold-dealers.  I  made a purhase from Colorado Gold.  They were courteous and prompt, but their price was a little higher than CNI.  Recently, I've been doing business with Texas Precious Metals.  Their Price is lower than CNI and, so far, they have done exactly what they said they were going to do, when they said they were going to do it.  Can't beat that.

Les

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Reviews..

Les,  I have also done business with Colorado and was very happy with them.. they are small and you deal with the principles.  

The metals markets this morning are a perfect picture from the matrix;  industrial metals up.. because the future is so bright!  monetary metals down, because.. um... because the banks in Cyprus remain closed so no bank runs can happen (sarcasm)?

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
JM Bullion

I like APMEX and Gainsville too. Lately I've switched to JM Bullion (JMBullion.com). They will beat a price from another online retailer if you show it to them. They also offer a discount for TSP Member Support Brigade members. 

Joe McDonald's picture
Joe McDonald
where to buy gold and precious metals

I gave Gainesville a try. 

Thanks for the input

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments