Bloomberg: The Real Cost of a Year-Round Garden

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Mon, Mar 18, 2013 - 1:01pm

You know that the concensus is that things are about to get interesting when--of all places--financial news mega-giant Bloomberg does a report on home gardening. Under the topic "Personal Finance," here is

The Real Cost of Starting a Year-Round Garden

For the price of one pound of organic baby mesclun, you can buy seed that will give you salads for a couple of years...In the summer, mosquitoes can be bothersome, and all sorts of bugs -- not to mention deer -- can make it tough for plants to survive. In the winter, those problems disappear, and most crops don’t even need to be watered.

1 Comment

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
My year round garden

I've been gardening year round in south Alabama for several years now.  The summers here were just getting too early, too dry and too hot for some vegetables.  Our winters are usually mild in terms of temperatures (we have gotten into the teens several winters since 2005 and we've had 3 inches of snow that stayed on the ground for several hours one year) so a winter garden can be protected without much effort.  I have raised beds with hoops over three of them that I put agroban over.  It protects down to 28 degrees.  Below that I add plastic over the agroban.  I've moved the growing of most of the cole crops to the winter.  I plant onions, leeks and garlic in the fall and grow them through the winter and I grow the majority of our carrots through the winter.  I've found that the agroban even keeps the lettuce and spinach going when it gets below freezing.  Just plastic over them did not.

I added a greenhouse at the end of last year for starting seed earlier and wintering over citrus and other fruit that can't take the cold.  And this fall I will try growing tomatoes and peppers in it through the winter.  I'm already finding I need more room.  Funny how that works.

I will admit that I am thankful I don't have to battle sub-zero temperatures to garden but this winter the serious wind and rain that has not produced serious drops in termperature have made me grumble a bit.  Not much, I just need to watch the weather on TV to be thankful for what I have to work with.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments