Humor: How bad is the ammo drought?

Travlin
By Travlin on Thu, Mar 14, 2013 - 9:53pm

How bad is the ammo drought? Last week, I saw a picture of a 100 round box of 9mm on the side of a milk carton.

More humor here.  See the comments too.

I joked to my wife that I was going to Walmart to stare at the empty ammo shelves.  Hah!  If you combined all the ammo on eight shelves they would just about cover one shelf.  And 2/3 were shotgun shells.  This is way worse then four years ago.

Travlin 

28 Comments

Poet's picture
Poet
You're Lucky To Get One Shelf

It's worse here in Southern California. I was at a local Walmart. There were only two small boxes of ammo. Two boxes. These are behind locked glass sliding cabinet doors. The two cabinets themselves could easily hold at least a thousand such small boxes.

Poet

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Nothing but...

Shotshells, and odd pistol calibers anywhere I've seen.
I just can't help but wonder where all this is going, and who is paying such ridiculous prices for it?
Ammunition hasn't been the serious target of legislation in my memory, so this is just creating an unrealistic demand. 

Once this feast is over, it'll be a famine for the gun industry. There a lot of guys who're taking on loads of orders right now that can't fill them on account of parts inavailability... Once the pressure is off, it's going to take a while to get supplies back up, and that'll bury a lot of smaller shops.

In any case, I'm sure anyone who prepared before this rush is smiling inwardly.

Cheers,

Aaron

Doug's picture
Doug
.22 LR...

...seems to be slowly reappearing.  Fortunately, I have enough to supply my practice, but not enough to last all that much longer.

Doug

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P
.22lr still MIA here
Doug wrote:

...seems to be slowly reappearing.  Fortunately, I have enough to supply my practice, but not enough to last all that much longer.

Doug

I cannot afford to shoot .22lr, so I've been shooting more .380, 9mm and .40 S&W lately.  Reloading really helps with all except for the little .22lr round.  If there is anything close to a silver lining on the ammo drought, it's that the private range where I shoot is much less crowded now days.  For right now though, I'm not shooting anything I cannot reload for, and even that has a cap to keep from burning through stored supplies.

jasonw's picture
jasonw
rising costs

Aaron and other members,

In your estimation, what level of price increase have you seen over the last few years?  And how much of that cost increase can be factored into rising metal prices, inflation, and supply & depand?

Thanks - Jason

Poet's picture
Poet
How Bad Is The Ammo Drought?

How bad is the ammo drought? Chris Martenson is gonna write a book called The Brass Course: The Unsustainable Future Of Our Rifles, Revolvers, and Rounds.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Ammo prices

Jason,

Since 2000 - ammunition has increased (by rough estimate) ~225% at the most extreme end of things.
Now, depending on if/where you can find it, it's anyone's guess. 

There's no doubt you'll be looking to pay a minimum of 25% more on most common calibers. 

Cheers,

Aaron

Travlin's picture
Travlin
That’s Brilliant Poet
Poet wrote:

How bad is the ammo drought? Chris Martenson is gonna write a book called The Brass Course: The Unsustainable Future Of Our Rifles, Revolvers, and Rounds.

That’s Brilliant Poet.  Now we’ll have to start talking about the three Rs.

Five years ago a 100 count Winchester White Box of  9mm Lugar cost $15 at Walmart.  It has climbed steadily since then and the last I saw it was around $25.  That’s a 67% increase which will surely continue.  And 9mm is a comparatively cheap caliber.

Travlin

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Went to Maine and ....

This past Friday, I travelled to Augusta and stopped at Dick's, Cabela's and Kittery Trading Post to check out the status.  It was as if the ammo was a virus treated with penicillin...  There it was... gone!  All stores were limiting purchases to 3 or 5 boxes of ammo.  Cabela's had only one box of 100 magnum primers.  Kittery had a wee bit more than that; primarily small pistol and large rifle primers.  Small rifle primers, as would be used in 5.56 rounds and large pistol primers, as would be used in 40 S/W, 45 ACP etc, were non-existent.  

22LR was rarely seen on the shelves.  When I did see it at Kittery they were limiting purchases to 5 boxes of 50 rounds each and the price was way too high to interest me.

The only ammo available at all three locations were 7mm magnum and 300 Win magnum.  Most locations had some 30-06 as well, but the size of the round tended to be larger than I prefer; I was seeing lots of 180gr and up.  I just prefer 150gr softpoint for Whitetail.  45 ACP was available as a reloading component in the 300 gr size (not even near my preference).  So odd lots says it all.

Some ammo and reloading components are trickling back into stores.  I did buy some 380 brass for reloading, but there was nary a suitable bit of lead for reloading anywhere to be found.  I may have to start casting my own rounds.  I have heard some say that folks are hoarding what they can find because of Sandy; however I tend to believe that this is a combination of that hoarding and the DHS purchasing over a billion rounds of ammo 'for training and practise' primarily.  And Nobody that I talked to believes that story at all.

I can't see the hoo-ha settling down while Congress is in session.  So that's the report from Moose Country!  Cheers!

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Oh yeah, Humor too

The ammo drought is so severe that Wal-Mart is going to place their ammo shelves in their Seasonal section, behind the chocolate Easter eggs and Peeps...

I am here all week!

jmcsd's picture
jmcsd
Boolits.... we doan ne-e-e-ed no steeenkin' boolits!

Last weekend's ammo hunt yield: Four WallyWorlds:  3 boxes of .410 bird shot...  Big 5 store had a handful of odd calibers, but no .22LR; .223/5.56, 9mm, .357Mag; .30 Wiin, or .308/7.62.  I'm in Utah this week and it's almost as bad here.  Must be a lot of hoarding going on, because nobody's using it at the ranges.

JMC

ao's picture
ao
Just helped a friend with the

Just helped a friend with the purchase of a Bushmaster AR-15 from a local seller, brand new in the box, for $1300.  The seller said they had 800 rds. of .223 tracer in a local store.  Also said someone had come into the local Wal-Mart and bought an entire new shipment of ammo for $4000.  We did the transaction at the police station.  Officer said they are having a hard time finding ammo.  I haven't personally looked for quite a since I have plenty.  Any replacement will come when the prices drop.

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
re: Just helped a friend...

ao typed, 'Officer said they are having a hard time finding ammo.'

It is time to get worried when local LEOs can't find rounds for their time on the range.  I want my locals to be better shots that NYC's finest for so many reasons.  I have kept an eye out for ammo as my cousin has asked for my help with his supply and lack thereof.  I do reload so I just need to keep my ammo needs modest to get by in difficult times.  22LR goes a long way to staying tuned even through Winter.

I see no end in sight for the current silliness, so I have started to look into casting bullets for dry times such as these.  As one of my Summer projects is a rocket stove for canning, I will ensure that RS will support melting lead as well.  This is part and parcel of reliant, sustainable, frugal, and more importantly prudent living.

Of course, our local Police forces should submit grant requests to DHS for their share of 5.56, 7.62, and 40S&W.  IMHO...

Cheers!

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Backfire + market saturation

Pretty soon a lot of these guys who were hedging on a ban are going to be backpeddling and selling off against a tide of other people doing the same thing.

The supply will be back up (probably in spades) as the panic buying dies off and •some• of that over production goes to market. Im sure it'll be incremental, to allow the greatest profit extraction, but no doubt, there will be ammo again pretty soon as long as no other major bills arise.

Casting and reloading should be the net "lesson learned" here.
Waiting on JIT supplies = losing proposition. It also killed to death two other notions:
1. Having common calibers means there will be more supply, and;
2. Sharing calibers with the police will help you.

In an apocalypse, maybe. Now, or in nearly any other national emergency?
Doesn't quite shape up that way.

Oh yeah, and don't shoot unjacketed lead through your Glock or H&K.
Cheers,
Aaron

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Re: Backfire and Market Saturation

Good points A.M.

I can't wait for the supply to bounce back.  However; manufacturers are dramatically backlogged from six months to 12 months at 100% capacity.  Many gun manufacturers have brought on additional staff in order to increase production (Sturm Ruger, Colt, S&W, etc) of firearms.  I am sure that all supporting manufacturers as well as smaller arms company have done the same.

Family and friends rely heavily on 22LR, 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, and 45 ACP.  I do like the convienence of JHP in WallyWorld and sporting goods retailers.  Luckily TV sucks most nights so I can spend time after watching the news reloading to keep supply up.  Practising without ammo is also a good way in Winter to hone my meager skills...  ;-)

Cheers!

GM_Man

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
would this help?

X Caliber is the most versatile Gauge Adapter system in the world. It allows you to shoot 11 different caliber rounds from one shooting platform: a single-shot 12 gauge shotgun. Each X Caliber adapter is made from 7 inches of 4140 chromoly steel. Each adapter is also rifled to increase accuracy. 

The calibers of ammunition that the X Caliber can fire include: .22LR / 38 special / .357 / 9mm / 45 acp / 45LC / .410 shotgun / 12 ga. shotgun /.223 / 7.62x39 / 308.

Poet's picture
Poet
Okay For Game...

It is of SOME help. It fits a single-shot shotgun platform. Okay for hunting game if you can get a good clear shot. For defense or regular hunting, I'd rather have a multi-shot shot gun or a semi-automatic pistol or rifle.

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater wrote:

X Caliber is the most versatile Gauge Adapter system in the world. It allows you to shoot 11 different caliber rounds from one shooting platform: a single-shot 12 gauge shotgun. Each X Caliber adapter is made from 7 inches of 4140 chromoly steel. Each adapter is also rifled to increase accuracy. 

The calibers of ammunition that the X Caliber can fire include: .22LR / 38 special / .357 / 9mm / 45 acp / 45LC / .410 shotgun / 12 ga. shotgun /.223 / 7.62x39 / 308.

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
X-Factor Comment

I have a breech load 12 gauge.  I must say I was tempted, but we are looking at converting my 12 gauge shottie to any one of ten different calibers.  At this point in time, I can't understand why I would want to spend that much money on this product.  Right now, the only ammo that appears readily available everywhere I look is shotgun rounds (bird shot and slugs), and pellets for airguns  BBs and .177 pellets are the most common followed by my personal favorite .22 pellets.  As long as 12 gauge is readily available I am happy.  I may pick some shotgun ammo up this month, but not much.  A box or two should do.

BTW - I tried looking around on the web for .22LR ammo and couldn't find any.  Even Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops do not have any for sale.  In most cases the ammo isn't listed.  if the ammo is listed it is out of stock.  If it is out of stock, the web sites don't allow back orders.  I know of a Boy Scout Troop that has no ammo available and a sportsman club in NH that had to cancel their training because they have not ammunition.

Whoever is hoarding this ammo, they need to stop.  We are now hurting ourselves.  And that ain't funny.

In my humble opinion of course.

Cheers!

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
painful truth

GM_Man,
"Whoever is hoarding this ammo, they need to stop. We are now hurting ourselves. And that ain't funny."

I don't think you could be more right.
If you've got a few hundred rounds, and you're not shooting it, stop buying.
Last week, I went to 5 shops in the northwest from Vancouver to Tacoma and only one ship had ammunition for "common" calibers, and they were ~25% more costly than they had any business charging. Maybe more.

Im using this time to train with shotguns. Let the manic buyers hoard... Ill polish a different set of skills.
Oh, and 7.62x39 has been available at most shops.

Cheers,
Aaron

Ps, sorry for misidentifying you at first, almost all of my internet is via smartphone lately. Forgive me my typos and such haha

Doug's picture
Doug
.22LR

Supply seems to be loosening up locally.  I can find a brick here, a half brick there.

phecksel's picture
phecksel
Gun Shows

People are staking out (stalking) stores, buying it as soon as it comes in, and then selling it for rediculous prices at gun shows.  I've heard about a couple of people selling it for, and actually getting over $200 for a brick of .22LR.  That is capitalism at it's finest.  Market will auto correct itself.

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Electronic Ammo Still Available and Inexpensive

Major practice sessions can be conducted at home for only a few cents per hundred rounds fired.  Provided the bullet is a flash of green laser light.

I purchased a laser training pistol from NextLevel called a SIRT.  It is plastic, has the same shape and weight as a Glock 17 and “shoots” a flash of green laser light giving immediate feedback on the accuracy of the “shot.”.   The SIRT cannot shoot actual bullets, so I’m unlikely to accidentally shoot a hole in my living room wall or shock the neighbors.

1.  We have a bird feeder outside our window.  I shoot a flash of green light at the birds while seated at my desk.  This uses very precise aiming with the sights.  The blackbirds and blue jays are fairly easy to hit, but the finches--they are really tough.

2.  Most evenings, my wife throws a tennis ball for our dog to fetch in the back yard.  I stand off to the side a bit and “shoot” the running dog as she dashes back and forth across the lawn.  Hundreds of shots later, I can track and hit the running dog fairly well.  And she doesn't mind.  My wife humors me.

3.  In the living room at night, I turn off all of the lights and “shoot” the lamp shades (which are about human size) and barely visible in near total darkness.  The gun sights are not visible at all in this setting and aim is by instinct and body awareness only.  (A major conclusion from this exercise is that EVERY gun MUST have night sights.)  With time and lots of repetition, I can place the shot fairly consistently and shift between targets rapidly.  The kinesthetic "body memory" sense can be trained.

I do understand that this type of practice does not capture all elements of a real gunfight.  But is seems to have a lot to offer in building confidence, familiarity and muscle memory.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
SIRT

I •really• like these as a training aid. As soon as they make a G19 model, I'll pick one up.
That's a pretty good early to practice, sand_puppy, I think you're onto something.

Aaron

Travlin's picture
Travlin
The big score

Did you hear about the guy who scored several cases of ammo? He had to stop to get gas, and an attractive young woman saw the ammo in the back of his pickup.  She ambled over and asked him if he was interested in trading ammo for sex. He said, "What kind of ammo do you have?"

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Re: The big score

LOL!   Brilliant!  Superb!  Two Thumbs Up!

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Recent Ammo Purchase

I did pickup three boxes at Walmart this past weekend: 2 boxes of 20 rnds of 7.62x39 and 1 box of 10 rnds of .223.  Both Tula.  No 22LR available.

I have a local store with ammo that I am going to visit tomorrow.  I saw ammo on their shelves, but I was running at the time.

Net result is that there is ammo out there and the supply is growing; however the growth is very, very slow.

22LR continues to be MIA.  I have heard a lot of manufacturing has been outsourced.  Expect to see updated firearm labelling in an Indian accent in the near future.

Cheers!

Doug's picture
Doug
gun show

I went to a gun show yesterday where CCI .22LR was available for about $120/brick.  they didn't appear to be selling any.  I didn't see any .223.

Parzinski's picture
Parzinski
Gander Mountain.....there was plenty this weekend

GM in Mooresville NC had a re-grand opening (re did gun department) this weekend.

They had tons of ammo.  All calibers.

Bulk boxes were limited to 2 per day, with a 10 box total limit.

The bulk boxes were mostly Magtech.  I applaud Gander for not gouging prices.  450 rounds of 9m went for $139.  All prices were in the "pre-hoarding days" range.

9, 223, 22 were the first to sell out.  As of Monday, there were still plenty of bulk boxes of 38, 40 & 45s.

Customers were lined up 200 deep an hour before the store opened Fri, Sat and Sun.

The fact that they had so much supply and there still plenty left after the weekend is a good sign.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments