First step: purchase a bear proof composting drum.

Garyhotice
By Garyhotice on Thu, Mar 14, 2013 - 9:45pm

Ok I'm now going shopping for a bear proof composting drum. 2nd hand hopfully nothing fancy otherwise I will make one. Try on Craigs list. See how long it takes.

1 Comment

Cherihuka's picture
Cherihuka
bear proof costs

Something to think about here...as we also live in bear country though I expect they are not as prolific in the Durango area as in Pagosa. I am trying to imagine the cost of something that's really bear proof. I've heard that the only thing really bear proof is a train car, lol. 

If you do manage to find/make your own compost container, if metal, would it be likely to rust over time? If a bear did get into it, what would the real harm be? (I'm thinking they spread it around and nab a few eggshells or banana peels). 

There seems to be a pro and con to weigh with everything, lol!

I think strategically placed 6' strong/chain link fencing with an optional electic current attached would be another idea, and/or a couple of very large dogs, because the cost of making everything really bear proof could get prohibitive fast.

I think it would be ideal to create a dog run around the entire perimeter of your main garden/animal/compost areas, like a 'chicken moat', that blocks bears and alerts you to them, while protecting your assets and dogs, but it's likely cost-prohibitive if not built yourself (using a lot of free pallets, some cement and fencing material). The main concern I have is if the compost is bear proof but still attracts the bears - and there is the chicken coop...which isn't a train car, then what is the point of the effort on the compost bin (not saying  you have/will have chickens), just an argument for pro vs con of the idea.

If you think about all the things you may be raising or keeping: bees, chickens, trash, compost, a BBQ gill, a smoker or smoke house, animal feed bins/cans, a garden or dome or greenhouse... everything attracts bears, and how many of those things can be protected or made really bear proof... I don't think there's a way to do it, sans a train car, especially the more you expand what you're doing.

Somehow the early homesteaders and farmers managed without the metal containers or expensive and complex electic wire setups, or overly secure things like that, though I am sure they also had ammo sufficient to deter or protect. I'm not sure what local laws are, but maybe the local wildlife management dept would help with a problem animal, or can offer alternative deterrent suggestions. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments