Where do you go locally to get things repaired?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 - 8:28am

What are your personal resources for fixing and repairing things that you can't handle on your own?

We are lucky in my town to have an active Time Trade group, and I've been able to get some repairs done through Time Trade members...a beloved moth-eaten afghan, wobbly dining room chairs, a broken couch leg, a dresser drawer, that sort of thing.

We have a local fine furniture craftsman who is more than happy to do basic repairs when work is slow.  I've had him repair a drawer, four wobbly wooden bar stools, and a coat rack that snapped.  I also had him "make disappear" some lovely Sharpie drawings from my desk that my daughter gleefully added when she was a toddler.  He fixed our broken coffee table as well.  (He gave me options -- the one-year fix, the 20-year fix, or the lifetime fix.  I could only afford the 20-year fix, but with care I'm hoping it will last.)

My dad is also very mechanically handy, and though he lives two hours away, he has taken on some smallish repair jobs for me -- a rototiller, for example.

I wish there were someone in town who routinely handled small electric repairs.

Where do you turn when you need something fixed that you can't manage yourself?

1 Comment

Rob P's picture
Rob P
Hi amanda

I just made a related post over at the featured discussion.  bob

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments