We're going bananas

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 - 8:46pm

We're getting a dwarf banana tree! And it all started when someone crashed into our car.

When I lived in NY I never considered a banana tree, but knew people with Florida Rooms that grew them in that greenhouse-like environment. When I moved to SC, I noticed small banana trees--with fruit!--in a lot of yards, out-of-doors, a variety that died back in the winter and resprouted in the spring. I asked around: as long as you put them in a wind-sheltered location where it gets as much sun as possible, certain types of dwarf bananas love it here. And we had the good fortune to be invovled in an automobile accident with a neighbor who has too many. They paid for the small damages to our car, and offered us some banana trees!

We are going to try one in the yard and one in a five-gallon container. I understand that these will need lots of compost and potassium-rich feeding about 3 feet from the base, in a ring.

Has anyone raised bananas? Because we're about to give it a go.

3 Comments

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
a good how-to on growing bananas

Here is a good how to on growing bananas I found http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Banana-Plants

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
Very cool. I've often

Very cool. I've often wondered about growing tropical fruit in a green-house-like environment.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
They look beautiful, Wendy!

They look beautiful, Wendy!  I have planting-zone envy!:)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments