Snoqualmie Valley, anyone?

Locavorous
By Locavorous on Tue, Mar 5, 2013 - 7:31pm

I'm wondering if the WWA group ever meets up, or if even a few like to get together to do 'stuff'.

Here's a thing: this weekend, March 9-10, at the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe, is the Mountain Man craft faire (or whatever), and is a great place to find early 19th century items like leather, tomahawks, muzzleloading rifles (I think), etc.

What I really wanted to say is that I am building a small farm on the Snoqualmie, between Duvall and Carnation. I need 'work share' folks. People who want to get dirty weeding, tilling, planting, harvesting etc. and in return you get a box of whatever's being harvested that month.

Drop me a line if you can, or let's get a thread going.

DVC

18 Comments

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Great idea

Locavorous,

I hope this comes together. I spent almost 15 years in Fall City which in my recollection is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I haven't been back because its grown up so much, but this is certainly one of the most beautiful and fertile areas left in W.WA.
Good luck!

Aaron

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Touching bases

Hi Locavorous,

Any interest in a meet up?  I'm out of the eastside (Kirkland), and would really like to get to know some of the PPer's here in WWa.  Maybe a Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast at Pete's Grill & Pub in Tolt would work.  Thoughts?

Ken (Time2Help)

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
Sure, I'm game. Know any others?

Ken,

Thanks for reaching out. A breakfast meeting in Carnation sounds fine. Know anyone else, or is it just us?

Any ideas for agenda, or what we'd like to accomplish?

Feel free to email or PM me through this system.

Doug

dickd's picture
dickd
Local meet-up

I need to comment, for a change.

I've been a PP member and read the "Daily" daily.  Couple years ago I tried a meet-up with another PP member who, it turned out lived within a few miles.  We met in Olympia and decided to meet again at my house (we live in Lewis County east of Chehalis).  I invited an interested neighbor/friend and we had a couple meetings.  Then my neighbor and my wife and I decided it would be best to start our "community" very local ie. members must live within a mile of us. 

This has exceeded my expectations.  I was really surprised that so many people are interested in preparations.  We now have 6 couples and may add one more couple.  We rotate our meetings to each other's homes to get to know our neighbors better and to  see how each lives.  Each person has a different reason and concept of how a collapse might occur but we all agree on being prepared.  Each can contribute something.  I requested that everyone should read CM's Crash Course but not sure if they have yet.

The meetings usually have an Agenda.  This week we have a local MD who is a friend of one member, who will be giving us a 4 hour course on First Aid.  At our December meeting we just had a potluck and this summer we're planning a BBQ.  We established ground rules and we limit membership so that we can all get into a living room and so that the meeting can be controlled and stick to the Agenda.  Also we vote on who we want to join and someone has to know that couple first.  Most of us are retired but very active, especially with gardening.

I would like to attend one of your get-togethers in the future.  My nephew and my daughter both live in the Seattle area.  It would be great if you had it near a small airport (Snohomish?) so that I could fly up.

let me know if I can be of any help...

dickd

email:  [email protected]

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Breakfast
Locavorous wrote:

Ken,

Thanks for reaching out. A breakfast meeting in Carnation sounds fine. Know anyone else, or is it just us?

Any ideas for agenda, or what we'd like to accomplish?

Feel free to email or PM me through this system.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I'll PM you to setup a time here in the next few weeks.  If anyone else would like to drop in, that would be fine by me (if any of you other PP'ers are interested, feel free to chime in and I'll cc you on the date/time).  No set goals at this end, just more of a meet and greet with local like-minded folks was the plan.  For some odd reason, I'm not a big fan of the word "agenda" anymore wink.

My 2 cents, thanks!

Ken

RoseHip's picture
RoseHip
Many intested in Farming

I see a PP crowd trending to the small agriculture business model. And I think that is fantastic.

I also send my support for these types of interactions from Idaho!

Interesting interactions I'm sure. Localize it!

Rose

Bellinghamster's picture
Bellinghamster
Duvall-carnation

Hello guys,

i have recently purchased acreage in Duvall and plan on building a Blueberry farm. I have been working day and night to get this dream to fruition and would live to meet up with others of like mind. I have changed my entire outlook in the last two years. What a ride. Anyhow meeting up with people from here sounds great. 

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Snohomish
dickd wrote:

I would like to attend one of your get-togethers in the future.  My nephew and my daughter both live in the Seattle area.  It would be great if you had it near a small airport (Snohomish?) so that I could fly up.

let me know if I can be of any help...

dickd

Hi Dick,

We'll look to set up a get together (bar-b-que or picnic) at Cady Park, or somewhere near there, in Snohomish here in the near future.  Will keep you posted.

Time2Help

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
Action, I love it!

Thanks for the vote from ID! And thanks DickD for your testament. I've had dreams for years about working together, but actually finding 'like minded folks' who are Doing and Willing To Share has been difficult. Even in Western WA, we're mostly in our own private Idaho.

T2H is making this happen, and I'm grateful. I can share org roles & activities as the local group coalesces.

BHamster, I live in Duvall, can help, and have a like-minded friend with a rental in B'Ham. Perhaps another connection...

DVC

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
For the record, this

For the record, this conversation died on the vine. My  posts and PMs remain unanswered. Sure, we're busy, but ignoring is suspicious.

I think it appropriate to ask for bona fides to a degree before letting folks get too close. If someone doesn't provide at least an outline about what their goals are with meeting up, and providing some credibility check, I'll remain slightly suspicious of 'hey let's get together'.

For me, chatting can be a waste of time when I have an enormous list of To Do's and not enough hands or time to get 'em all done 'before winter'.

Because, Winter is Coming.

RoseHip's picture
RoseHip
Doing and non-doing

Locavorous I offer you these 2 chapters for solidarity and clarity. As I hear the theme behind your post or as least I think I do. And now that I have taken a moment to reflect and pause, really maybe its me that is in need of re-reading these 2 chapters. 

Best of luck!

Rose

http://charleseisenstein.net/books/the-more-beautiful-world-our-hearts-k...

http://charleseisenstein.net/books/the-more-beautiful-world-our-hearts-k...

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Locavorous

Fair enough.

I'll be frank I was kind of put off by the "no time to chat, time to DO SOMETHING right now" approach.   

Between working full time, attending to a family (including a young son) and running a "gentleman's farm" - plus all of the other activities necessary to prepare for what's coming, I've been busier over the past 5 years than I've ever been in my life.  I have my community of friends and family.  I just thought a nice breakfast in Tolt/Carnation would be a good way to meet up with someone new from PP, that's all.

I'll set up a meet at St Edwards Park at some point here in the near future and you are welcome to attend when I do.  For the rest of the Seattle area group, by all means - don't wait around for me - get together on your own. 

Best of luck to you all,

T2H

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
I appreciate your input T2H.

I appreciate your input T2H. I figured you didn't like my bluntness, but please don't take it personally.

If you've started a gentlemen's farm, and you've ever had visitors trail you around when you're trying to fix irrigation, till/plant on the rare days we can, feed the livestock, fix the fence, etc. etc., then hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I'd love to get together, but I just don't have the time or inclination to sit around. Instead, I'm happy to chat as long as we've got tools in our hands and getting something done. That's all. Your place or mine.

Sounds like it won't work for you, and I figured that was the case. Not many ever respond to my 'you're welcome to come help' positively, and most say they're too busy to scratch their own butt. Of the ones who do visit, most don't return. They leave dirty and tired and a little more aware of the very hard work it takes to live like this.

So, no hard feelings, good luck on your own projects, and maybe we'll cross paths at a meet up someday and we can compare notes then.

DVC

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Redacted

Wrong post, ignore.

Bellinghamster's picture
Bellinghamster
Heads in the sand...

Locav... I'm up off Stossel creek way. I appreciate your bluntness on the meeting with idle hands. Seems like a big waste of time to me as well. Winter is coming all right and I've got a million things to do. I'm a tad suspicious as well with people that "just want to meet up' with no clear plan or idea on mind. Those two articles from rose bud had me cracking up. Lots of these people on PP are whipped dogs that don't want to believe the harshness of winter. Anyway I'd really like to meet a fellow Duvallian and see/share what we both intend to accomplish in the near future. I've got a bunch of acreage and I think we can have some good trade in the future. I think most of these Nancy's on this site can't come to terms that we are all doomed or at least they won't.... Sorry if my typing, grammar are off I typed this from my phone. 

Reply and I'll give you my phone number. A real meet and a hand shake  is the only way to really make a connection.. 

thanks for your time, 

Roan

Bellinghamster's picture
Bellinghamster
just to be clear...

Rose...I meant no disrespect about the Charles E. chapters. I love his work. "I" just feel its a tad late. If we apply the exponential function to most of these problems we face we see that the plane is acutely in a flat spin with smoke flowing from the tail. I mean crap we cant even discuss the "SRM" that are being sprayed over your heads on an almost daily basis because its .... too out there?? This "cracks me up" because it is clearly happening, is clearly documented, and can be measured in rain fall and soil accumulation. Anyway this site is supposed to include "The Environment" and to date i have yet to see a conversation about it. This is the kind of "push it aside" and lets chat about little things we can do, that gets to me. We are at a time of action. I have changed everything from living in a 5000 sqft house, a good carrier, and easy city living into something much harder, yet a lot more fulfilling. I guess without talk it is hard to have connected action so i applaud that. But ... Talk is cheap. That's all I meant. I applaud everyone who has taken the time to join and contribute to this site. 

Cheers, Roan 

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Standing offer
Bellinghamster wrote:

A real meet and a hand shake is the only way to really make a connection. 

Oddly enough, that was my thought as well. 

Standing offer - I'd be glad to meet up with either of you for lunch or dinner sometime, and the meal is on me. 

I am not, however, going to just show up and stack your wood or plant your carrots.  I have enough of that crap to do on my own, thanks.

T2H

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
All good

'Hamster, I'll figure something out in the next few weeks and hit you up.  I was a sailor (not Navy) for years and I tell ya, your language is refreshing and reminds me of the days when 'all our assets and all our liabilities' were whatever we had between us and the deep blue sea, and we called it like we saw it and we took immediate action when we needed to to stay alive. Those ship-shape habits stuck with me I guess, and my appreciation for blunt honesty. I think we'll get along :)

Maybe I'll not call my PP friends whipped dogs or Nancys, but that did crack me up.

T2H, man, free grub really does get my attention. You really know how to close a deal! In about a month and a half, when we're bemoaning the loss of light and warmth and dryness, I'll have time to sit down with you and any others. If you haven't tried the burger, either the Duvall Grill or the Grange has an amazing one. The Grill has better beer and service. I do have a bunch of wood to stack, but you missed my point. Many of our strenuous activities we engage in as we reinvent sustainable living need more than two strong hands. I have two small daughters and a disinterested wife. I know I'm not alone in the prepper world with that configuration, so when a manly man wants to help do manly man stuff, we get right the fuck to work.

Meanwhile, I'm fixing fence, building outbuildings for tools and bee stuff and firewood, harvesting 1500' of dry beans, weeding the 400' of winter squash, prepping for 1/4 acre of garlic, cover cropping everything else, putting up seeds and berries as fast as I can, worrying that I should've done poultry this year, hoping I get a 1/2 a beef instead of just a 1/4, prepping for muzzleloader deer & elk season, and keeping a career & family going in these 'interesting times'. Once our season changes, I'm hunkered down in my sewing shop as my third job making canvas items for mountain men and steampunks.

Friends, let's remain friendly. I guess I feel like the black sheep of our circle of friends and family when it comes to acting like ants not grasshoppers, so when a potentially like minded person wants to get together I'm for it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments