Armored Vehicles on U.S. Streets

thebrewer
By thebrewer on Mon, Mar 4, 2013 - 10:13pm

Is it just me or is this becoming a little frightening? First DHS buys 1.6 billion rounds of hollow point ammo, now they've purchased 2,717 armored vehicles to patrol U.S. streets under the pretense that it's in case of search and rescue needs. So what are the gun ports and the armor for? Combine this with the new and pending gun regulations and clearly the government is preparing for some civil unrest.

http://www.teaparty.org/why-would-dhs-buy-obama-street-tanks-21030/

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Civil Liberties Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community discusses changes being made to our personal freedoms  - as doing so will help us understand what is happening, and how we want to deal with them. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

16 Comments

Lnorris's picture
Lnorris
First Hand Observation

Two weekends ago, I was driving home from errands with my family.  My mouth dropped in utter shock as two, black UPS sized vehicles emblazoned with Emergency Response Team (one from my town and the second from an adjacent town) drove past us.  What was more surprising, disturbing and unsettling was to see the occupants dressed in black gear including caps and glasses.  There was a mass and size to the two trucks that made me think they might be armored.  The scene had a look and feel of a team coming back from joint operations in the field.  Needless to say it left a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Thanks for your thread

Thebrewer

Thanks for starting this thread.  It’s a real eye-opener.  I’m reposting your video in active mode so no one misses it.  It’s amazing

Travlin

AKGrannyWGrit's picture
AKGrannyWGrit
Armoured Vehicles

I will be really glad these guys are around.... When we are invaded by aliens. Or, the zombie apocalypse or some country that is so foolish to actually invade us. It's hard to believe that these vehicles and people and all this fancy, high tech equipment is meant to be used on "We The People". Mr. & Mrs. Middle America, when did we become the enemy?

Ak Granny

Denny Johnson's picture
Denny Johnson
Oh boy,

And I just signed my 1040 today.

I think it is going to take me a while to forget this video whenever I hear a comment about 'paying your fair share of taxes'.

Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I heard that once common expression.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
even here

on lil' ol' Kauai.  Last week we had 3 DHS/ICE Humvees, a support truck, and a very black, very high-tech-looking comms van on island for "exercises" with the local heat.  I met some of the guys.  Seemed nice enough....today.  Aloha, Steve

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
wow

Sleepy, remote, lightly-populated, undeveloped Kauai is one of the last places in the US I'd expect to need heavy machinery for DHS purposes.

What are they worried about? Someone serving shave ice without ice cream? Sneaking horsemeat into a loco moco?

thebrewer's picture
thebrewer
My favorite part

I can't decide which part of the video is my favorite. Is it the side skids for quick deployment into a home on American soil or the the fact he thought we might be concerned about hearing damage sustained by the officers while firing at the homes on American soil from inside the armored vehicle.

If you do the math that's 2,717 armored vehicles with ten men in each. That's 27,170 men who are in danger of damaging their hearing! Unacceptable...where is OSHA when you need them!

Doug's picture
Doug
military transports

It was common in my younger days to see long caravans of military vehicles, men and weapons moving (I always assumed from having an Army dad) to and from field exercises.  The creepy part of this video is that they are police.  The increasing militarism of police is frightening, particularly since they are apparently under the command of DHS.  Where is the National Guard in all of this?

Doug

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Great question...
Doug wrote:

It was common in my younger days to see long caravans of military vehicles, men and weapons moving (I always assumed from having an Army dad) to and from field exercises.  The creepy part of this video is that they are police.  The increasing militarism of police is frightening, particularly since they are apparently under the command of DHS.  Where is the National Guard in all of this?

Doug

Doug, 

That's a great question. The answer? 
Shifting focus drastically to align themselves with the homeland response mission. The national guard is integrating itself with FEMA, DHS, FBI, local LE and other emergency response agencies (Fire/EMS) as a part of a joint force.

They are preparing for large-scale, complex emergencies that require "Law Enforcement", decontamination, civil engineering, medical triage and resources and environmental assesments for these incidences. 

FEMA is the "parent" organization, with the ICS structure as their leadership template:
http://www.fema.gov/incident-command-system

Cheers,

Aaron

mememonkey's picture
mememonkey
Story debunked

While,  DHS does have armored transports like in the video,  this particular story has been debunked, it looks like the actual 2717 armored vehicle contract by Navistar is for the Marines, by way of the Navy. .  though I am sure Santa will have some for DHS under the tree  by next xmass.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/page/294634_Factchecking-_Obama_DHS_Purcha

mememonkey

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
which war?

So, in which future war are we gonna use these $323K super jeeps?  Iran, I'd guess.  Or Indiana, or Iowa, or Kauai.....?

Navistar Defense President Archie Massicotte said in a statement. “Our rolling chassis solution allows us to leverage our unique vehicle design and replace an older chassis with a new, highly mobile independent suspension chassis.”

Guy doesn't even know his own product.  All the photos I saw showed a vehicle with a solid rear axle.  Sorry, that isn't usually considered "independent suspension".  Pentagon procurers probably won't know the difference.  And it's only about a Billion $ anyway, so....Aloha, Steve. 

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
shave ice for breakfast,

Loco Moco for desert!  Hey Adam, where'd you get that picture of me on the Hanalei beach?  But don't be fooled- Kauai is a hotbed of Corporate Sedition:

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Humour

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Rand Paul's filibuster

Everyone around me, some very well informed people, are afraid to realize the implications of drone attacks on US citizens within the US. I think this is a sort of armored vehicle issue but perhaps is being discussed elsewhere. However, since I don't see it I am bringing it up.  Sad situation. 

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=614

He ended after 13 hours. Senator Ted Cruz made some very eloquent statements about enforcing the constitution.

Niemöller

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

-- by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First they came....

ao's picture
ao
mememonkey wrote: While,  DHS
mememonkey wrote:

While,  DHS does have armored transports like in the video,  this particular story has been debunked, it looks like the actual 2717 armored vehicle contract by Navistar is for the Marines, by way of the Navy. .  though I am sure Santa will have some for DHS under the tree  by next xmass.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/page/294634_Factchecking-_Obama_DHS_Purcha

mememonkey

From the promotion of the vehicle as a police/"rescue" DHS vehicle, if I had to guess, I'd guess the debunking is actually disinformational damage control.

TreeGap's picture
TreeGap
A Crossroads.

I watched Sen. Paul last night.  What a crossroads.  So, very sad he was not resoundly joined by all Senators.

Was happy to see that the ACLU strongly supported Sen. Rand

On Wednesday afternoon, Christopher Anders, Senior Legislative Council at the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington D.C., spoke with Breitbart News exclusively about Senator Rand Paul’s filibuster of the John Brennan nomination to CIA director over the administration’s failures to answer questions about domestic use of drones. Anders backed Paul to the hilt, and was highly critical of the Obama administration.

“It’s certainly a courageous and historic effort by Senator Rand Paul and his colleagues, who are now increasing in numbers and coming to the fore in support of his filibuster,” said Anders. “The information Senator Paul is looking for goes to the very core of what the US is and who Americans are as a people.” Anders pointed out that the information Paul seeks is easy for the administration to hand over – it “ought to be a no-brainer,” he said. “It ought to be upsetting for everyone, all Americans of both parties, to not be able to get a straight answer to what is a very straightforward question from Senator Paul.”

Anders went on to explain that the Department of Justice could post the legal memos in question on the internet within an hour, or Xerox them and send them to the floor of the Senate. “The American people have a right to know,” said Anders. “Senator Paul is right to push for that information and I think he’s doing a very good job of exercising his constitutional duty as a member of Congress in our system of checks and balances to help serve as a check on the executive branch, on the president.”

Anders called the administration’s stonewalling “inexcusable.” The standards apparently applied by the administration, he continued, “are not standards recognized by any court in the land, any court anywhere in the world.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/06/Exclusive-ACLU-backs-...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments