If you live within 250 miles of zip 64628, what resilient/sustainable actions have you taken to improve your part of the world?

NorthCentral_Missouri
By NorthCentral_Missouri on Sat, Mar 2, 2013 - 2:01pm

What post-peak skills do you have are are you developing?
Do you live without flush toilets at home?
What food do you raise at home?
What have you repaired yourself this past year?
How do you live without public water supply?
How will you get along when the power goes out for several days?
How will you get along when you get snowed in for several days? 
What else might you do to improve the ability of your neighborhood (15 mile radius)
to meet more of it's needs locally [food, energy, manufacturing, clothing, repair, etc...]
How close are you to being debt-free?

What would you like to see to benefit your community?

Just one perspective but, among other things, I would like to see the following:
1) a Community Development Credit Union in my area
2) a county-wide local currency, not just per town
3) an Employee Benefit nonprofit association as a means for portable benefits protected from looting
4) a clearinghouse between local food producers and local [hospitals, schools, nursing homes, restaurants, grocery stores]
5) better training for manufacturing/industrial technology closer to my home

Please share your ideas and let us know what you might work to make happen.

5 Comments

S2man's picture
S2man
I guess I'll start

Though, I really don't like sharing this information on a public forum...

What post-peak skills do you have are are you developing? Raising food. Looking at building furniture.
Do you live without flush toilets at home? No.
What food do you raise at home? Vegetables, rabbits and chickens. Will be focusing on growing staples, this summer. Corn, squash, beans and potatoes.  Oh yeah, orchard is planted but still young.  Native fruits and nuts planted, also.
What have you repaired yourself this past year?  Oh my.  Cars, electrical, built portable chicken coop, started a greenhouse... I can't remember the last time I paid someone to do work for me, except for automotive, which I am getting too lazy to do (and no garage, now).
How do you live without public water supply? No.  But a cistern is high on my wish list.
How will you get along when the power goes out for several days?  Just did that, last month.  Used generator for fridge and freezer.  Also loaned it to the neighbor to keep his fridge cold and to pump his sewage UPHILL to his lagoon.  Sheesh.  Loaned another neighbor propane tanks and a space heater.  We heat with wood and cook with propane.  Just an inconvenience when the power goes out.
How will you get along when you get snowed in for several days?   Just did that, last month. No problem.  Just stayed home until it melted.  Have 4x4 w/posi if we HAVE to get out.
What else might you do to improve the ability of your neighborhood (15 mile radius)
to meet more of it's needs locally [food, energy, manufacturing, clothing, repair, etc...] I'm not really involved on that level.  Though, I support the farmers market in the nearby town..
How close are you to being debt-free?  Just the mortgage remaining.

What would you like to see to benefit your community?  I too would like to see a good path for local food production and distribution.

I would like to add a solar-electric system.  But medical bills prevented that, along with finishing the greenhouse, last year.

How about you?

NorthCentral_Missouri's picture
NorthCentral_Mi...
long-term projects, some progress

Do you live without flush toilets at home? Yes

What food do you raise at home? tomatoes, butternut squash, spinach and greens. Starting out with red potatoes and sweet potatoes. Hoping to get going with flint corn and jerusalenm artichokes. Chickens.

How do you live without public water supply?
Pumping from private pond - filtering with zeolite then activated charcoal

How will you get along when the power goes out for several days?
Wood cookstove can heat house. Water an issue yet.

How will you get along when you get snowed in for several days?  
Have food and wood cookstove.

to meet more of it's needs locally [food, energy, manufacturing, clothing, repair, etc...]
Food - we need a farm to [hospital, school, nursing home, restaurant, grocerystore] clearinghouse yet.
Energy - more solar coming in, ethanol law is a burden. 
Trying to improve the manufacturing/repair skillbase and job-pool myself - we'll see what happens.
Clothing - if only the uniform folks would diversify. Shoe plant long gone.

How close are you to being debt-free?
Done thanks to hard-work, self-restraint, perseverance and much help.

S2man's picture
S2man
We will see how we like the

We will see how we like the flour corn.  If not, I'll switch to flint corn.  We have Jerusalem Artichokes, too. I planted asparagus, last year.  I planted currants and gooseberries next to the fruit trees because they like some shade.  None of them made it because the trees were just twigs.  LOL.  I'll try again when the trees get bigger.

Staples: Besides the flour corn, I've got seed for an heirloom sweet corn.  I'll have to stagger the plantings to keep them from cross pollenating.  I'll be doing three kinds of squash, different species which will not cross pollenate.  Same with beans, four or five species.  Potatoes have not done well for me at the new homestead.  I think it may be the tons of compost I put on the garden to kick-start it.  I will try potatoes in some freshly broken ground, this year.  Ordered mid season Yukon Gold and late season German Butterball. 

I have GOT to get my root cellar built, this year.  Saving seeds is good, but I need a way to store seed potatoes and free myself from the seed store dependance. Also it will give me a way to store root crops without processing them.  Currently was have to can, freeze or dehydrate them.

With no good way to store root crops, I planted the garlic, onions and leeks last fall.  They did fine, even though I forgot to mulch them.  With multiplier (potato) onions, top-setting (Egyptian walking) onions and top-setting leaks, I am free of the seed store on them and garlic. Yay.

Greenhouse got started last year, to support shade for the rabbits.  Oh yeah, we're raising rabbits.  It did not get finished because of the previously mentioned medical bills.  GH and cellar are my big projects for this summer.  Of course, there is a never ending list of small projects...

Later, S2

P.S.  Our story and some pics on the Backwoods Home Magazine forum:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=28741

susanattheville's picture
susanattheville
Noticed your group - anything going on?

We hail from the Steelville, MO area and just returned from Kripalu and a great Peak Prosperity seminar with Chris, Becca and Adam - as well as a great group of people from all over the country. I can't recommend the seminar highly enough.

Anyway, I have seen your post before, and hope that there is some activity beginning to develop around your intention to start a group. Not much seems to be happening in the "show me". C'est la vie...

Would love to get together to discuss the above questions, ideas, etc. Let's try to get something going, rather than just a "blog thread".

Awaiting your reply...

Jeff & Susan

NorthCentral_Missouri's picture
NorthCentral_Mi...
prioritize Bible living over other preps

We don't do meetups or seminars - hope it was beneficial for you, however.

We have clay soil, often wet, sometimes dry.
Helpers got in burr oak & black locust.
Looking at sugar maple and sea buckthorn next.

Garden refenced, poultry yard & goat pen just fenced (thanks team).
Busy reskilling.
Investing daily in small circle relationships.
Not making much progress improving the larger (still local) community at the moment.
Use of simple food storage maturing but not increasing in volume.

Flint corn and jerusalem artichokes didn't happen yet.

Red potatoes are a work in progress.

No root cellar at this time. Hoping to build slow sand filter.

Discovered how tasty wheat berries can be.

Still appreciating Goldbeck's "American Wholefoods Cuisine" cookbook.

Time to plant broccoli.

Much more important than any food or financial preps or weapons is everyone needs to align themselves with God's requirements as outlined in the Bible and striving to live that out.  All the rest is useless in comparison with that.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments