Community defense as police resources dwindle

thc0655
By thc0655 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 - 8:09pm

Here's a link to a shtfplan.com post which discusses how neighbors are banding together in East Oakland, CA to patrol their own neighborhood to deter crime.  Police resources in their city have been dwindling and police response to the citizens's problems has been underwhelming.  The neighbors have been watching as crime gets worse and worse.  The residents believe they have to choose between doing nothing (and watching crime get worse and worse) or going out together to walk their neighborhood's streets to deter crime.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/breakdown-of-law-and-order-we-cant-depend-on-the-police-department_02272013

Having been a civilian in a big eastern city who got involved in similar efforts to deter crime and now having spent 13 years on our local police force, I have a few comments and observations this community might find helpful.  If nothing else, our discussion here should be helpful to those of us who find ourselves in similar situations in which we are caught in a rising tide of crime and wondering what to do about it.

1.  I have observed that in nearly all cases, communities organize to deter crime AFTER the crime rate becomes "unbearable" to a critical mass of neighbors.  Communities that have low crime rates almost never patrol their turf to deter crime, though a lot of communities (often at the urging of police departments) have some meetings and throw up some "Crime Watch" signs on utility poles.  Very rarely will low crime communities go to court in large numbers to communicate to judges that the case before them that day is extremely important to them.  I guess this is just human nature.  Who wants to devote their valuable time to crime prevention if crime doesn't seem like an urgent problem RIGHT NOW?  So as much as you might like to organize neighborhood patrols to keep crime from getting to be a big problem in your low crime community, I doubt you will be successful in recruiting like-minded folks.  Probably, the best thing to do is to network with as many neighbors as possible and be ready to advocate for getting organized to deter crime when events cause your neighbors to become concerned and alarmed.

2.  Neighborhood patrols are actually quite effective in detering many types of crime, including: auto theft, theft from auto, burglary, robbery and vandalism (especially graffiti vandalism).  Furthermore, these patrols are usually much more effective than the police department's best efforts when not combined with neighborhood patrols.  My center city civilian urban patrol was so successful after about 15 months the crime rate fell so much everybody quit the patrol!  And this was after the police could not put a dent in the crime rate by themselves.  Of course, the crime rate slowly began to rise again after our patrols fell apart, but it has never gotten as bad as it was in 1989 - 90.  In fact, it has never gotten bad enough for the neighbors to reorganize and resume patrols (despite my advocacy for that several years later). Never underestimate how much of a deterrent effect neighborhood patrols can have!

3.  It is incredibly rare for members of neighborhood crime patrols to become the victims of crime themselves while on patrol.  It is MUCH more likely that the same community members will be victimized living in a community without the patrols than while on patrol.  (Of course, the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin incident in Florida is a glaring exception.)  And the effectiveness of patrols and the safety of being a civilian on patrol is in spite of the fact that nearly all neighbors on patrol are unarmed and don't look physically intimidating.

4.  That being said, I never went on patrol as a civilian without my 5 shot revolver and concealed carry permit.  Actually, I never went anywhere without them.  However, none of my partners knew I was armed and they certainly weren't.  While on patrol, I never had one single situation where I was concerned for my safety or thought that I might have to use my revolver.  On the other hand, there were many instances when I was in the neighborhood alone (not on patrol) and felt threatened and glad I was armed.  There was also one incident where I had to shoot a robber who tried to rob me point of gun.

I hope you're community's crime rate never gets so bad the neighbors feel compelled to organize their own patrols.  But if that's what happens, have confidence that you can have big effects on crime.

Tom

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Personal Safety & Home Defense Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community helps one another effectively address the issues of personal safety in and around the home. . Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

4 Comments

JRB's picture
JRB
All good info!

Thanks Tom.  It is good to have the benefit of your experience.

- Jim

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
The right to Self Defense

This video of our new "virtual" president clearly defines the issues on gun control and personal defense.

Worth a watch IMHO.

ao's picture
ao
Superb!

Superb!

Lnorris's picture
Lnorris
Preamble to Constitution

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Blessed and powerful words. Read them as many times as you need to, to let them sink in.

Our predecessors demonstrated an elegant understanding of the spoken and written word. I submit to you the above: PROVIDE for the common defense, PROMOTE the general welfare, and SECURE the blessings of LIBERTY...

How far we have come with the strong sense of entitlements many people feel are due to them today and in the future.

What are you and I as an individual and community willing to sacrifice today for the sake of our liberty? (5th grade history). What would you sacrifice for your mate, your child, your parents?

Our government is stockpiling billions of rounds of ammunition. They are militarizing our police. What line in the sand do you and I draw?

For my son, my spouse and my family, it is simple. Everything. My life is forfeit without them.

Sunday night musings after memorizing this with our son for extra credit on our walk home from nana and pops's house.

Lynne

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments