Cabbage woes

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 - 10:14am

I never tried growing cabbage until I moved here to the south. Other veggies will grow for me, no problem. Cabbages, however, are the bane of my existence.

My first year here I planted them too late in the sping, and the young cabbages fell to all sorts of bugs. They looked like green cutwork lace. That was resolved by planting them early enough next year so that they were established before the grasshoppers, etc, showed up. They were bug free. But they were small.

The first autumn cabbages were left in the ground too long and got very tough. And still, no heads.

I've tried six different kinds of seeds and various soil mixes and locations in the yard. I had the soil tested. I have worms and compost and non-chlorinated water.

2012 was yet another year of dissapointing cabbage growth. They barely formed heads. I Igot ONE BATCH of cole slaw out of a 4-ft square raised bed.

I've heard peat moss might help, and starting the seeds indoors. Help! I would love to know what I am doing wrong. Should I start the seed early indoors? Is there a magic wand I can wave? Should I sacrifice a squirrel under a full moon?

2 Comments

snow's picture
snow
Cabbage woes

Wish I could help, I had the same problem this winter I tried to grow brussel sprouts in my greenhouse two plants on opposite sides of the greenhouse one grew very tall with no heads forming just big leaves and smaller ones where the sprouts should be, the other plant shorter with tiny sprouts. Hmmm

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
growing cabbage in the south

I'm in south Alabama, Wendy.  Cabbage is a challenge down here as well.  Weather and bugs don't leave a lot of room for success.  I grow mine through the winter with agroban over hooped beds.  Bugs are much less of a problem and most cabbage will survive our winters without much more than agroban giving them some protection.  They don't get really large, probably because around here our winters are often cloudy more than sunny these days.  I stagger my plantings about a month apart and plant from September through early December.  That gives us cabbage all winter and into the spring.  Usually harvest the last about the time it gets too hot.  I do the same with broccoli though I do plant a last harvest of short season broccoli about now for the spring.  Works most years.  Sharon

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments