What are your favorite ways to use up storage vegetables?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 - 9:45am

It's that time of year, at least where I live...February and March are when locally grown veggies, especially green veggies, are just about impossible to find.  Perhaps you (like I) have a cool, dark space where you can store winter veggies -- squash, potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic -- and perhaps also apples and cabbages, rutabaga, turnips.  The freezer is still partially laden with last year's green beans, peas, corn, broccoli, and berries.  The canning shelves are still boasting a number -- perhaps a daunting number -- of jars of of canned tomatoes, applesauce, peaches, whatever it was you put up in last summer's canning frenzy.

And now it's time to use these things up before the spring veggies start to rise up and we abandon heavier winter fare for long-awaited salads and greens.  Ahhhh...Spring!  But first, what are your favorite ways to use up those winter veggies at the end of the storage season?  Recipes or a detailed narrative on how you make delectable meals out of these humble ingredients would be helpful to those of us who need a little hand-holding.  Share what your healthy table is presenting this time of year!

2 Comments

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Soups and stews

I find the best way to use up the last of the winter veg is to make a couple of batches of soup (butternut squash with bacon and sour cream) and to make a nice lamb shank stew.  Add some of the older veg (parsnips, carrots, Kale scraps, sweet potatoes, some mushrooms, herbs and red wine) and slow roast for a few hours. Perfection!

sdmptww's picture
sdmptww
Mixed bake

Like Jason, we also tend to make vegetables soups and stews during the winter but we also do a mixed vagetable bake, most often squash (winter and some summer from the freezer), onions, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, turnips (from the freezer), and any other root veggie.  Spread out on a cookie pan, season (we use sea salt, fresh pepper, garlic and sprigs of fresh rosemary), sprinkle with a little extra virgin olive oil and bake on 375-400 until done (but not too done, don't turn them to mush).  Turn them over at least once.  It cooks well in the oven and in a solar oven.  You can add a bit of meat and make it a one dish meal.

I had a friend come to visit a few years back who is a vegetarian and we made this for lunch and had some left over we put in the frig.  The next morning I found her eating it cold for breakfast.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments