TEDx talk by homeschooler Logan LaPlante

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Sun, Feb 17, 2013 - 12:01am

If you haven't seen this ten-minute video yet, I highly recommend it -- particularly if you have skepticism or second thoughts about homeschooling:  Hackschooling.  I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've seen it. 

My kids don't ski and (oddly enough)( I don't remember ever using the word "hack" with the kids as anything but a synonym for the word "chop" (well, okay, also when they asked me to explain what the movie Wargames was all about) but I share the philosophies that health and happiness should be the first priority in education and that creativity is essential in fulfilling that priority. Those of you here who have met my kids will surely agree that this kind of approach to education can have respectable results.

We have effectively unschooled all along.  One of my favorite books on the topic is Teach Your Own by John Holt.  People ask me if I use curriculum with the kids (and the local-minded folks even ask if I use Oak Meadow, which happens to have their headquarters within walking distance of my house.)  It always ties my tongue up for a minute -- how to explain to someone in a casual conversation what it's like to "homeschool" in a way that doesn't resemble school in any way, shape, or form.  (Okay, we do use pencils sometimes, and we have a wall-mounted sharpener, and my kids sometimes participate in activities we call "classes" for lack of an easier term, but this is not even an approximation of school -- it is a completely different mindset and approach to fostering personal growth and learning in all members of our family.)

What are your thoughts?

1 Comment

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Great support for us that we are doing the right thing

With our daughter turning 5 last year and entering the age for "formal" education, we conducted a lot of research on local schools and all our options.  We knew that standard public school was not the right fit for her and so we looked at multiple charter schools and what they had to offer.  Nothing fit our daughter's personality and learning style just right and so we decided to begin homeschooling.  We just couldn't image our 5 year going to a full time job 5 days a week.  She is only in kindergarten - I figure I will bring in her grandfather for the later discussions of theoretical plasma physics. 

We ended up choosing a Charter School that supports full time homeschooling and provides us with monetary resources (it is a public school) and a huge network of families and other resources.  So far it has been a wonderful choice and the unschooling approach at this age is wonderful.  We still have to jump through a few hoops to meet the public charter school requirements (documenting "lessons") but we have had the flexibility to guide Violet down the path she wants to go. 

The thing that is really crazy and affirms our choice in community is that Logan attended the same school that our daughter is attending and wants to go to the Foxwalker activities as well.  The two things she wants to learn in "school" are how to ride a horse and how to make fire (foxwalkers with a bow driller). Not until she is 7.  :(  Had to not let her see the WSID article on 9 ways to make fire without matches

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more people take a leap of faith that they can educate their children effectively and bring some much needed creativity and a love of life back to learning. 

Now who can tell me the 19th president of the US without Google?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments