So how did you fare in Blizzard Nemo? Any good community-building stories to share?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 - 1:28pm

My neighbors had an unexpected snow day on Friday (they are musicians, and their Fri and Sat city gigs were cancelled, so they stayed home).  They invited me and several other neighbors over for an impromptu dinner party.  It was so much fun.  We tromped there in unplowed snow and tromped back home against the stinging wind with the snow up to our knees. 

Sometimes it takes an unexpected jolt our of our routines to provide an opening for neighbors to connect, but I am so glad we did. 

Did anyone else have a similar experience during this recent storm?

2 Comments

Judy's picture
Judy
Good Samaritan

My house sits way down below the level of the road.  It took me four shoveling sessions yesterday of the path  to reach the edge of the semicircle driveway at the top. Reaching the road, though,  seemed quite beyond my 75 year old (next Wednesday)  shoveling capacity.  I imagined the worse, that my car would not be liberated until spring. A man in his truck went by, then backed up as he saw me shoveling with my little plastic shovel.  Two hours later he was back with his snow blower. The little driveway was cleared in two hours. I was moved to tears by his generosity and by my relief.  Now my son, Chris Martenson, will be able to come for my birthday dinner.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Happy birthday, Judy!

How wonderful that someone helped with your plowing.  I hope you have a lovely time with your family.

Judy wrote:

My house sits way down below the level of the road.  It took me four shoveling sessions yesterday of the path  to reach the edge of the semicircle driveway at the top. Reaching the road, though,  seemed quite beyond my 75 year old (next Wednesday)  shoveling capacity.  I imagined the worse, that my car would not be liberated until spring. A man in his truck went by, then backed up as he saw me shoveling with my little plastic shovel.  Two hours later he was back with his snow blower. The little driveway was cleared in two hours. I was moved to tears by his generosity and by my relief.  Now my son, Chris Martenson, will be able to come for my birthday dinner.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments