Homeschoolers: It's Monday. What does your "today" look like?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 - 9:42am

For some of us, Monday isn't all that different from any other day.  But every day has its own activities and priorities in my house. 

Today three of my kids and I will be going to our weekly are homeschool gathering, where my oldest will participate in classes in Geometry (a year-long course) and Marine Biology (a two-month course) and my youngest two will play organized games, make crafts, and have some free time with their friends. 

My second-oldest will be staying home and recuperating from a long and busy weekend, but he's got chores to do...bringing in a day or two's worth of wood, putting away clean dishes and washing a load of dirty ones, and tending the woodstove.  Most likely he'll spend the day reading and relaxing.  This afternoon he'll be spending two hours training with his circus troupe before he helps me make and serve dinner.

This evening my oldest will begin his first community college course, a wonderful class offered for "dual enrollment" high schoolers who are taking college classes concurrently with high school (in our case homeschooling).  The course is meant to bring them up to speed with how to succeed in community college -- writing skills, basic knowledge, study habits, time management, etc.  It will be an interesting test of how well he is prepared.  The course runs all semester.

All four of them will practice their musical instruments and do some physical self-care at home such as stretching; one practices ballet, one does yoga, etc.

I'll be with them at our homeschool group, working and doing housework, and also trying to squeeze in some time at the local gym for myself.

What does your "today" look like?

2 Comments

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
neat post

I'd like to read about other people's days. I don't have kids yet.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Today is Wednesday

My oldest two (teenage boys) sleep late each day, and I am comfortable with letting their own body's rhythms dictate this, though I usually draw the line at noon!  This morning my girls (8 and 10) made themselves breakfast, practiced music, spent their daily allowed 1/2 hour on the computer (email, writing stories, and Khan Academy math), and read (Far Side comics and chapter books from the library.)

When the boys wake up, they'll be expected to practice music and do some stretching or other exercise.  The girls do this, too -- my 10yo practices ballet for her physical activity.

The girls are now in the middle of a sewing project on the living room floor.  Just overheard from the 8yo, "This is what seamstresses do, but not as fun!"  "Why?"  "Because they don't have a sister!"

Each day, one of my kids is the chore helper.  They bring in wood for the woodstove, take care of the cat's needs, wash and dry dishes, do a load of laundry, tidy up the common areas and the bathrooms, and help prep, set, serve, and clean up from dinner (including the coveted job of lighting and later blowing out a candle on the table).  That day's helper is also "on call" for any other assistance I might need, including unloading things from the car, yard and garden work, etc. 

Later today, my youngest has an eye doctor's appointment, my 2nd oldest has two hours of circus training, and my 1st and 3rd kids have a weekly class in traditional music.  We live in town and walk to these things when possible.

My oldest has homework to do for the three academic classes he's taking, and the other three will do things that could more or less qualify as "reading, writing, math, art, science, and/or health."  Life is full of fabulously rich learning opportunities, and often I simply try to support by stepping out of the way.

We consider ourselves dyed-in-the-wool unschoolers, but by the equivalent age to "9th grade," I feel strongly about working on a plan that will result in them being able to support themselves by the age of 18 (not coincidentally, when child support ends in our state) and to be prepared with the fundamentals in case they choose and are able to go to college or technical school.  My oldest is this age, which is why he's doing more intentional academics.

And then there is me.  I had an appointment this morning, I'll be doing housework, coordinating the kids and where they need to be, encouraging and mentoring the chore-doer, answering about a zillion questions, doing my job here at Peak Prosperity, and hopefully fitting in time for exercise and my own music practice.  Never a dull moment here!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments