tornado damage, alabama

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Jan 31, 2013 - 7:45am

There were a series of tornados that hit the Deep South yesterday.  We had a tornado alert in our area (Columbia, SC). It had me asking myself a few quesions, which I will also ask you.

1. Do you have a place to go to if your property is destroyed?
  2. Do you know your neighbors, and have you built community so you could help each other in such a situation? Remember, tornadoes are freakishly selective about what they destroy. Everyone on one side of a street could be undamaged, anf the other side could be utterly destroyed.
  3. What if a tree hit yor house or there was wind damage to the roof? There is a photo essay in the linked article. I highly recommend you look at the pictures of damaged roof sections, and think about getting a tarp in case of such an emergency.
  4. What would you do if your power went out? In previous years, power has been out for up to two months as the entire electrial delivery system was blown down. (below is Hunsville, AL, after the 2011 storms.)

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Deep South Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community discusses facing the unique cultural and weather climates of the Deep South to build for a sustainable future. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

1 Comment

Don35's picture
Don35
Yup

I was there, in Huntsville. Scary day when waves of tornados came through one after another. No power for over a week. I had no preps as I do now, but the community came together and shared. If it had been during the hottest summer months it would have been terrible!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments