Let the Twinkie die?

jasonw
By jasonw on Wed, Jan 30, 2013 - 1:20pm

After seeing a large number of articles in the news headlines about Hostess nearing a deal to sell the Twinkie brand and other cakes to a private equity firm, I found myself asking the question, why are we trying to keep a product alive and on the shelves when we know it is unhealthy product and has almost no nutritional value?  Can't we just let it rest in peace?

Do people really think a Twinkie tastes good? 

Thoughts?

2 Comments

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
I haven't had a Twinkie since about 1988

I confess, I have had a few in my life -- not more than a few, though.  Even back then they seemed like NOT-food, and jokes flew frequently about how completely un-compostable they are.  (Has anyone ever successfully composted a Twinkie?  If so, I'd like to hear about it!)

Certainly we have much more pressing issues to turn our attention to.

Irksome's picture
Irksome
Keeping Twinkies alive

I think your first question is flawed (why are 'we' keeping Twinkies alive).  'We' aren't keeping Twinkies alive, the market is.  Obviously, the private equity firm(s) that want to purchase the brand believe that someone still wants to buy Twinkies.  While I personally have no interest in eating a Twinkie, I see no reason why my desire or my belief about whether I should eat one should constrain a company from making and selling them.  What right do 'we' collectively have to constrain them?  And if 'we' can or should, should 'we' also intervene in a variety of other ways (think about the current fervor over 'gun control')?  Slippery and dangerous slope, if not outright evil.

As far as your second question (do people think Twinkies taste good), I personally do not like them.  But as a kid, I thought Hostess Fruit Pies were about the best thing on the planet.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments