Your local Grange

FarmersWife
By FarmersWife on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 - 12:10pm

I think the Peak Prosperity members have a lot in common with the grange.  We had an awesome meeting at the Seed Bank, of the Petaluma Grange, last night (Mon, 7th).  I know the Sebastopol Grange (on Hwy 12) has many members of the Transition elk involved in their grange and the Willits area has a large presence in their grange.

Someone asked me, "Just WHAT is a grange?"  It's actually a place with historical roots to support the small farmer, to build community, share skills, and work toward common goals. 

Sonoma county granges recently led the push for GMO labeling, in California. The El Dorado County Grange sponsored the "cottage bill" that was recently passed by the state leg. & Gov Brown... to allow sales of farm and/or homemade products.  

I'd say it's the Hands-ON portion of PeakProsperity focus. It works within the system (pushing for legal reforms that are in the interest of the SMALL farmer/homesteader) and in education about best practices for sustainable farming.  The two dove-tail beautifully.  

Petaluma just re-actived their grange, a little more than a year ago (granges were founded starting in 1870).  Now that business of getting setup has been done... we are changing focus to education and legislative endeavors. I would encourage all Peak Prosperity member to become involved in their local grange.

The Seed Bank, in Petaluma, is hosting a speaker this Thursday (7pm) on the implementation of the cottage bill.

Grange meetings, held at The Seed Bank, are on the 4th Monday, 6:30-8pm.
Sebastopol Grange has their meetings on the 4th Tuesday, and starts with a potluck at 5:30, then the meeting. You can contact me for more info!
Amy

6 Comments

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
Petaluma Grange

Hi Amy,

Thanks for writing about this!  I live in Petaluma and had heard there was a grange here, but never found out about when/where they meet.  I was beginning to think it was one of those secret society things!  I will make note of this and try to make it next time.

Susan

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Sebastopol Grange

Hi Amy,

Thanks for raising this. I really want to encourage West County folks to check out one of the local Granges because there is a lot of good stuff happening.  The Sebastopol Grange is filled with a lot of Transition folks.  In fact Chris gave a talk there in September of 2012.  Jerry Allen, who came to the last Hopmonk gathering and has led Crash Course showings with me in Santa Rosa, was just elected Sebastopol Grange master for 2013.

Cheers,

Suzie

FarmersWife's picture
FarmersWife
Gathering of the Granges

OMG, Jerry is gonna be really, really busy.  He was also elected, at the State Grange Convention, Musician! He's a great guy.

We've been over to see Nicole Foss and Chris M. when they were talking at the Sebastopol Grange.  I was SO IMPRESSED that you guys were doing this.  Do you have the exact time that the monthly meetings take place? I wish our meetings weren't so "close" in time as I would love to attend both groups

On Wed, Jan 30 there is going to be a "Gathering of the Granges" at The Seed Bank in Petaluma, to network, socialize, and share what we are all doin, 5:30 to 7:30.  Everyone is asked to bring a dish to share.  Members and people who are interested in finding out what the "grange" is all about are invited. 

Hope to see you there!

Amy

The Farmer's Wife

FarmersWife's picture
FarmersWife
Petaluma Grange

Susan,

Not exactly a secret society, but I know what you mean.  

The orginial grange founded in the 1800's was in response to the monopoly of the railroads.  You had to be sponsored to become a member because they were worried about the "enemy" infiltrating and learning their plans. They actually had secret words, etc. to gain entry.

I'd say that our "enemy" so to speak, is Big Business, Corporate Farms, etc.  It's a group focused on supporting the small guy... and the right to farm, sustainably. 

What is your background and interests????

Amy

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
Petaluma Grange

Hi Amy (and all),

Thanks for describing a bit of the grange background.  Interesting that they did have secret words!

My background is that I work as an agricultural inspector for Marin County, which has allowed me to really learn a lot about sustainable agriculture.  I also took a class at SRJC in Sustainable Ag, where I learned even more.  Prior to that I really had no background or interest in farming or agriculture.  Got a degree in biology and really was more interested in wildlife biology and ecology.  I'm still very interested in ecology and how sustainable farming can fit into native ecosystems.  Also really interested in permaculture, but haven't had the $ and time to take a course in it yet.

I'm also a member of the Weston Price Foundation.

Susan

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Sebastopol Grange

Hi Amy,

Jerry just retired from his full time job, so he has more time than he did before.  I believe the Sebastopol Grange meetings are the last Tuesday of the month.  Potluck at 6pm.  Meeting at 7:30pm.

Cheers,

Suzie

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments