Farm Tour?

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Thu, Dec 20, 2012 - 3:31am

Farm Tour anyone?

Was thinking it would be great to take Ben (www.swallowvalleyfarm.com) and Amy up their generous offers to tour their farms.

Ben & Amy: does the offer still stand?

If so, please let us know some dates that would work well for you to have a group of us come by and take notes on your respective operations. I'm guessing an hour visit per farm is about right?

Once we have some proposed dates from you, I'll coordinate the group visits.

All: who here is interested in participating? Let me know in the comments section below.

cheers,
Adam

, ,

10 Comments

bncolby's picture
bncolby
Farm Tour

Since our meeting a 60 mile/hr wind ripped through an acre of six hoop houses. With twisted steel hoops and perlins the place looks like a war zone--harbingers of worst weather to come? We are also in the midst of changing farm managers and are in the middle of planning an entirely new model for our farm organization. So  I would prefer February or later for the tour. Once into February any day would likely be OK.

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Wow Ben!  Good luck with all

Wow Ben!  Good luck with all that you are dancing with!

jar's picture
jar
Farm Tour

Hi Ben,

I echo Suzies sentiments. You definitely have a big undertaking out there. I admire the energy and determination you are bringing to the farm. I have just read a great book called "Change Comes to Dinner" by Katherine Gustafson (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13164592-change-comes-to-dinner). It explores all the people like you that are now attempting to map out a reasonable response to the food predicament we are facing. I highly recommend it. If you need some kind of friendly support let us know, that is what this thing is about after all! Take care and best wishes on your re-organization. It will be great to see your farm when the time is right.

Jeff

bncolby's picture
bncolby
Farm

Thanks much, Jeff and Suzie

I hope that in the future, after we develop our new model folks can do more than just visit if you wish to participate or attend our workshops. I am thinking especially about our workshop on making biochar last fall. I have been talking to some of the people who organized the amazing conference on biochar at Sonoma State University to develop plans for this coming summer. This is really exciting stuff and affords an opportunity for farms small and large, and for even larger industrial models where the manufacture of biochar (which is sequestered into the soil for 100s of years and makes for highly fertile soil) also produces biogases and sucks CO2 out of the air.

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
i would love to tour the

i would love to tour the farm, when you've had a chance to get the work done.  like jeff, i admire and have a lot of respect for all of our local farmers.

i'm sorry i missed the biochar event, that is something i'm really interested in.

susan

bncolby's picture
bncolby
Farm activities

Hopefully by late sring Swallow Valley Farm will be up and running again as we develop a new model.

bncolby's picture
bncolby
Farm Tour

From Swallow Valley Farm.

I would prefer that we wait until late in March for the farm tour. It will take that long to get back up to speed. Our ewes will be dropping lambs before January is over and that is a super busy time. Our dairy is quite small but requires a lot of work.

PS The naming for the farm was due to over 300 cliff swallows nesting on the property. They don't have the beautiful coloring or forked tails that barn swallows do (we have some of those too) but people often mistakenly refer to the farm as the swallowtail farm.

AKGrannyWGrit's picture
AKGrannyWGrit
Farm Tour

A tour would be a little far for me to travel, any chance of someone video taping the highlights of the tours?

AK Granny

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Recording the tour

AK Granny -

Thanks for the interest. I'm happy to commit to recording the tour highlights by taking photos.

I also have a camcorder that I'll do my best to capture video highlights, as well - but I'm embarrased to admit I've never figured out how to upload from the camcorder to my computer. Hopefully I can. I'll also see if any other tour members can bring video recorders, too.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Sebastopol/Valley Ford Farm Tour set

With gratitude to Ben, we now have a fixed date for our tour of Swallow Valley Farm: Saturday, March 23

Who's in? RSVP to this Group Event I just created:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/event/80394/swallow-valley-farm-tour

Also: is anyone interested in writing up a summary of the experience for Peak Prosperity readers who can't make it? (I plan to do it if no one else wants to) If you might want to, email me.

Thanks, Ben!

A

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments