Let's talk about resilient parenting of babies/toddlers!

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Tue, Dec 18, 2012 - 11:49pm

In what ways do you think parenting babies/toddlers poses challenges for those who are seeking to improve their resiliency?  What practices do you feel are compatible with a resilient lifestyle?  Let's create an archive of ideas here that others can reference as they join the forum.

2 Comments

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Toddlers are sponges

My wife and I have pretty open discussions about the state of the world and the issues we face in the future and our 5 year old and 3 year old are aware of and absorbing probably far more than we know. One illustration of this was when we did a big stocking up of pasta in our emergency stores and secured it away.  My daughter being a really big fan of pasta decided she wanted pasta for lunch one day. 

Violet:  Daddy - can we have pasta for lunch?

Me: Nope - we don't have any pasta - you ate it all last week.  We need to make something else.

Violet: We do have pasta - The Emergency Food!  We have lots there!

Lets just say we had pasta for lunch that day.  It was a lunch emergency after all.

I find it is a juggling act of what to expose our kids to and how we balance the current norm with what the new norm will be like in the future.  It is also a little un-nerving to think about how my kids interact with other new kids that may not have the same exposure to concepts and ways of thinking about the world. 

I can just image what will be going through the mind of another parent when Violet asks for pasta and is shocked when they don't have any in their emerency stores.  Just makes me laugh and smile.

Red pills all around for us. 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
jasonw wrote: I find it is a
jasonw wrote:

I find it is a juggling act of what to expose our kids to and how we balance the current norm with what the new norm will be like in the future.  It is also a little un-nerving to think about how my kids interact with other new kids that may not have the same exposure to concepts and ways of thinking about the world. 

Can't even count how many times I've said "That's how they do it in their family; this is how we do it in our family.  Every family is different!" 

I guess for my kids one "advantage" is that when they visit their dad, he's more firmly in the...other kind of...world, and so they get a break from my way and get to see more about how mainstream America lives.  Ultimately they'll grow up and make their own choices, and I think it's good for them to have exposure to multiple ways of thinking. 

That said, I feel that any exposure other kids have to my own family's "ways" can only be educational for them. 

But my kids are older...  I see it as my responsibility to instill my kids with a strong sense of self-confidence and appropriate social tools so they can handle it if someone gives them a hard time about our "ways."  I think this is much easier with the kids not in school (i.e., homeschooled).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments