Pindo Palm

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 - 6:21pm

I just discovered another front-yard plant: the Pindo Palm Tree.  Pretty, huh? But wait - there's more.

It's productive, too. Look at all that fruit!

It can be used in landscaping on the USA East Coast as far north as Virginia Beach, VA ; USA West Coast up through Seattle, Washington and semi-arid places like TX and parts of AZ and NM, or in the Carribean and Central and South Ameruica (it's native to Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.) It's also known as the Jelly Palm, since this tree produces bright orange to yellow, juicy, edible fruit, often called Pindo dates, which can be used in jams and jellies. The ripe fruits are about the size of a cherry. They taste like a tart, sweet mixture of pineapple, apricot, and vanilla - and have a hard pineapple texture.

The only drawback seem to be that they are messy, so my neighbors planted them near the street. We can get seeds froom the neighbors and germinate the following these directions. If anyone wants seeds just send me a private message. I can rush them to you (the cannot dry out) for the price of overnight postage

2 Comments

Poet's picture
Poet
Nice Pindo, Wendo!

I think it'd be important to know how often do they fruit, when in the year do they fruit, how well do they keep, how long do they keep, etc.

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
pindo - moar facts

When do they fruit? in the summer, late summer here.

How much do you get? The neighbor's palms are maybe 6-ft tall (an the end of the driveway) and they fruit a bushel each.

I've no idea how long they keep or how well they keep.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments