Local holiday concerts and events -- such richness in our area!

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Mon, Dec 10, 2012 - 12:03pm

There are some great concerts and events with local musicians in the next couple of weeks.  Here are the ones that are on my personal radar; please reply with info about other locally supportive concerts, music gatherings, and art/craft events that you know about anywhere in Southern Vermont:

Nowell Sing We Clear (with locals Tony Barrand, Andy Davis, and Fred Breunig) performs tomorrow night – Tuesday, Dec 11th – at the Latchis in Brattleboro.  The tickets are a stretch for our family, but we love these guys and feel good about supporting them and the Latchis at the same time.  Tickets are available at Everyone’s Books.

Notably, there's a Sweetback Sisters holiday singalong at NEYT in Brattleboro on Sunday Dec 16th -- Stefan Amidon (who grew up in Brattleboro) and Zara Bode moved to Brattleboro recently, and Emily Miller is also "locally grown," with roots and family in Marlboro. 

On Friday, December 15th, renowned local fiddler Lissa Schneckenburger double-bills with the band Long Time Courting at the Hooker-Dunham in Brattleboro. 

On New Year’s Eve, Brattleboro locals Keith Murphy, Becky Tracy, and Peter & Mary Alice Amidon are once again offering their traditional annual concert at the Baptist Church on Main Street (the one with the window that was sold to support the overflow shelter.)  I understand they subsidize the ticket price to make it as inexpensive and accessible as reasonably possible given the expense of putting on the concert.  (If you are at that concert, come say hello and introduce yourself to me – I’ll be behind the CD table.)

And there are two free December pub sings open to all at McNeill’s Brewery on Elliot Street in Brattleboro.  On Christmas Eve from 3-5pm, Tony Barrand and other local favorites participate, along with a lot of “regular folks” who just like to sing.  Last year’s Christmas Eve pub sing was a huge success, with a full crowd and many beautiful seasonal songs shared in many-part harmony.  It’s something to come listen to even if you’re not a singer.  And there is also a “regular” pub sing on Saturday, Dec 22nd – this one will perhaps be less seasonally-focused, with traditional pub songs and sea shanties, but depending on the mood of the singers it may also “go seasonal.”  I’ll also be at both pub sings and would love it if other PPers would attend and say hello.  I’m the short brunette with the gaggle of kids…

Needless to say, supporting our local musicians by  attending their concerts and buying their CDs helps boost the local economy, as I’ve observed a “keep it local” attitude among many of the professional performers in town.

So, what am I missing?  There are still 21 days left in December!

1 Comment

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Also, for more information on the things I have listed

Please feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to help.  Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments